+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Limes software on a CC3 network in Technical; Hi everyone, I'm trying to get Limes Millennia to work on our 'fabulous' CC3 network. The people at Softlink have ...
    Thank Post

Limes software on a CC3 network

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to get Limes Millennia to work on our 'fabulous' CC3 network.
    The people at Softlink have been very good, and they say it works well on these networks.
    The problem is that Limes must be located on the C drive but CC3 won't allow non-systemadmin users to acces the C drive.
    So how do I allow student librarians to run the software without giving them full network permissions (which I don't really want to do!)?
    I can make them 'Privileged users' on the one PC at the desk, but that still allows access to areas they shouldn't see.
    Our current stand-alone Windows Me computer that is being used is starting to conk out, so any help would be a life saver!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Limes software on a CC3 network

Run ACL Detective while using software and it will create writeaccess.ini that gives users correct permission to correct folder/files.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi Ian. Does Limes get installed to Program Files? If so, there shouldn't be that many problems running it.

To combat the permissions issue, you could probably set the security on the directory it was installed to, to give "Domain Users" (or whichever AD group people are in) write permissions or whatever else they need.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

Ian.S:
    Have you created the package to push out to the clients or are you installing locally, is my first question. Secondly if installing locally you may need to create a path rule and a hash rule. Have done this lot's of times and no problem to date.

As my colleague has mentioned if you install locally to c:\program files\Limesdir? then as i have mentioned create path and hashes.

Also as RussDev has mentioned run ACL detective as last resort.

Thank Post

WOW! Thanks everybody, that was quick!
    Some excellent ideas coming in too. I'll try and give you more info.

Limes doesn't get 'installed', there's no setup, package or MSI to create.
    It's basically a database where you create a shortcut to the.exe which then links to the MDB file for it to run.
    It's located in C:\Library and I've tried locating it in other folders (C:\program files & RMPublic on the server) but it will not run if it's not directly on C. It will run at C:\Library on the server, but not when linked to from a workstation.
    Can I use the RM tools like ACL Detective on software that hasn't been through the Appication Wizard?
    I've created path & hash rules in the Management Console, but I believe that RM's own rules stop any non-admin to C.
    So it's catch 22. It'll only run where RM won't let it run.
    I'll try fiddling with the permissions and see if that helps.
    Cheers!

Thank Post

Go to configuration options in the management console and set a path rule to allow c:\library\*

Also set a file rule to the exe within the library folder

That should work after a restart of the station.

Chris

Thank Post

Also, won't it run from the public share?

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.S
    ////
    Can I use the RM tools like ACL Detective on software that hasn't been through the Appication Wizard?...
    Yes the package called windows messenger service is designed for that purpose.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I know im not a CC3 user, but I run limes just from a network share without any local install just a shortcut to the server and it works fine for me, maybe I am just lucky perhaps?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Guess you must be john

Must be RM's too secure to just have any old app running from a share like that .... :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Im always lucky, have been for many many many many years, shame I still aint won the lottery yet.

Also I am not saying I like the program, its utter big hairy pants I hate it but its not my choice.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.S
    WOW! Thanks everybody, that was quick!
    Some excellent ideas coming in too. I'll try and give you more info.

Limes doesn't get 'installed', there's no setup, package or MSI to create.
    It's basically a database where you create a shortcut to the.exe which then links to the MDB file for it to run.
    It's located in C:\Library and I've tried locating it in other folders (C:\program files & RMPublic on the server) but it will not run if it's not directly on C. It will run at C:\Library on the server, but not when linked to from a workstation.

Cheers!
    Hmm intersting that it must run from C drive, kinda implies there's something hardcoded to refer to it there, in all probablility that's going to have the actual directory hard coded too.

I'd try installing in the directory C:\Library\ on the machine you want to run it on share it as a hidden share by putting a "$" at the end of the share name, then go into RMs management console =>configuration settings => software restriction settings . In there set a path rule using the UNC and chosen share name eg \\librarymachine name\share name$

On Library machine set your ntfs permisions as you require and reboot.

That should allow the .exe to run.

I suspect that maybe a problem is that ( if I've got the right impression of what the software does ) is that it's trying to create files for a cataloge and so the users may have to be given quite a lot of permission to that directory ( more of a problem if it's trying to write to another directory and doesn't delare where ) so you might be best starting with Full Control permissions to make sure thats not intefering while you get it running and gradually reduce them to the minimum needed.
    Also be aware that if it does do that and the files as important you might want to think about scripting a daily copy of that directory to somewhere where it's being backed up.

If it runs on the server C drive you could do it there but if my suspicions are correct about it needing to store files it's not an optimal solution as it might gradually eat up the space on your sever C drive. ( Probably much better it does that on a workstation

Edit : I missed out the bit about shortcuts.

Make you shortcuts to the \\machine\share$\programe.exe and stick them in the shortcut bank and then use rm manager to put them in a program set.

Thank Post

Once again, thanks for the replies.
    It looks like it'll be next week before I get the chance to try some of these (cos' we're all just sitting around with nothing to do, right? ).

How about if we try it from this angle - I know the software works if I give the 'Librarian' user 'privileged user' access, but I don't want certain students who I don't trust to go where they're not supposed to go, so would restricting the drives and shared areas that have now become accessable, work?

John - I agree, the software is pants, but software for the Library comes a long way down the budget list.

glensc - I'll be trying your ideas too, backing up from the C drive was going to be the next thing to tackle once the software was running OK.

Thank Post

you dont even need to set privilaged user.

Install the software as an admin, on the C:\library folder, just add the librarian's username to the security permissions and give them the required permissions, they will then apply to all subfolders.

Chris

Thank Post

SUCCESS!!!
    The only thing today to put a smile on my face is...
    Getting Limes to work!
    I was looking at the Librarians profile in the Management Console, and there was one of the boxes I've never used, 'Legacy programs enabled'.
    You know when something smacks you in the face (yeah, you all shout, smack the newbie!), and you think "that can't be it, can it?". It was.
    I forgot the software is so old it wasn't designed for XP (we currently run it on Me).
    I've set the permissions to allow everything for the user on the drive, so I'll start tightening them down to an acceptable limit, then I'll pass the PC ready to use.
    Now then, back to setting up our VLE. :cry:
    Thanks everyone for the help and ideas, if I hadn't come here then I wouldn't have had the heart to go back to working on the software.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast