+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Young Students shouldn't use computers in Technical; A psychologist has criticised the use of computers in primary and nursery schools, saying premature exposure to technology can cause ...
    Thank Post

Young Students shouldn't use computers

A psychologist has criticised the use of computers in primary and nursery schools, saying premature exposure to technology can cause long-term damage to children's learning ability.

ICT is increasingly used in schools at younger ages, but computer use among early learners can impair concentration, according Dr Aric Sigman - the same psychologist who previously wrote about the affects of social networking, sparking the Daily Mail's “Facebook causes cancer” headline.
    Young students shouldn't use PCs, scientist claims | Education | News | PC Pro

Will be interested in any comments from parents and teachers on their use of (for example) CBeebies with their children.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    I give up.

Just as this came up I was looking at 'Taking Showers 'Can Make You Ill'

Back to my Stasis Chamber.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Daily Mail bit sums it up - giving it all the credibility of a lesser-spotted flying sabre-toothed pig-fish. I'd believe what I read in the Beano over that source.

Used properly it is an invaluable tool and early exposure gains confidence in using such a tool. They'll be using them at home anyway, most likely before exposure at school and can't possibly do any more harm than good.

JPS
    Thank Post
    ... most likely before exposure at school and can't possibly do any more harm than good.
    I think you should be careful using the words exposure and school in the same sentence. lol.

Thank Post
    I woke up this morning and found I've got a cut on my finger... Do you think this was because I was exposed to computers at a young age??

Thank Post
    Each to their own. Everybody will have different opinions for example there are Year 11 kids in my school who cannot write because of over exposure to ICT yet we have Year 7's who are mini geniuses.

I think ICT can be good and bad depending on how it's used in schools. Most of our ICT lessons are spent playing games unfortunately.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gl3nnym View Post
    Each to their own. Everybody will have different opinions for example there are Year 11 kids in my school who cannot write because of over exposure to ICT yet we have Year 7's who are mini geniuses.

I think ICT can be good and bad depending on how it's used in schools. Most of our ICT lessons are spent playing games unfortunately.
    What exactly do you mean by 'cannot write'?

Is bad at writing, as in cannot put thought down on papaer or can't physically write?

Thank Post
    @creese - I mean they cannot physically put pen to paper because they have never really been taught correctly. It's quite worrying really.

Thank Post
    @creese - I mean they cannot physically put pen to paper because they have never really been taught correctly. It's quite worrying really.
    I fail to see why this is being blamed on IT, they have been in school for how long? and no one has enabled them to write on paper. I have to blame the the teachers not Bill Gates etc.

Thank Post
    I know my handwriting is poor due to 2 things, lack of practice and lack of concentration. If I need to write a note, it's normally down as a sribble. If I have to pass on an important message or anything that may be kept for future reference then I concentrate more and make sure other people can read it. This is down to the fact that I normally use a computer for communication and not pen and paper.

A computer has it's place, but it needs to be seen as a tool. I used a caclulator in school but I can still do sums in my head & on paper. People need to understand it's not computers that are the problem, it's what you use them for, and an overreliance on anything is a bad thing. You dont get children to use a computer INSTEAD of learning basic skills, you teach them ASWELL as basic skills.

It's no different to the TV is bad for you which comes around every couple of years

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,855 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My handwriting is appalling, partly because of how I was taught (my primary school very much focussed effort on the girls when it came to handwriting - evidenced by every boy from that school having useless handwriting), partly because I don't care about my handwriting, and partly because I had a good long time out of school as a kid.

To blame ICT would be a silly idea, as it has actually been my enabler rather than something which detracted from my learning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I know my handwriting is poor due to 2 things, lack of practice and lack of concentration. If I need to write a note, it's normally down as a sribble. If I have to pass on an important message or anything that may be kept for future reference then I concentrate more and make sure other people can read it. This is down to the fact that I normally use a computer for communication and not pen and paper.

A computer has it's place, but it needs to be seen as a tool. I used a caclulator in school but I can still do sums in my head & on paper. People need to understand it's not computers that are the problem, it's what you use them for, and an overreliance on anything is a bad thing.
    When i was at school computers were just about science fiction. A calculator? I couldn't afford one of those until I was about to leave school. The closest thing to a computer was an adding machine, I never got the hang of that. My handwriting is attrocious but I was a really good signwriter and my decorating skills were great. We are all different with different abilities. I got into IT through CAD, I was pretty good at that but spreadsheets!! beyond the lists and a bit of calculations, they are beyond me. I use a computer as a tool, some of it's functions I can use some I can't.
    Last edited by creese; 16th June 2010 at 09:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    I fail to see why this is being blamed on IT, they have been in school for how long? and no one has enabled them to write on paper. I have to blame the the teachers not Bill Gates etc.
    I was not blaming computers there, trust me I am team IT on this one!

Thank Post
    I was not blaming computers there, trust me I am team IT on this one!
    Sorry, I thought when you said 'for example there are Year 11 kids in my school who cannot write because of over exposure to ICT' you were blaming IT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Sorry, I thought when you said 'for example there are Year 11 kids in my school who cannot write because of over exposure to ICT' you were blaming IT.
    No no no sorry I should have been more clear. As a resolution to their writing problems I have known teachers trying to combat this by teaching them to spell using computers and typing software, not by giving them a pen... or just ignoring the problem exists and when they take their exams they have a trained invigilator helping them to write it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast