+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, pinnacle 14 - import video probelm in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

pinnacle 14 - import video probelm

Hi All,

I have installed Pinnacle 14 in one of our computer rooms but when I tested it there is a problem when trying to import video clips, it just freezes and all you can do is end the program in task manager.

I rang Pinnacle support and they said it is because on our network we redirect My Documents to the pupilís user spaces and Pinnacle needs to be My Documents on the C drive. But they had no solution for me!

Has anyone else come across this problem or got any ideas how I could get round this?

Thank you
    Dsquared2

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is a pain for us, we have various bits working on some machines but not others and I haven't had time to sit down and sort it out yet.

Does it freeze when you load the import screen, or do you get to the option where you can start the import?

Thank Post
    Gads - Pinnacle 14. The latest pain in my bum.

Our Media Studies dept moved from Pinnacle 8 (because it was cheap) to Pinnacle 14 (because it should be similar to what they were used to).

It INSISTS on resetting preferences back to using "My Documents" for temporary folders, Video Import and other things. Every bloody time you run it.

Our users log in with My Documents redirected to their home folder - so this obviously presents amusing problems of their home folder filling up in about a nanosecond unless they remember to set each setting back to using the D: partition (NTFS partition blocked to all but those doing video editing).

I ended up creating local user accounts on the PCs, as I couldn't see any way round it.

Anyone have any idea if ULead is any better within a classroom environment? I disliked Pinnacle V8. I LOATHE V14.

Regards,
    Gerard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've now scrapped Pinnacle 14 completely.

I spent the whole of last term trying to get it to play ball, and not just with tiny little issues but big massive ones like not importing properly and playing clips back (for some reason it had major problems with losing codecs). I even took the drastic measure of wiping the whole suite and reinstalling from scratch, only for it to fail again in a week.

We've now got Premiere Elements in, had it 2 weeks and I haven't heard a single word out of the media department since!

5. Thanks to Cache from:

gerardsweeney (9th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Knew I shouldn't have said anything.

Just to update that I've just installed Photoshop CS5 on 3 machines with Premiere Elements on and now Elements won't start.

It's a profile issue, but I can't track it down (as local profile users are unaffected)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread