+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Web Premium CS4 - extract msi in Technical; When deploying the msi package for Web Premium CS4 all of the features are installed by default. I would like ...
    Thank Post

Web Premium CS4 - extract msi

When deploying the msi package for Web Premium CS4 all of the features are installed by default. I would like to extract from the package (let's say Contribute CS4) and installed on its own, on a separate msi package, is that possible?
    Have try to run setup.exe /? /a /n but no joy.
    I need to have a package for Contribute CS4 only, because the web premium CS4 is too big and the pc that needs Contribute does not have much HDD space.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    You mention the "PC" - I guess this is a single PC? If it is, why can't you install it locally from the disk? I'd only make MSIs/packages if there are multiple (say 5 or more) workstations that need the software.

3. Thanks to dgsmith from:

maestromasada (27th May 2010)

Thank Post
    you got it right in the sense that I meant PC... to start with. I developed the website for the school in 'chunks' divided by departments, and each head of department or association with the school have got Contribute 3 on their machines. Now, I would like to upgrade to CS4, the DW and FL are for the IT rooms, but the Contribt is for admin PCs only. I will hide shortcuts accordingly, but I also want to streamline the installation if possible, having the Contirbute msi on its own would be great.
    Thanks!

Thank Post
    Ok well, it's perfectly possible to make setup only install specific elements of the creative suite but I am not sure if you can "chop out" the components that aren't necessary, but you can customise the install to suit. For instance, we run Design Premium CS4 and I have several "packages" for these; the main one at the top which installs the whole lot, then sub-packages which have custom command line switches to install each of the individual components, but the whole software is only in 1 place on the server, not a separate one for each part.

I can't remember offhand, but I know there is a way you can load the main setup wizard where when you check/uncheck the desired components (DW, FL, PS etc) and it creates an xml file (I think) of which bits to install, and you can reference this as switches in the setup command. I can't remember the procedure off hand although it's entirely possible to do. Someone else may wish to clarify/expand upon this as it's a while since I did it and my memory is a little sketchy on the specific details!

As for MSIs, well, given the whole software is made up of many MSIs I wouldn't recommend trying to repackage them or even extracting the ones you want. Personally, i'd just stick the whole lot on to a share and do what I described above, which means you can install just contribute via group policy for example using the official method Adobe support whilst leaving open the option to install the rest if you desire at a later date. Not that I am saying you can't just "cut out" the contribute part, but that I personally didn't go down that route and I didn't see anywhere which suggested this as a viable route to take!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread