+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Deep Freeze Doubt in Technical; Dear Sir, I am working in Private Institution. I have more than 300 Systems. My problem is some machines OS ...

Thank Post

Deep Freeze Doubt

Dear Sir,

I am working in Private Institution. I have more than 300

Systems. My problem is some machines OS corrupted regularly.

My friend told use Deep Freeze software.

My Situation is Symantec endpoint client is loaded to all the machines. virus

definition updates is automatically updated through Symantec

Endpoint Server. oracle server is loaded in few machines for

research puprose.

My doubt is how to install deep freeze without affcet

Symantec endpoint updates and oracle data base.

Or any other software available like Deep Freeze

Thank U

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you want Symantec and Oracle to update properly you'll need a seperate partition with these install and you'll have to tell deep freeze to keep that partition thawed. At least that was how it was the last time I looked. Net-Runna is another product which can do this (Allows for imaging too) however Net-Runna can be told to leave seperate folders and files alone on any drive/partition (which I think is a better option) there are at least two other options available out there that I know to firstly Comodo Time Machine and secondly a hardware based Jungsoft HDD Sheriff I have no idea how good either of these is but the former has been mentioned on edugeek before.

Wes

Thank Post
    We have used Deep Freeze for about five years now, and Symantec Endpoint Protection for about two. Deep Freeze has significantly reduced problems with our computers.

For Symantec, we do not have it installed to a separate partition. Instead, we have a daily "maintenance period" scheduled during the night, when Deep Freeze automatically "thaws" all the computers and reboots. I have this maintenance period scheduled for about four hours, which is more than enough time for Symantec to push the updates to the clients, based on our settings in the Symantec console. I looked into the separate partition, but decided against it in case a bad virus definition file is sent out (like happened to McAfee earlier this year), as then if there are any problems with a definition file, cleaning up the problems is as simple as rebooting all the computers (by waiting until the definitions have been out for several hours before they are applied to the "thawed" state, then we know if there are any major issues).

We don't use Oracle here, but it sounds like this might have to go to a separate partition.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by netadmin View Post
    We have used Deep Freeze for about five years now, and Symantec Endpoint Protection for about two. Deep Freeze has significantly reduced problems with our computers.

For Symantec, we do not have it installed to a separate partition. Instead, we have a daily "maintenance period" scheduled during the night, when Deep Freeze automatically "thaws" all the computers and reboots. I have this maintenance period scheduled for about four hours, which is more than enough time for Symantec to push the updates to the clients, based on our settings in the Symantec console. I looked into the separate partition, but decided against it in case a bad virus definition file is sent out (like happened to McAfee earlier this year), as then if there are any problems with a definition file, cleaning up the problems is as simple as rebooting all the computers (by waiting until the definitions have been out for several hours before they are applied to the "thawed" state, then we know if there are any major issues).

We don't use Oracle here, but it sounds like this might have to go to a separate partition.
    Same setup here, Deep Freeze with Endpoint 11 going on a little over year. The daily maintenance period handles the AV updates, and WSUS updates very nicely. From one educational IT guy to another, I highly recommend it. Can't give any input on Oracle however....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread