+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Primary Schools National Framework - to be discontinued? in Technical; Our teachers attended a cluster TD day yesterday and our ICT Coordinator tells me that they were told that the ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Primary Schools National Framework - to be discontinued?

Our teachers attended a cluster TD day yesterday and our ICT Coordinator tells me that they were told that the National Framework is to be discontinued likely from this April.

This being mainstay (and huge) resource that Primary Teachers draw upon heavily for planning and teaching this seems completely illogical. I'm trying to find out if this is really happening or like the sale of the Forests is it something that will be wisely stopped before it happens?

Thank Post

panic stations!

Sorry to revive an old post.

I have been told this too that the framework will be removed soon and teachers here are panicing.

We have 2 programs here (web based applications) called 'Primary Framework' and 'renewed Primary Framework'. I am not sure if both of these is just a copy of what is on their website or not, anyone know?

Next thing is to downlload the entire website??? I am trying a few programs at the moment but I am not holding my breath......one is called 'Backstreet Browser 3.2' and the other is called 'Website downloader for Windows'. Both are churning away right now from the start address of Primary Framework

So far BB has downloaded 1.4Mb but has a huge download que list and WD4W has downloaded 51Mb (both started at the same time(ish)).

I can not see these programs being smart enough to redirect links to files etc after they are store localy but only time will tell.

If anyone can help here....
    Do you think after I have download the whole site that if I imported the site into dreamweaver and ran a link check it would sort all the reletive links out for me? or am I just asking too much

3. Thanks to JAB1a from:

speckytecky (23rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for reviving this as I'd like an answer as well and suspect many in Primaries would as well. Seems utter madness that 'The Government' is axing and not replacing such a well used and replied upon resource.

Thank Post
    I just spoke to the teacher involved and they said they were "told" that the site is planned to be takendown by the end of March and they have already started to close some sections (I can not verify this as all links seem to be working for me but the site goes very deep).

Well Backstreet Browser seems to be terrible so far, what it did download was terrible and the links did not work at all.
    WSD4W seems to be taking it all in its stride, I am going to restart it as its started to download the internet lol not sure I have the harddrive space the pages that it did download all link ok to eachother localy which is AMAZING! (well amazing for me).

Specky what do you plan on doing about this? if my plan works I will whack it on a cd for you if needed

6. Thanks to JAB1a from:

speckytecky (23rd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That would be hugely appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    I just spoke to the teacher involved and they said they were "told" that the site is planned to be takendown by the end of March and they have already started to close some sections (I can not verify this as all links seem to be working for me but the site goes very deep).

Well Backstreet Browser seems to be terrible so far, what it did download was terrible and the links did not work at all.
    WSD4W seems to be taking it all in its stride, I am going to restart it as its started to download the internet lol not sure I have the harddrive space the pages that it did download all link ok to eachother localy which is AMAZING! (well amazing for me).

Specky what do you plan on doing about this? if my plan works I will whack it on a cd for you if needed

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the reasons this is being taken down is due the the National Curriculum Review. The idea is that most teachers do not need to be told how to do their jobs, already have access to a heap of resources (or should be creating their own) and if they want good advice then they should go to the marketplace for it and not rely on Govt or Local Govt advisors ... basically, go talk to and work with other schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good point no doubt, Tony, but it has taken many by complete surprise and they are left feeling like a limb is being wrenched off em.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info Grumble. What you said sounds comman sense and a much better way for the teachers to get/build resources but me being just a mere mortal IT tech its not my place to tell them how to organise their job (I will suggest it), mines just to help in any way possible and at the moment the only way of doing that in this request is to download the whole site, unless you have another idea? so I'm just trying to solve a request.

Well not going well so far, had the server downloading the site (which seems very slow) all night and will let it run until I give up or the site does lol.

At the moment WD4W is ticking along at 5710/144443 files to download, its getting there

Thank Post
    Well, I have come back after the holiday and guess what?.......... the site is still up and running, what a panic for nothing. Has anyone had any ideas or luck at keeping the site alive after (if) its removed?

I hope you all had a nice Easter

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    NCR has not long finished receiving contributions so it will be a bit longer before something new comes out. However, that won't stop sites being taken down at the drop of a hat. Teachers TV was meant to be left online until an host could be provided who would stream content for free ... that hasn't happened yet and the site is being taken offline on 19th April.

Better to be safe than sorry and grab what you can whilst you can.

Thank Post
    must have hit the 1 rather than 2. I think it's being taken offline on the 29th April.

Thank Post
    I thought it was being moved to some archives so will still be available.

I dont have the info with me but will post when I find it.

Thank Post
    ok think its going to be in this link

- the european archive : Collection page: European Archive

Thank Post
    Just in case it is not archived did anyone manage to download it?

I tried and failed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem with archives is that they are usually a scrape of teh site and not fully functional. If you take the Becta scrape which went onto the National Archives ... it just doesn't work properly ... the search is broken, some of the files are not where they should be ... the best thing you can do is use google (other search engines are available) to have a look at the cached search and then put the details of the dated scrape from the national archive in front of the URL ... and this will get you to the relevant page you want.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast