+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, MS Exchange Global Address Lists in Technical; Righty, before we broke up for xmas, I managed to get our MS Exchange 2003 organisation up and working, but... ...
    Thank Post

MS Exchange Global Address Lists

Righty, before we broke up for xmas, I managed to get our MS Exchange 2003 organisation up and working, but... I have a problem with the Global Address List, normally everyone can see the Global Address List, This means Students can see Staff Addresses... Not very good!

Is there a quick way of of restricting access to this for pupils I would be happy if they could only see their own year when they click on the address book...

I've looked at the permission's on the GAL and I've added a DENY to Students but that didn't seem to work... I read some where on the internet that this has to be done in ADSI Edit.... Surely there is a easier way of accomplishing this ?

Thank Post

Re: MS Exchange Global Address Lists

When I was at my school we had that problem. The only solution we could find (and IIRC we had a post on edugeek somewhere too) was to upgrade to Exchange Enterprise. When i say upgrade i mean rebuild the server from scratch. Migrate standard exchange onto another box...build enterprise on the server, and then migrate back......v long winded.

This is where I go fuzzy on the details as i have a VERY poor memory (which is a bugger because i'm a guitarist )

Enterprise allows more than one mailbox store you can add users to. So you put the staff in one, and the students in the other.

Or something like that. You'd need to research it further. I wasn't the one that did the upgrade or found the solution so sorry I'm not much more help but it's all second / third hand info to me.

Thank Post

Thanks for the reply,

We are in fact running MS Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition... Just not sure on this best way to implement Multiple Global Address Lists...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Is it such a big deal the students being able to see the staff's email addresses?

We activly encourage students to email the staff work, questions etc and I assume you will have a naming scheme and it won't take more than 2 minutes for the kids to work that out and work out the staff email addresses.

Just seems IMHO that you are trying to make a huge amount of extra work for yourself when in reality I cannot see it being an issue.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Is it such a big deal the students being able to see the staff's email addresses?

We activly encourage students to email the staff work, questions etc and I assume you will have a naming scheme and it won't take more than 2 minutes for the kids to work that out and work out the staff email addresses.

Just seems IMHO that you are trying to make a huge amount of extra work for yourself when in reality I cannot see it being an issue.
    I suppose your quite correct in what you say about the kids working out the staff emaill addresses, but the address book shows there full names.. and can see some of the Staff having a issue with that.

I still think a seperate address book for staff and students would be the best way and would cut down on the amout of moans from staff!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by towen
    I suppose your quite correct in what you say about the kids working out the staff emaill addresses, but the address book shows there full names.. and can see some of the Staff having a issue with that.

I still think a seperate address book for staff and students would be the best way and would cut down on the amout of moans from staff!
    Simply change the display names of the staff to Mr A Body, etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_

Simply change the display names of the staff to Mr A Body, etc.
    Thats how in schools that I have worked for who have said they don't want the pupils seing the first names (primary schools). Surely its all about the teaching of respecting of elders to the students?

Thank Post

It's not just the global address list you need to restrict - it's the address lists under "all address lists" and "offline address lists" as well.

Setting up custom address lists is quite easy, the hard part is working out what permissions you need so that people pick up the correct one automatically. google around "custom address lists" and "shared hosting with Exchange". All the instructions are aimed at organisations who host exchange for serveral companies, but the ideas apply just as well in schoole - each class/year/whatever is a seperate "company".

you do know the global address lists only show what's in active directory? and it's almost impossible to block anyone who can log on to active directory from seeing other people's names? So if the students can't find the info from the global address list they can easily find it from searching "My network neighbourhood" or other places.

Thank Post

We have the names displayed here, also its firstname lastname i.e Joe Bloggs not Mr Bloggs. Never really been an issue here (apart from the odd teacher not understanding how a student can email them :S - "its a global email system, they can email china if they want")

fooby

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread