Educational Software Thread, SuccessMaker has me stumped... in Technical; We run a rather ancient version of SuccessMaker in our learning support department.
We replaced their even more ancient computers ...
7th September 2010, 03:03 PM #1
SuccessMaker has me stumped...
We run a rather ancient version of SuccessMaker in our learning support department.
We replaced their even more ancient computers in the holiday with some nice new shiny ones, and now we are finding SuccessMaker isn't happy.
The os on the clients is Windows XP Pro SP3.
We don't have a support contract with RM.
In the past we encountered the same issue, which was solved by ensuring the users had full control permissions access to the relevant folders and files, but this time it hasn't worked.
Drives T: (CAI1) and U: (HISTORY) are mapped by GP. On the clients there is the LOCALCAI folder in C: and the CCC folder in C:\Windows.
On the old machines everyone is set to have full control over these folders and it works with no errors. On the new machines we have set the permissions the same but when the users exit one of the applications, such as Reading Adventures, an error message pops up saying that an error has occurred in SPS, choose close or ignore. After this another error dialog appears giving an application error, stating that "SPS caused a GPF in module SPSDRIVE.EXE at 0007:8D56. Choose close. SPS will close."
SuccessMaker then closes instead of returning you to the log on screen.
As I say, we had this exact problem before when we re-imaged the old PCs, but we solved it by changing the permissions. I'm stumped as to why it hasn't worked this time. The problem is confusing because it happens when logged on as an administrator as well. I know I'm probably missing something really simple so help and ridicule will be much appreciated.
7th September 2010, 03:55 PM #2
Any suggestions / ideas? Anybody. Even if it's just to mock us for having such a useless package.
7th September 2010, 04:24 PM #3
We to have replaced the SuccessMaker computers with brand new machines and hence may have the same issue.
When I am next passing I will get the software checked to see if we have the same issue (Win XP SP3 too)
7th September 2010, 04:56 PM #4
Just checking have you tried in compatibility mode (dos/95 maybe) and have you tried running procmon (which I think now included filemon and regmon) from MS to record what it is doing and where it trips up.
Originally Posted by tech_guy
Other things, are you running SATA drives in SATA mode or IDE emulation, if native SATA this could cause a difference if they have used some really bad practice when grabbing files or checking something. The other consideration is how big the drives are, if they are much bigger than the old ones and the software runs a diskspace check and dumps the result into a variable type to small to deal with it this could also cause random issues (have had this happen). To fix this you could try dumping it on its own small partition to make it happy (mounted VHDs work wonders in 7).
You could also try running it through the application compatibility toolkit for XP which can moniter it for some forms of retarded behaviour while it runs which may also give you some clues.
Thanks to SYNACK from:
tech_guy (7th September 2010)
7th September 2010, 07:14 PM #5
I'll have a look on one of our re-imaged XP SP3 machines that haven't been used yet, see if we get the sam issue in the morning and let you know what happens and what rectifies it if I can sort it.
By Little-Miss in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Last Post: 19th May 2010, 05:07 PM
By farquea in forum Windows
Last Post: 25th November 2009, 10:28 AM
By Little-Miss in forum Web Development
Last Post: 28th May 2009, 02:53 PM
By Bestbett in forum Windows
Last Post: 19th September 2008, 10:00 PM
By Lee_K_81 in forum Wireless Networks
Last Post: 17th March 2008, 01:33 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)