+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Adobe premiere elements 9 in Technical; Just installed this on 10 PCs which are used for media, installed as administrator, restarted, logged back on and program ...
    Thank Post

Adobe premiere elements 9

Just installed this on 10 PCs which are used for media, installed as administrator, restarted, logged back on and program works fine...

Log on as a teacher or a student and the program fails to run completely, i've been running procmon to see if i can spot any access denied results coming up but that doesn't appear to be the case

I've tried setting the student group as a local admin of the machine im on, tried giving them full permissions to the adobe install folder, full perms to the common files folder, full perms to the administrator appdata folder (procmon was refering to it occasionally) but nothing seems to be working.

Students and teachers are very restricted mandatory profiles. Help please

Thank Post
    I was just about to start a thread related to this - but I'll resurrect this one instead.

The problem will be that APE doesn't appear to be well designed for networks as it seems to need access to "my documents" which is part of the profile. without that, it's REALLY unstable to the point of unusable. This was proved when a member of staff tried to use it on a school laptop she'd taken home - complete fail with the standard settings (redirected my documents for staff), but fine when redirection was removed.

Whilst we aren't quite as screwed down as the OP, we do have my documents redirected to a folder named "No Entry" that the pupils don't have access to, to force them to save on their Z: drives (and hence avoid "sir I've lost my work" which happened all the time when my docs was available to them).

I've been through all the settings I can find in APE, but can't seem to stop this behaviour. Is it possible I wonder?

I really don't want to enable my documents again just for this one program as it's a whole can of worms when people don't look where they're saving. Maybe it's possible to set the GPO so that if a user is on a machine with APE (it's only in one room) then their my documents isn't redirected?? I'll do some digging but if anyone can help with that it'd be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    I ended up creating a locked down media specific account with a media drive mapping via a little startup program that made the user type their username in to it to map to their folder. It does mean that if they know each others usernames they can get to each others folders but it was the easiest fix i could come up with

4. Thanks to mrbios from:

BatchFile (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    I ended up creating a locked down media specific account with a media drive mapping via a little startup program that made the user type their username in to it to map to their folder. It does mean that if they know each others usernames they can get to each others folders but it was the easiest fix i could come up with
    Now there's a great outside the box idea I'll give that a go!

Thank Post
    Just incase your interested in my little program for mapping drives, i made it in VB:

Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles submit.Click

If Directory.Exists(path:="\\server\media\" + username.Text) = True Then
                Process.Start("Net", "Use Z: \\fs1\media\" + username.Text)
            ElseIf Directory.Exists(path:="\\server\media\" + username.Text) = False Then
                Directory.CreateDirectory(path:="\\fs1\media\" + username.Text)
                Process.Start("Net", "Use Z: \\server\media\" + username.Text )
            End If
        End Sub
    Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click_1(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Process.Start("Net", "Use Z: /Delete")
        End Sub
    End Class
    Code:
        Private Sub MediaMapping_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            submit.Enabled = False
        End Sub
    Code:
        Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles username.TextChanged
            If username.TextLength > 4 Then submit.Enabled = True Else If username.TextLength < 9 Then submit.Enabled = False
        End Sub
    1 text box + 2 buttons = win

Not sure if that actually helps, im a VB noob so just hashed it together

I have a share called \\server\media

When someone types their username it checks if the folder exists, if it does it maps it to Z: and if it doesn't it creates a folder with the username they entered and maps that. If a mapped drive already exists on that letter there is a delete button to remove it.

7. Thanks to mrbios from:

BatchFile (17th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread