+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Promissor MSI Query in Technical; Seems like a new upgrade is out for ESM (8.97.16.10) / Administrator (8.97.208.13). I have extracted the MSI from within ...

Thank Post

Lightbulb Promissor MSI Query

Seems like a new upgrade is out for ESM (8.97.16.10) / Administrator (8.97.208.13).

I have extracted the MSI from within the TEMP folder while running the Administrator setup normally.

When running the extracted MSI on it's own, I get the following error:-

"This installation may require additional dependencies. Without its dependencies, Administrator may not work correctly. Would you like to find the original ADMSetup.exe?"

I can recall editing something in Orca to disable this check a year ago, but I can't remember where it was!

Perhaps this fix should also be added to the wiki as well?

Any help please? Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to run it with a batch file. To install set the batch file as a startup script. The file specifies the ESM server.

this is ours

Code:
    msiexec.exe /qb /i "\\server\MSI Software\Promissor\administrator.msi" DATAPATH=\\server\share_name
    Last edited by FN-GM; 26th May 2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thank Post
    We normally deploy the software via Group Policy Software Deployment. Is there an alternative option to using scripts?

I recall editing an entry in Orca to disable the "ADMSetup.exe" check...

I think someone on here posted the solution, but I have not found it yet! :-(

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    not sure they told me to deploy it this way. It works fine here.

Thank Post
    Just as a forewarning - I got a message from our Exams Manager yesterday. We are running some french exams using this software tomorrow and they have advised us not to install the latest version of the software until after June 1st. This message was passed to us via a telephone conversation from the exam board. I'm not sure what the consequences are if the update has been ran. Supposedly the update is optional and you are to choose not to install if prompted.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts
    If you deply the msi it will install fine if you run it manually you will get the warning that you have posted.

You can create a transform with ORCA to set the path.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Just as a forewarning - I got a message from our Exams Manager yesterday. We are running some french exams using this software tomorrow and they have advised us not to install the latest version of the software until after June 1st. This message was passed to us via a telephone conversation from the exam board. I'm not sure what the consequences are if the update has been ran. Supposedly the update is optional and you are to choose not to install if prompted.
    The software forced us to upgrade. Luckly (in a way) the internet went down mid day friday so i couldn't upload results from the morning. So i uploaded them monday and it forced me to upgrade. I wasn't caught out needing to upgrade on an exam day.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the update folks.

Well spotted Plexer, Promissor does correctly deploy via Group Policy (even though it throws up the error message during a manual installation).

I looked into Orca further and discovered how to remove the ADMSetup.exe check during a manual installation.

You need to remove the following entries from the "Property" table:-

IsPrerequisiteSetupBrowse (Value: Open [ProductName]'s original [SETUPEXENAME])
    IsPrerequisiteSetupInvalid (Value: This executable file does not appear to be the original executable file for [ProductName].....etc)
    IsPrerequisiteSetupSearch (Value: This installation may require additional dependencies. Without its dependencies, [ProductName].....etc)
    SETUPEXENAME (Value: ADMSetup.exe)
    IsPrerequisiteFeatures (Value: Main)

I have now applied the correct DATAPATH, exam user account/group permissions and removed the above ADMSetup.exe check entries.

Finally, I used the "msitran" program to apply/bind the MST settings permanently to the MSI file, so everything is now built into one installation file. I will keep the MST file for future versions. :-)

The correct apply command example within CMD (in case anyone needs it) for msitran is:
    msitran -a "Administrator.mst" "Administrator.msi"

Obviously you will need to be located within the correct folder path inside CMD and change the file names if you have called them something else!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts
    You could just use Orca to make the changes directly to the msi you don't have to create a transform.

Ben

Thank Post
    Plexer,

I've tried that and sometimes Orca has corrupted my MSI files (file size is much smaller), so I usually play it safe and apply the MST settings to the MSI manually.

Thank Post
    I know this is an old post but I hope someone can help.

I have to install the Administrator.msi software to 200+ computers. It was mentioned Administrator.msi can be edited to set the DATAPATH. Would someone be able to tell me which table/property needs to be changed. I tried editing directory/DATAPATH and this corrupts the MSI. I've also tried creating a transform file but I have had no luck with this either.

Many thanks

Andy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread