+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Load of SMARTboard resources...how to use them on a Hitachi Cambridge IWB? in Technical; Hi all we have a load of resources in notebook file format (SMART) but the IWB in the room of ...

Thank Post

Load of SMARTboard resources...how to use them on a Hitachi Cambridge IWB?

Hi all we have a load of resources in notebook file format (SMART) but the IWB in the room of this teacher is a Hitachi Cambridge.

Does anyone know how I can get the Hitachi board to open these resources interactively? We do have the SMART notebook software so opening up the resources on the laptop and displaying them on the board is not a problem, its how she can use those resources interactively?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    What doesn't work? Surely it's just the case of a pen pretending to be a mouse, should work on any board

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IIRC, using smart notebook on any device other than a Smartboard is against their terms and conditions and would void the license to use the software.

I dunno if they've included a technical check now, but I don't see a particular issue, as a smartboard is just a giant mouse really, as is a hitachi cambridge board (which, BTW, I hate. Stupid pens).

Thank Post
    I havent had chance to look yet but on the other SMART IWB we have in school when you install the software it checks to see if a SMART IWB is present. When I install it on the laptop will it not realize its not a SMART board?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rapid_f1 View Post
    I havent had chance to look yet but on the other SMART IWB we have in school when you install the software it checks to see if a SMART IWB is present. When I install it on the laptop will it not realize its not a SMART board?
    Smart software is made up of 2 parts - the driver, and the notebook software, so without the driver software I don't think it is integrated with the board. We have the notebook software installed on various machines which don't connect to boards for prep work.
    Last edited by localzuk; 5th July 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Thank Post
    I tested this out today and you are right. I installed the SMART Notebook software but deselected installing the drivers. Hooked up the USB cable from the Hitachi IWB and I simply opened up a blank SMART Notebook file and was using the pen interactively.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rapid_f1 View Post
    I tested this out today and you are right. I installed the SMART Notebook software but deselected installing the drivers. Hooked up the USB cable from the Hitachi IWB and I simply opened up a blank SMART Notebook file and was using the pen interactively.
    Be warned, as I said though, you are breaching the terms of the software license by doing so.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smarttech.com View Post
    ATTENTION: Please note that SMART Notebook Software is permitted only for use on SMART products. Use of the SMART Notebook Software is subject to the terms and conditions of the Software End User License Agreement. SMART Notebook Software may NOT be used on competitive products without a valid license from SMART. SMART actively monitors the use of its products to ensure it is in compliance with the productís terms of use and will take appropriate actions where inconsistencies exist.
    You have been warned

Thank Post
    so that whole standard whiteboard system that becta was on about never went anywhere?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    so that whole standard whiteboard system that becta was on about never went anywhere?
    Never heard about this. I don't think that it would be possible really - these companies use their different software packages to differentiate themselves in their market. Why do people buy Smart boards over Promethean or Promethean over Cambridge? They all cost similar amounts, but the software is vastly different. (Not to mention the pens!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Why do people buy Smart boards over Promethean or Promethean over Cambridge?
    Because they initially bought a particular brand, so resources were created to work with that brand's software, so now they have to buy that brand again to be able to re-use their resources.

I've still got the Becta Common Whiteboard Format whitepaper on my desk - it's a well-thought-out XML-based format based on, and compatible with, SVG. The idea was that whiteboard software manufacturers would write import/export routines to this format - you might not be able to transfer all the information between systems, but you should be able to manage the basics. I don't know how far along, if at all, support for any kind import/export features are - not having any IWBs here, I don't really keep up on the latest features of any software.

I don't know how important a common file format is any more - if the importance is on being able to access your content on any interactive whiteboard then an Internet-accesible IWB application might be more useful.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Be warned, as I said though, you are breaching the terms of the software license by doing so.
    I think Promethian will sell you a USB license dongle to let you use their software on another board - do SMART offer something similar?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

SMARTboard licence details

I have just downloaded the latest SMART notebook software and drivers, and got an email from SMART about changes to their licence agreement. They are clarifying the licence. There was a link to a pdf about the licence, which I have attached. I think this is valid here as well as in the USA.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andie; 7th July 2010 at 01:50 PM.

14. 3 Thanks to Andie:

dhicks (7th July 2010), localzuk (7th July 2010), SYSMAN_MK (7th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I think Promethian will sell you a USB license dongle to let you use their software on another board - do SMART offer something similar?

--
    David Hicks
    Looks like http://express.smarttech.com/ is it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Indeed - looks a bit basic on the drawing features, but I don't have a Smartboard file to test it with - does it import existing Smartboard files okay?

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast