+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Educational Software Thread, GIMP or Photoshop in Technical; Originally Posted by CyberNerd I meant that computer graphics are a small area of a design course compared for example ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I meant that computer graphics are a small area of a design course compared for example to the scientific industry. Yet 'industry standard' scientific applications are not taught in schools because teachers are expected to teach the fundamentals of science rather than the bells and whistles.

I really don't think that for simple work that photoshop should be considered the tool of choice these days. Several years ago, photoshop *was* the only tool that could do most image manipulation work, but things have moved on and the level that students need to work at do not justify the complexity of the program, especially if teachers are bound by exam board rules not to let the advanced features 'create' the piece of work.

If schools are teaching courses for specific applications, eg a "how to use photoshop course" then of course it's irreplaceable. (except you then find the teachers say "we want elements" cos its easier to use.....)

I agree web design is anything but 'niche', it is a large field. CMS usage, theme creation, databases, and a plethora of different languages and standards - The real standards like HTML,XML etc
    that's the thing isn't it ? when does teaching theory and good practice then cross over into something vendor specific. Take the example of web design, yes all those things you've mentioned should be taught....but practically every web designer and web editor job i've seen advertised includes dreamweaver as a prerequisite skill. A lot also include photoshop as pre-req, so you get to the stage where apps used in industry need to be taught in addition to the theory and technical standards.

Would a network+ course be anywhere near as successful as the CCNA academy course ? No way. The big attraction of the CCNA is relating the theory to industry standard vendor specific kit, namly Cisco......i know all you HP fanboys are going to whine at me for saying Cisco is industry standard, but in the routing world it's Cisco and Juniper. In the enteprise it's Cisco all the way. Sure the theory is covered, but it's getting you're hands dirty with the routers, switches and firewalls that is such a significant part of the course.

I agree with you in a way that there's plenty of scope at A-level and degree to teach the vendor apps to an appropriate level, plus there's the added advantage that in most cases the budget is there aswell.

There's a plethora of apps for basic image manipulation, and sometimes you just need the most cost effective and usable tool to, for instance crop or resize a photo for use in a powerpoint presentation.....but i personally like to use photoshop for even basic image mainpulation tasks, Paint shop pro is pretty good for simple tasks aswell. Photoshop is one of those apps that follows you throughout you're education experience when you cover any subect IT or media related, i think it's good to expose Y11's to it to give them a headstart.

Thank Post
    I think that rather than the 'you must have photoshop' discussion that this has turned in to, it may be worth revisiting the OP.

bishopsgarthstockton is simply refreshing the ICT in the Art department. IMHO you should wait until being asked for these apps before buying and installing them because they simply won't be used.

I have GIMP installed across school and I personally like it. We cannot afford Creative Suite or Photoshop but the 'Creative Design' department has decided that Fireworks and GIMP don't quite satisfy the needs of their course so they are now purchasing Photoshop Elements.

Thank Post
    Just having a play with the latest version of GIMP 2.4.5 and i've noticed that it now obeys system policy so you can hide the C: drive from prying eyes. You can still browse the network though i noticed that i can look in netlogon and the 'hidden' files are displayed but it's an improvement.

Thank Post

GIMP for ever

If the Art dept didn't ask for photoshop specifically, it's unlikely that they really want/need it. In the meantime, until they do you could install GIMP across the network for free and see if the kids start using it (they will). GIMP has many, many more tools than students are ever likely to use and they can always write their own tools (brushes, patterns, scripts, etc) as they wish. And if nobody uses it at all, you have lost nothing except the setup time. OTOH, buying photoshop and having nobody use it would be a very expensive futile exercise.

Students are adaptable. Employers want people who can think and work things out for themselves. If students are able to use GIMP/Photoshop, they can work out how to use Photoshop/GIMP. They can use all the basic tools and they can get into more elaborate things if they need to.

OTOH, if you want them to use something that is a little above basic level but is nicely usable, there are a few great ones about - Splashup, Aviary, Photoshop Express spring to mind. No-cost solution anyone? Just get registered and away you go. Get teh Art Department into the Web 2.0 21st Century.

Thank Post
    Is Gimp still not friendly for network wide use?

Thank Post
    lol well be warned if you use GIMP< we had a short cut on the desktop to this program and the short cut to the program was called GIMP and the amount of complaints we have was unbelievable so we had to change the name of the short cut

Thank Post
    Like it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What about photoshop elements?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Although PS and GIMP are fairly equally hostile to new users (GIMP with "strange" file dialogs and multiple windows - yes I know both can be sort of cured using plugins and modified versions) and PS (just &^%^& awkward to do simple stuff) I think users will always want go with the one that looks most "Windows" like - e.g. PS.

I'd personally load GIMP and Paint.net and explain how you can save money but YMMV

regards

Simon
    yes i agree with u dude.. but i prefer choose Photoshop... i friendly with it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123