+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, that old chestnut: successmaker! in Technical; Hi guys, i've had a bit of a look on here already and a number of people have already asked ...

Thank Post

that old chestnut: successmaker!

Hi guys,

i've had a bit of a look on here already and a number of people have already asked the question, but there doesn't seem to have been many answers as of yet....

anyway. we've just installed Win7 across our network and have come to install Successmaker. it's having a few issues, and i've spoken to their tech support who say it categorically does not work, however they will be releasing an update in the near future.

has anybody out there managed to get this to work, or if not, do you know of any good alternatives to it??

Cheers,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,339 Posts
    Would love an alternative to it.

Ben

Thank Post
    We have binned successmaker due to cost but are yet to find a good alternative that, in the staffs words, "they can dump kids on and leave them to get on with it".

Thank Post
    We dumped it at least 7 years ago. Is it not 16-bit? In which case you'll never get it to work on Win 7.

Thank Post
    uhh not entirely sure come to think of it. there's been a release in the last few years of version 1.3, which may have been updated. they say that there will be a release to work with Vista and then Win7 shortly, but we shall see i suppose!

just wish someone could make a bit of software to do the same which actually works.....

Thank Post
    Somone could make a bit of money here - remember RM charging 1000 a machine years ago

Thank Post
    oh it's better now. It's only 970, I know as I had to buy an extra licence last year. But was offered 3 for 1700. Bargain!

Thank Post
    what version you running we are on 1.7 havent tried on 7 but ill give it ago tomorrow

Thank Post
    OMG - what is it with RM? I've spoken to them only today about re-installing SM on W7 and they said version 1.3 would work with no problems but wouldn't supply any instructions on how we could go about installing it ourselves (our support contract expired a couple of years ago). They also said that we have the latest version (!!!). If anyone has it running in W7 I'd like to know how before I waste many hours trying - also it would help if could use our new 2008 servers rather than have to setup a 2003 one.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denon101 View Post
    oh it's better now. It's only 970, I know as I had to buy an extra licence last year. But was offered 3 for 1,700. Bargain!
    I know Adobe are a much bigger company, but how can SuccessMaker cost more than a retail copy of Photoshop CS5 Extended (743)? If the government want to save money, perhaps they should crack-down on companies selling vastly overpriced software to schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee View Post
    What is it with RM?
    Scoris Assessor is another good example. It is written by RM, yet isn't supported on RM networks. How is that even possible?

Thank Post
    I'm running the Successmaker Enterprise server (with old Sybase SQL Anywhere) on a Server 2003 server, ported across from a Windows Server 2000 install by migrating the registry, database etc. This is then running on a VM. Just tried our 1.0 install I believe from the LOGIN.exe version info and it has installed perfectly on Windows 7 x64. We haven't had a support contract for years too. Will try to help if I can.

Thank Post
    Successmaker has been the bane of my life since I have been working in Secondary Education. The program has stopped working sighting error code 2 as the issue. All RM can say is "it must be your shortcuts". Well i've spent 3 hours on it logged in as admin. Anyone able to help?

Thank Post
    Is your mapped network drive working correctly (we have ours as P? Is your local config file, which point to the SM server, correct - usually it's:

[sme]
    Link=TCPIP
    Address=serverip:2638

Stored in C:\ResultsManager\Bin\asasrv

Have users got Modify permissions on all SM folders?

Thank Post
    we are on 1.3 and just tried to get it working on win 7 to not much avail - it works for domain admins, on x64 and x32 but not regular users staff/students

i'm actually trying to get it working in APP-V captured on a winxp machine, which works as above, the errors I get are: Error: JZ006: Caught IOException.java.net.SocketException: Create

Now obviously SME DOES work on Win7 as i've had it running as a DA, so i'm thinking it must be a permissions issue

The mapped network drive (L is correct and users have the correct permissions on it (it works on XP previously)

We're using Sybase on a 2003 server, though I wasn't around when all of this was set up, its a matter of urgency that we get this sorted as soon as!

well, they say its urgent anyway!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd suggest a virtual machine/server with SM on it that the students can access, that should work instead of messing with Windows 7, I think my old school had a Wino 2000 server with it on and we just accessed the virtual machine server and used it like that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread