+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 95
Educational Software Thread, Microsoft live@edu Vs Google Apps for Education. in Technical; I love live@edu, however, I want to spread the word about an issue. This is probably specific to the US, ...
  1. #46

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    28
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    I love live@edu, however, I want to spread the word about an issue. This is probably specific to the US, but Microsoft requires that the parent input a credit card number and to be debited $0.50 as a way to approve their child's participation. This is because we have a law here called COPPA which restricts what children under 13 can do online. Still, I think a credit card is a pretty terrible way to address that restriction, especially for a school-sponsored service.

  2. #47

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,532
    Thank Post
    1,341
    Thanked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by altonPM View Post
    I love live@edu, however, I want to spread the word about an issue. This is probably specific to the US, but Microsoft requires that the parent input a credit card number and to be debited $0.50 as a way to approve their child's participation. This is because we have a law here called COPPA which restricts what children under 13 can do online. Still, I think a credit card is a pretty terrible way to address that restriction, especially for a school-sponsored service.
    Thankfully that doesnt happen here (australia) or afaik the UK..

    But I agree, there must be a better way to implement it than entering a CC number (my google searches imply it isnt actually charged, its just verified as a valid credit card number?)

  3. #48

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    28
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    my google searches imply it isnt actually charged, its just verified as a valid credit card number?
    My Microsoft account manager thought that might be the case, but I did try it with my own child and the $0.50 was charged to my card. They say a portion is donated to charity. It's a very small amount of money, but I think the money is beside the point.

  4. #49
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by altonPM View Post
    My Microsoft account manager thought that might be the case, but I did try it with my own child and the $0.50 was charged to my card. They say a portion is donated to charity. It's a very small amount of money, but I think the money is beside the point.
    50C is a very small amount of money, but take a small amount from a large number of people, and you end up with a lot of money - especially if only some of it is donated to charity.

  5. #50
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,002
    Thank Post
    983
    Thanked 477 Times in 398 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    98
    alton, just out of interest what kind of school is it?

    Still no word on a sharepoint 2010 single sign on solution yet for live@edu.

  6. #51
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    How do you find the mail filters in GMail and Live@edu? Do they block everything which you would want them to or does some of it get through?

  7. #52

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,532
    Thank Post
    1,341
    Thanked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    How do you find the mail filters in GMail and Live@edu? Do they block everything which you would want them to or does some of it get through?
    We use the "closed campus" setting, which means that only *@*ourdomain.tld can send to and be sent from live@edu

    If you mean the spam settings and such, I think its the same as the hotmail filters (which hasnt let a spam into my mailbox (of 11 years) for a good long while now )

  8. #53

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,689
    Thank Post
    755
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Rep Power
    438
    I get viagra spam mails through live@edu.

    Also just received this today from MS about the updates coming including Office 365:

    http://www.microsoft.com/liveatedu/l...S&country=US#1

    But this bit concerned me slightly:

    Availability and pricing for Office 365 will be announced at a future date.

    Ben

  9. #54
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    We use the "closed campus" setting, which means that only *@*ourdomain.tld can send to and be sent from live@edu
    Presumably that is per-user, not per-domain?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    If you mean the spam settings and such, I think its the same as the hotmail filters (which hasnt let a spam into my mailbox (of 11 years) for a good long while now )
    Can we be uber-precise on this and clarify whether the spam hasn't got through at all or merely has been identified as spam and put in the junk folder. I don't think that would be sufficient protection really.

  10. #55


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    This is the comparative service from google:
    Welcome to Postini powered services

    It is very flexible and can be used for content and spam filtering.
    The spam filtering can be done per domain and per user.

  11. #56
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It is very flexible and can be used for content and spam filtering.
    Flexible is good - does it actually work, or does stuff still get through?

  12. #57

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,532
    Thank Post
    1,341
    Thanked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Presumably that is per-user, not per-domain?



    Can we be uber-precise on this and clarify whether the spam hasn't got through at all or merely has been identified as spam and put in the junk folder. I don't think that would be sufficient protection really.
    the closed campus thing is a domain wide setting, but you can change individual mailboxes on or off (although only via powershell I think)

    as for spam, sorry, my hotmail does get about 10 a month, but into the junk mail folder..

  13. #58
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,497
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    the closed campus thing is a domain wide setting, but you can change individual mailboxes on or off (although only via powershell I think)
    That's a faff.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    as for spam, sorry, my hotmail does get about 10 a month, but into the junk mail folder..
    That's unacceptable in a school-provided service, IMHO. I've not had that many in 7 years with our current provider.

  14. #59

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,532
    Thank Post
    1,341
    Thanked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    That's a faff.



    That's unacceptable in a school-provided service, IMHO. I've not had that many in 7 years with our current provider.
    Thanks my hotmail account, not live@edu.. Im not sure if its the same filtering system (but I just assume it is)

    Agreed, a lot of non-basic changes of live@edu require powershell. Its pretty straightforward right enough.. but would be so much more manageble if there was a GUI (but then again, its given me a nice intro to PS which I wouldnt have had anyway)

  15. #60

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,532
    Thank Post
    1,341
    Thanked 470 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    ...
    Also just received this today from MS about the updates coming including Office 365:

    http://www.microsoft.com/liveatedu/l...S&country=US#1

    But this bit concerned me slightly:

    Availability and pricing for Office 365 will be announced at a future date.

    Ben
    Slashdot News Story | Microsoft Announces Web-based Office365

    rrelated pages and comments there..



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [ASP.net] Microsoft launch web platform with easy to install 'Apps'
    By somabc in forum Web Development
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th November 2009, 01:15 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10th October 2008, 07:32 AM
  3. Education microsoft training
    By Andi in forum Courses and Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 4th April 2008, 10:51 AM
  4. Education Briefings From Microsoft
    By russdev in forum Windows
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st November 2007, 01:55 PM
  5. Microsoft Volume Activation 2.0 for education
    By thom in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 8th February 2007, 10:40 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •