+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Promethean software on SMART IWB ??? in Technical; Our new deputy is keen on getting Promethean boards installed in school but seeing as we have smart boards in ...
    Thank Post

Promethean software on SMART IWB ???

Our new deputy is keen on getting Promethean boards installed in school but seeing as we have smart boards in every room i see this as a bit pointless....

I basically need to know 2 things...

1. Can i buy Promethean software without buying a whiteboard?
    2. Will it run on SMART boards...

I cant see any reason why it wouldnt run on a smart board but i've never looked at the software so i dont know..

TheLibrarian
    You will need to purchase an ActivHub as well as the software to proprerly license the school.

Other than that, it's pretty much standard stuff.

Thank Post
    You can purchase ActivInspire stand-alone licences, they are not cheap at >£300. I saw it on sale recently at Promethean Activinspire Professional DVD Software | Ebuyer.com

I don't know if there is any small print which demands Promethean hardware, or if a site licence would be possible.

Thank Post
    Additionally - keep in mind the hardware and software are not designed for eachother. So your SMART pens will not automatically draw. And Promethean has changed their licensing to specifically charge extra if you wish to use their software on a third-party product.

Thank Post
    dosent the smart licence forbid running it on other whiteboards?

Thank Post
    Good question,

That's only for the software package (SMART Notebook) which requires a license for use on competitor products (it can be applied for through a local Reseller). They do have a license in mind for mixed environments where people are using other brands of products simultaneously.

The hardware on its own can be used on any competitor software package (which I believe is the standard) if a person can obtain the stamp of approval to use the software (I imagine the license rules are close to SMART's in that regard for most companies) For example, Promethean also requires a special license if you want to use their software on another companies hardware (I believe).

But then you might as well stick with the SMART Software on those units (its free - and you won't need to pay for a competitors license from Promethean). Its a tough one when you factor in licensing agreements for either side.

Thank Post
    This opens up a software licensing minefield with third party hardware solutions such as the Epson EB-450Wi Interactive projector which will work with the Promethean and Smart software. We have had discussions with a supplier about this and are waiting for a formal documented position regarding software licence and subsequent upgrades.

The beauty of these devices is they can cope with both 4:3 and widescreen sources, switching automatically and you can use any surface to project an image & use a pen. Right now our staff don't like using widescreen laptops coupled to XGA projectors & 4:3 whiteboards & we are having increasing difficulty in obtaining 4:3 screen laptops. The prospect of replacing all IWB & projectors with widescreen is prohibitively expensive & devices like the Epson offer a way forward.

Dell also have a new interactive projector too although I have not seen that in action.

Thank Post
    Primary or Secondary? I work in the former, and 3 of my 4 schools are Smart; the other is Promethean. I have to say that in a Primary environment I'd recommend Smart any day. (In fact one of the 3 has just switched back to Smart - before I started! - as they decided it was better). Either way, if it's just because it's what the deputy is used to, it seems a massive waste of money.

That said, the Promethean folk on here are very helpful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Either way, if it's just because it's what the deputy is used to, it seems a massive waste of money.
    This, money is very thin on the ground. You need to discuss this with the head teacher and the business manager and make sure they understand that it's very expensive and pointless project. You also need to make sure they understand the difficulties that will be caused by having a mixture of different technologies in use and that you are so far down the Smart route it would be madness to deviate from it.

The chances are even if you embark on this there will not be funding to change every board in your school, and that the money being spend on replacing perfectly servicable IWBs will take funds away from nessesary IT spending.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 15th July 2010 at 09:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your replies, I have a quote from one of my resellers . . . . . . . £490 PER MACHINE !!!!!!
    lol.. dont think we'll be bothering...

Thank Post
    Hi Jamin100

I am local to the Birmingham area and work with SMART. I would be more than happy to offer some hints and tips for using the SMART Notebook Software, if you think that would be of use?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread