+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, 'Free' Software in Technical; Recently, I've been using free programmes as an alternative to having to buy software. Using programmes like Paint.net, LanView, OpenOffice, ...
    Thank Post

'Free' Software

Recently, I've been using free programmes as an alternative to having to buy software.
    Using programmes like Paint.net, LanView, OpenOffice, Art Rage etc. these are great applications which provide our needs.
    For example, when teachers wanted a programme for image manipulation, they said they wanted Photoshop on 20 PCs! After telling them they had more chance of platting fog, I had a look around and found Paint.net. Great programme and free! It covers all their needs and also was a piece of cake to install on an RM CC3 network.

With many of these programmes, they are developed by people in their spare time away from their 'real' jobs. When the programme is downloaded, there is often a link asking for a donation. Fair enough. But, does anyone actually donate? The only way to donate is generally to use PayPal. As schools don't have PayPal accounts, the only way to do so would be for Technician to donate and then try to claim the money back. This is unlikely to happen (why do you want to pay for free stuff?), and then the Technician is paying for software for the school.

As people don't accept County Council purchase orders, how and does anyone make donations to these people who make these great applications?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: 'Free' Software

most often if i am using the software at school often will beuisng it at home for one thing and anothier and if so then i donate small amount money for my ussage.

russ

metalmonkey

Hi

When I had a link on my site for donations (on for about 4 months or so). I had one donation. So i've removed it now. It's quite litterally not worth the bandwidth!

It's a very good point you raise about schools and our limits on spending. Purchase orders are the only real option. Although, any other method would be dangerous to the school. After all, who would control it?

The other point I'd like to raise is that when I used a shareware app for the school and made it a package for everyone to use, I spoke to the IT Coord, who laughed when I said I think we should pay, and he said, 'yeah ok, we'll pay them shall we' laughed some more then walked off. I ralised that shareware for schools is next to useless unless there is a physical limit that makes the school buy it.

Regards

Kevin Figg
    ICT Resources Manager

aka, MST-Software

Thank Post

Within 6 months of arriving here I requested and had issued a credit card. My justification for this is that there are times when it is the only accepted method of payment and gave me more options for getting the best price. A good example of this is ebuyer, who until recently, didn't use payment on account but were often the cheapest supplier...
    I would definately use this to make donations...
    @Kevin, it's a shame you've removed that link - because I am stil trialling your Lanview3. If it continues to be developed and some of the small problems are ironed out I will definately extend it's use and when I do would be looking at a 'reasonable donation' of around £2 per client = £400.
    I think it's imperative we donate to the people who spend thier time developing useful bits of software for us hard-pressed school techs and I personally will be doing more so in the future...
    How about a BACS transfer to school paypal account which could then be used to donate as and when? After all, we're only talking relatively small amounts...

Thank Post

Blimey, getting your own 'company credit card', now that is impressive.
    I think that if I and many others out there asked for one, the sound of laughter would be deafening!!

Thank Post

@Kevin: my Systems Manager and I were talking about giving a large (around £500) donation to MST for LanView when we first installed it. We've had some issues since trialling it, but are sure that when those issues are ironed out we too will donate to the project.

Keep up the good work!

Paul

metalmonkey

@Netman & Kingswood: That’s really kind of you both but to be honest I couldn't accept it. I don't make money from my software now, and I have no intention of making money from it in the future. So it's not fair that you kindly pay for it, while other people don't. Spend the money on buying a cheap new PC for a department in your school. Consider it a donation from MST!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by nawbus
    Blimey, getting your own 'company credit card', now that is impressive.
    I think that if I and many others out there asked for one, the sound of laughter would be deafening!!
    I have my own school B&Q storecard in my desk drawer :? I think it's still attached to the letter it came stuck to!

Andy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread