+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, RM CC4 USB Install Problems in Technical; Im new to the forum here but i have been working for my college for 3 years now and we ...

Thank Post

RM CC4 USB Install Problems

Im new to the forum here but i have been working for my college for 3 years now and we have always used RM software. (Not that im a big fan)

We have CC4 installed on 5 campuses. Over the last few months we have been having issues at one campus.

When a user staff or student with a basic account plugs a usb device into the pc, be it a usb pen or camera, tablet it asks to install the driver. This is the generic windows xp driver. It should install by itself, but it asks for a administrator to install it.

A logon box pops up for the local admin to type in details. Now i have an admin account so when i plug a device in it does it all by itself no need for me to type anything in.

But if the user takes that device to another campus and plugs it into another CC4 station (its the same build and same hardware) it will install no problem, with out asking for admin to install.

Has anyone else experianced this?

RM are not very helpfull and i know there are issues with CC4, you can read about it all over the web, but they deny it and say it all works perfect. They seem reluctant to let anyone know there is a problem.

rad
    Thank Post
    Not seen this before, I take it your call with RM is still open?

Have you tried building a computer on site where usb works and moving to site where usb doesn't work (I mean a physical computer base unit) what happens?

Thank Post
    yes i have a call in with RM.

Iv not tried to build a pc in one location and then move it to another.

At the moment i have created a local profile for staff to use when asked for install. This is just a work around and i dont want to leave this in place incase students get hold of it.

I will maybe try that tomorrow.

I was going to say these pcs with problems have adobe products on them, but we have the same software installed on other sites and they are all working.

I know RM have "USB fix" package, but i beleive this was for CC3. I still unistalled it anyway, but the problem is still there. USB fix reinstalled after.

I have check the policies aswell, all pcs should install signed and unsigned driver regardless.

Im stumped!

Thank Post
    I've seen this mentioned before.

Shout loudly and get someone from RM in to fix it.

If you have a decent size estate it's in their interests to fix it.

Thank Post
    cheers kmount

any idea where you seen it and what was mentioned? Its been bugging us for a few months now! il get on RMs back tomorrow aswell.

Thank Post
    From memory it was CC3 based but since CC4 seems to share similar issues it is probably still relevant and it was indeed to do the usb fix assignment but more interestingly a thread arose whereby a package was replacing this with an older version triggering the behaviour which could make sense if you have specific apps at this one campus that you don't have anywhere else.

You'll need an RM Account with Communities access to view these links but you should have one of those if not you can get one from rm.com/account and request access.

RM Communities

RM Communities

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    I have had this happen to me on several occasions in XP and re-registering the DLL files below has always fixed the issue. Microsoft have a few more things you can try in KB822798, but if none of those work try this.

Code:
    regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
    regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 /s initpki.dll
    regsvr32 /s dssenh.dll
    regsvr32 /s rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 /s gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
    regsvr32 /s slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32 /s mssip32.dll
    regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
    Last edited by Arthur; 11th January 2011 at 08:35 PM.

rad
    Thank Post
    You say you are on CC4, do you have a direct contact with any of the CC4 team (in 3rd line) that you can keep going to?

We do and know that any problem we can raise a call and direct it to him, and no doubt he will have an understanding of it. I would keep hassling RM as they will sort it out for you, but do occasionally need nudging.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    @scottishcollege:

This is part of the documentation for the USBfix care of RM:

HFXCC3105 delivers a new workstation package, USB Fix, which may be allocated to affected Community Connect 3 workstations. The USB Fix package, when installed, makes the following changes:

1. Deletes the contents of c:\windows\system32\catroot2.
    2. Re-registers the following system files:
    Softpub.dll; Wintrust.dll; Initpki.dll; Dssenh.dll; Rsaenh.dll; Gpkcsp.dll; Sccbase.dll; Slbcsp.dll; Mssip32.dll; Cryptdlg.dll.

More information on the issue addressed by this update
    The problem behaviour can be caused by file corruption in the catroot2 Windows system folder. For example, TEC243705 details one cause of the issue being .cat files. The driver signing mechanism ceases to function correctly. Running Sigverif.exe at a problem workstation verifies that driver files are no longer signed correctly. Microsoft® knowledge base article KB813442 discusses driver signing issues in Microsoft® Windows® XP.

If the problem re-occurs after the update has been installed, the USB fix package should be reallocated to affected workstations using the RM Management console. If a reallocate fails to fix the issue, the package should be deallocated and then allocated, this forces an uninstall and then a fresh install.

You can import a CC3 package and allocate it out on your CC4 system.

I will test our CC4 system tomorrow for the different user groups with USB pen drives and let you know how it goes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread