+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Monstervision in Technical; I've been asked to think about getting this company in to design and host our website/cms. http://www.monstervision.co.uk I personally don't ...
    Thank Post

Monstervision

I've been asked to think about getting this company in to design and host our website/cms. http://www.monstervision.co.uk

I personally don't think it's worth the £3000 (plus £80 a month) they've quoted as we have a perfectly good web server at the mo that could easily host a cms. And with vle's around the corner I'm worried that we'll have to do it all again in 12 months... Plus they've got a stupid name

Has anyone used this company? All views welcome!

Thanks

Phil

Thank Post

Re: Monstervision

Im in the same view as you.

Just tell them that if they pay you the £3000 upfront and £80 per month you'll stick a few odd hours in "on a night"

Depending on what you want your website to do you could achive it for the cost of a domain name and a Joomla install with a commercial template which would cost you bout £30.00 at most.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Their pages aren't valid (X)HTML.

It's so cheap and easy to install and maintain a CMS in-house, the £80 per month alone doesn't make sense.

Thank Post

also done a quick google for one of their "school" sites, Treviglas Community College, and I can't find the site. The school exists according to the Cornwall council website, though. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah I found it - its http://treviglas.net/. Last result on first page of a Google search for them. SEO must costs extra or they don't know how to do it :P

Thank Post

I just want to stab all you guys that keep going on about hosting stuff in house. I'd love to be able to to it, but apparenty our nigh on 8k/annum internet connection cannot do this. Grrrrrr.

No offence intended, i just needed to vent.

Matt.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by saundersmatt
    I just want to stab all you guys that keep going on about hosting stuff in house. I'd love to be able to to it, but apparenty our nigh on 8k/annum internet connection cannot do this. Grrrrrr.

No offence intended, i just needed to vent.

Matt.
    Our £15k one cant either! (Well sorry, that should be our RBC wont allow it)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You can still get a domain name and hosting and do a CMS yourself that's a lot cheaper than these £3000 rip-off merchants.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Yeah I found it - its http://treviglas.net/. Last result on first page of a Google search for them. SEO must costs extra or they don't know how to do it :P
    actually, it doesn't look too bad. I think I expected more from the "virtual tour" though, and I haven't checked any of the other klinks (that's a typo, but I think I'll leave it in because i like the sound of it)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it's not a bad layout, but flash doesn't impress me at all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Looks pretty crap to me - wobbles all over the place. I thought my efforts were poor - but next to that i'm pretty proud of my efforts now. Will go to my school and prod them about coughing up something for this wonderful beast i've created them!!

Does the £80 per month include hosting I wonder? (still a ripp-off if it does)

look at those images on the Skills Academy page - large pictures constrained within thumbnail proportions - a very basic mistake for such a premium. If the company is letting the sch upload content - they still should be checking this stuff.

Some of the links are dead too. A bad example - I think they need to update their portfolio

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Looks pretty crap to me - wobbles all over the place. I thought my efforts were poor - but next to that i'm pretty proud of my efforts now. Will go to my school and prod them about coughing up something for this wonderful beast i've created them!! :D

Does the £80 per month include hosting I wonder? (still a ripp-off if it does)

look at those images on the Skills Academy page - large pictures constrained within thumbnail proportions - a very basic mistake for such a premium. If the company is letting the sch upload content - they still should be checking this stuff.

Some of the links are dead too. A bad example - I think they need to update their portfolio :(
    ...and playing the part of Scrooge this year

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

:P lol

Thank Post

Lol, I still find it amazing the amount that people charge to design a website. This is to excess, but even the standard prices concern me.

I guess at the end of the day, it's just the amount of man hours it takes to do it, especially from scratch. If you are a web design company though, you'll no doubt have a series of prebuilt templates you have "made earlier". Plus if they use an open source CMS (I think most should now unless they have built their own) that'll take even less time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information