+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Microsoft live@edu Vs Google Apps for Education. in Technical; Originally Posted by jamesb Code: $csvfile = Import-CSV C:\students.txt foreach ($badstudent in $csvfile) { add-MailboxPermission -Identity $badstudent -User admin -AccessRights ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Code:
    $csvfile = Import-CSV C:\students.txt
    foreach ($badstudent in $csvfile) {
         add-MailboxPermission -Identity $badstudent -User admin -AccessRights fullaccess
    }
    thanks for that

Thank Post
    I've looked at this in the past but wasn't convinced by the idea. Now however looking at massive cost saving across the college this is now coming back onto the agenda.

Those schools that have taken up either, how much bandwidth does this take up? Being a rural school we dont have access to huge amounts of bandwidth.

Have you moved to this completely and done away with desktop version of Office/OO?

What about backups of stuff? In theory you would need very little onsite storage if all is being hosted externally?

This brings up so many questions...

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    I've looked at this in the past but wasn't convinced by the idea. Now however looking at massive cost saving across the college this is now coming back onto the agenda.

Those schools that have taken up either, how much bandwidth does this take up? Being a rural school we dont have access to huge amounts of bandwidth.

Have you moved to this completely and done away with desktop version of Office/OO?

What about backups of stuff? In theory you would need very little onsite storage if all is being hosted externally?

This brings up so many questions...
    We have not moved yet but as you say the benefits are starting to look massive.

Bandwidth isn't an issue for us with email, its tiny in the grand scheme of things. You can test it using hotmail, its the same system.

We don't want to move to apps, just interested in the email for now.

I'm guessing that Microsoft have backup data centers in place, I've never heard of them loosing any actual data. Their data-centers are not just single servers, they are clusters of servers with automatic failovers. I'd be much more confident of them keeping data than us hosting it, thats for sure.

Offsite email hosting is the way forward, its just a question of when.

Thank Post
    Don't know about Sharepoint & SSO.

Also when people moved over from exchange, what did they do? I imagine I would use exmerge to archive the mailboxes to .pst files then reattach manually for people who wanted to keep their old emails in the full outlook client?
    AIUI you don't get Import-Mailbox which is how I get multiple PSTs into Exchange 2007+. You can configure Live@edu to do POP or IMAP aggregation (& IMAP in bulk) but that wouldn't get them Calenders, Contacts etc. There is a commercial bulk migration util called MailPortal Migrator (free for single mailbox use) and might be some others, I don't know.

Otherwise I suppose yup, if your users are up to it, you could get their Outlook connected to Live@Edu, also open their PST from the old system and have them drag and drop things they want to keep to their Live@Edu mailbox.

I'm guessing that Microsoft have backup data centers in place,
    The Live@edu email is apparently in Dublin and fails over to the Netherlands.

I'd be much more confident of them keeping data than us hosting it, thats for sure.
    Ditto.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 11th October 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Also when people moved over from exchange, what did they do? I imagine I would use exmerge to archive the mailboxes to .pst files then reattach manually for people who wanted to keep their old emails in the full outlook client?
    With Google you just run the exchange migration tool, run it overnight and it migrates email, calendars, contacts...
    https://tools.google.com/dlpage/exchangemigration
    There must be an easier way for @edu users than above, surely?

Thank Post
    There must be an easier way for @edu users than above, surely?
    I haven't found it and doubt vendors would be selling products for bulk migration if a free way (besides writing lots of EWS code) existed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I'd be much more confident of them keeping data than us hosting it, thats for sure.
    What about recovering it when someone accidentally deletes it or whatever? That is where local hosting has its advantages.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    What about recovering it when someone accidentally deletes it or whatever? That is where local hosting has its advantages.
    I've never actually had that in all the time I've been working surprisingly. Most of the time its just in their deleted items.

Thank Post
    Lot of experience but I've only had the "can you get my mail back from months ago" scenario once. In principle L@E "purges" deleted items after 30 days and users have another 14 to recover deleted-deleted (purged) items. What's not clear to me is whether that 30 days is based on: a) Date message received, b) Date message deleted and ends up in deleted items folder.

But I think 90-days or something thereabouts would be better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Had an email this morning from the live@edu service to say they are killing off live spaces blogging on March 16 2011 and recommend that everyone uses wordpress.com however there is no integration whatsoever with live@edu and wordpress.com but blogging on MS will come back when they integrate sharepoint.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Lot of experience but I've only had the "can you get my mail back from months ago" scenario once.
    Ditto. The more common request is "can you get back this file/email which I deleted 10 minutes ago".

Thank Post
    The more i read up about this the more interested and excited i get... i need to get out more! For the majority of our school the functions that Google Apps provides will be more than enough and the fact that all you need is a web browser brings a lot of our "stored" pc's back into use.

Thank Post
    What are Google and MS like for support on these? How helpful are they, how quickly do you get a response, etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    MS have a telephone and online help portal (free) (call answered within seconds and a call/email back within the hour if logged online)

Ive found the telephone not to be that great, due to my scottish accent and the call center for here being non-austraila based (read india)

HOWEVER

These are just the first level guys, and they are actually great at escalating it to the proper live@edu techs based either in Aus for me, or in USA.

Ive worked closely with the head live@edu guy for australia, via many long phone calls and LiveMeeting sessions (remote screen sharing). Really decent and patient bloke, and a great help.

Also, Ive had the help from 2 awesome folks from the USA, one from the East coast, who ended up getting her colleague on the West coast to assist as it was nearwe our timezone. When i eventually finished up with the call, and started chit-chatting, it turned out he was actually finished for the day and back at home, it was 10pm his time, but he had agreed to the meeting anyway to help us out..

10/10 as far as I am concerened for support

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Local UK number for Google apps issues. Only called them once and they fixed it straight away.

However, the new infrastructure applications which integrate IGoogle, Picasa, Additional services - Google Apps Help
    are not supported by the Service Level Agreement. Google are looking at providing support for these additional options:
    Support options for new services - Google Apps Help

edit: This is the core suite, that is covered by SLA http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en..._features.html
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 15th October 2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: addition

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast