What are the differences between StarOffice 8 software and the OpenOffice.org 2.0?
StarOffice 8 software is a commercial product built on OpenOffice.org’s open source code to provide the best value, multi-platform Microsoft compatible office suite aimed at organizations and consumers. OpenOffice.org 2.0 is the leading open-source project aimed at users of free software, independent developers and the open source community. StarOffice includes licensed-in, third-party technology such as:
* Spellchecker and thesaurus
* Mail Merge Wizard does not have the ability to send mail merge documents as emails.
* Select fonts including Windows metrically equivalent fonts and Asian language fonts
* Select filters, including Asian word processor filters
* Integration of additional templates and extensive clipart gallery
* Migration Tools and Macro Migration Wizard. The converted macros does not run in OpenOffice.org
* Sun Java System Configuration Manager for Solaris, Linux and Windows In addition to product differences, StarOffice offers:
o Updates/upgrades on CD
o Sun installation and user documentation
o 24x7 Web based support for enterprises and consumers
o Help desk support
o Warranties and indemnification guarantee Training
o Professional services for migration and deployment
For a detailed comparison, please see. For more information on components and services available for the OpenOffice.org product, visit the OpenOffice.org Web site.