+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Examquest.. in Technical; How would i go about running two different versions of the same examquest file? It seems thanks to PE being ...
    Thank Post

Examquest..

How would i go about running two different versions of the same examquest file?

It seems thanks to PE being very indecisive, they want issue 11 and issue 13 versions of examquest installed at the same time, but when i do that it overwrites the exampro32.ini with the locations of the last version you install, i've tried pointing the shortcuts to a different name but then i just get "invalid license"

Without scripting something to rename and switch between two different exampro32.inis im at a loss as to how i would accomplish this, i may just tell them it can't be done and they'll have to choose which one they want unless someone here can give me an answer?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    I thought Issue 13 had all the stuff Issue 11 did and 2 years more new stuff as its issue increments by 1 each year as it gains another 12 months of past papers and questions?

Thank Post
    Probably, but one teacher here is an absolute pain in the arse and wants the old version, i've resorted to giving her half the PCs in a room the old version and half the new version, bloody dyke lesbian teacher with her head up her ass >_<

Thank Post
    Is this the software with the "Network install" that involves copying the files to the network and THEN visiting each PC to do a manual install ?
    If i remember it even asks you to put the admin password in plain text in the install files on the server!!
    Or am I thinking ExamPro?

Thank Post
    Nope that's the one, it wants the password in plain text, supposably i guess this is meant to allow it to install under a student account or something but i tried testing that and it didnt work so i quickly deleted it, it's a bizzarely coded program - rang them up, they say theres no way of running two versions, hey ho teacher will have to do with one or the other!

Thank Post
    Forgive the necro - but I have an answer!

We require both Examquest Chemistry and Biology modules to be running and registered on the same workstation. I won't go into how I deployed this as we use PDQ and it involves Xcopies and various commands.

The trick is to edit the exampro32.ini file that lives in C:\Windows on the client machine. If you open the .ini on a machine with Examquest installed and registered, you'll find it looks something like this:

[RA_CHEM]
    SerialNumber=YOUR SERIAL NUMBER GOES HERE
    Organisation=High School
    IssueNumber=13
    Licence=YOUR LICENSE GOES HERE
    TextFilename=C:\Program Files\ExamQuest\data\RA_CHEM.ext
    LibFilename=C:\Program Files\ExamQuest\data\RA_CHEM.exl
    FlagResource=0
    UseResource=0
    You want to grab the other license and paste it underneath so your .ini looks like this.

[RA_CHEM]
    Organisation=High School
    IssueNumber=13
    TextFilename=C:\Program Files\ExamQuest\data\RA_CHEM.ext
    LibFilename=C:\Program Files\ExamQuest\data\RA_CHEM.exl
    FlagResource=0
    UseResource=0

[RA_BIO]
    Organisation=High School
    IssueNumber=13
    TextFilename=C:\Program Files\ExamQuest\data\RA_BIO.EXT
    LibFilename=C:\Program Files\ExamQuest\data\RA_BIO.EXL
    FlagResource=0
    UseResource=0
    This is where it can get a bit technical. You'll notice that the second paragraph mentions looking in the same directory as the previous. What I had to do was install one copy of Examquest (in this case Chemistry) and on a remote machine install the biology package. Then I xcopied the two .ext and .exl files from the Examquest\Data folder and pasted them into my local install. After that I had to create shortcuts. You should format your shortcut targets like this:

Chemistry - "C:\Program Files\ExamQuest\ExamQuest.exe" RA_CHEM
    Biology - "C:\Program Files\ExamQuest\ExamQuest.exe" RA_BIO

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Kalny; 8th April 2014 at 09:21 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information