+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Cubase - Latency in Technical; Morning all, Is anyone currently using Cubase Studio version 5? Our music department is keen to bring it into school ...

Thank Post

Cubase - Latency

Morning all,

Is anyone currently using Cubase Studio version 5?

Our music department is keen to bring it into school along with some new midi keyboards, however I've read a lot about latency with onboard sound cards.

If anyone on here is using this software, can you recommend me an external soundcard so we can avoid this issue?

Cheers

Iain

2. Thanks to Iain.Faulkner from:

jedmondson (7th December 2010)

Thank Post
    We don't use Cubase but we do use other audio packages that suffer from audio latency. We use USB keyboards (that also have midi outputs). Instead of using the midi outputs we use the USB and that way we can get ASIO supporting soundacrds for about 50-60.

The soundcards we used previously were Creative Audigy 2ZS (or something like that) but they're fairly expensive, or at least the current equivalent is.

Thank Post
    We have loads of problems with Cubase not working with no Admin rights not loading the Midi voices properly (called HALION 1), but when they do work - they work well, not much latency.
    We use keyboards with integrated sound cards the M-AUDIO Keystudio 49i

Thank Post
    The crucial thing here is it's important to have something that has decent ASIO drivers.
    If your device uses generic ASIO drivers, it'll be pretty bad, but most Creative cards (or other cards with device-specific, custom drivers) have decent ASIO performance.

Once you have that, you can set the latency to be much lower in the ASIO setup panel thing (s'been a while since I used Cubase...!)
    10-20ms should be acceptable. 40+ and you'll notice it if you're playing VST / virtual instruments.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    We use the EMU 0404 sound cards in our music pc's

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks for the responses so far. Apologies, I meant internal cards though not external (remind me to sack my typist!).

MBird, thanks for the keyboard recommendation. We have in fact looked at these as a potential solution, but unfortunately I think they are going to be out of our price range (although I think this would be my preferred option having had counterpoint recommend them to me as well instead of replacing soundcards).

Thank Post
    We use some Creative Labs 7.1 bog standard PCI sound cards, no real latency problems once you switch the software to ASIO drivers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    We use some Creative Labs 7.1 bog standard PCI sound cards, no real latency problems once you switch the software to ASIO drivers.
    Yeah, that's what we have. Ours are the X-Fi Xtremegamer cards. Although, they're PCI. The PCI express ones though, don't support ASIO drivers.

Thank Post
    No latency issues here for us just using bog standard internal sound cards.

Thank Post
    First of all Creative (labs) do not make good asio drivers, they are a gaming/home theatre company. E-MU is creatives pro audio division, they make good asio drivers.

It really depends on how much money you have to spend but personally id look at M-audio and E-MU for lower end of the market. If you've got money to burn; Focusrite and MOTO.

Personally id avoid the soundcard/keyboard all in one. When the keyboard starts to fail, which it will do at some point, you lose your soundcard aswell.
    If money was the major factor and I wanted an external soundcard for recording a couple of guitars and/or a mic, with a single stereo out I guess id go for this
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/produc...ac-and-pc.html
    or if i had a few bob more http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/produc...t-track-2.html
    Anything cheaper than that and its pointless (see below)

BUT... if you are looking for a budget way of achieving around 23ms (1024samples @ 44,100) on a single stereo input or output (aslong as you dont have loads of synths running at once a modern dual core pentium/core2 will do), have a look at http://asio4all.com. Fruityloops actually comes bundled with it iirc so it can't be bad. I;ve been using it at home now for years and you can't knock it at all, works flawlessly. Infact I still use it when I can't be bothered turning on my monitors and mixer which my pro-audio soundcards are linked to.
    I've actually done some testing between Core Audio (apples built in interface) on a 2nd gen intel 2.26 macbook pro and asio4all on a core2 2.66ghz. At a useable audio quality the differences in performance were marginable.

Most of all; pro-audio is not something you can skimp on and thing you'll have an easy ride. If you are serious about using the kit (which you will have to be to justify spending anything given the asio4all is fine for casual use) firstly you need it to be stable, but also you need it to have good support for the software you are using; if you buy cheap these are the two areas where you will usually fall down.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 7th December 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Our latest Music Suite use M-Audio Audiophile 192 Sound Cards.

Our other Music Suite use Creative Audigy2 Xi-Fi Platinum cards, no issues with them either.

Thank Post
    @j17sparky The budget card doesn't seem to mention having any MIDI inputs...maybe I missed something?

Thank Post
    However if you're stuck with Creative cards, I used kX Project drivers with my circa-2002 30 Creative SBLive 5.1 card to get me through my three year music technology degree.

From the looks of things they haven't been updated in a good while, but if your card is compatible, those drivers are fantastic!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    @j17sparky The budget card doesn't seem to mention having any MIDI inputs...maybe I missed something?
    All/most "midi" keyboards come with a USB interface. Half decent ones are true plug and play, no drivers or anything. If you want to connect old existing keyboards through a midi interface you can buy seperate midi to usb convertors or buy a soundcard with a midi port.

MIDI used to be the full interface of both actual physical port and protocol. Now it is mainly used when refering to the protocol - infact alot of budget gear don't even come with a midi port as you have seen. This is what tends to confuse people as even usb only keyboards/controllers are called midi keyboards/controllers
    Last edited by j17sparky; 8th December 2010 at 09:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Is there any speed differences or advantages/disadvantages to either USB or MIDI?
    Last edited by DAZZD88; 8th December 2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Dyslexic fingers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast