+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Smartboard (SMART Notebook) drivers v10.6.106.1 in Technical; All.. Has anyone managed to roll out Smartboard (SMART Notebook) drivers v10.6.106.1?? I did the same as previous version of ...

Thank Post

Question Smartboard (SMART Notebook) drivers v10.6.106.1

All..

Has anyone managed to roll out Smartboard (SMART Notebook) drivers v10.6.106.1??

I did the same as previous version of 10:

I used their Install Manager
    Pointed it to the download Admin install version of the driver
    Disabled the auto updates etc.

Command line is
    msiexec /i "blah\SMART Product Drivers.msi" transforms="blah\1033.mst;blah\noupdates.mst" /qn /norestart

Do it that way, and it fails silently right at the end.

Run the MSI manually, and it fails right at the very end saying Error 1920 - Service SMART Board Service (SMART Board Service) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient (etc).

However, if I download the "standalone" installer "smartproductdriverssetup.exe", then it works a treat.

This is on XP SP3, by the way.

Cheers,
    Gerard

Thank Post
    I've just had exactly the same problem....anyine found a way to get it working properly?

Thank Post

A possible theory :)

I looked at this last thing on Friday for a couple of minutes before having to make a mad dash to collect the kids .

I've not had the chance to test this in any way, as all of our boards have been updated now, so this is purely theory..

There's a folder inside the created Admin install called VC90 SP1. The ini file shows Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, and there's an MSI which seems to run semi-automated if you just run it in Explorer.

I'm wondering if the driver won't install silently without this being installed FIRST? Perhaps because the MSI for the silent installer either can't launch this secondary MSI (or isn't configured to do so)?

All of SMART boards here are now being used by the classes, and then other projects are getting ready to fire off here for me so chances are I won't be able to even consider looking at this for a while.

Cheers,
    Gerard

4. Thanks to gerardsweeney from:

RobMongoose (2nd December 2010)

Thank Post
    it worked for me on 1 test pc in the office if i double clicked the msi file but i cant get it to deploy same as above service fails to start. On the 2 school pcs i tried it on i had do download the non admin exe install to get it to work. I THINk though havnt tested you need to deploy the other msi in the vc90 dir c++2008 libraries i believe but as said untested

Thank Post
    Running the admin MSI didn't work for me either - it was doing that way that I discovered the service not starting. If I ran it silently (msiexec /i filename.msi /qn /norestart), then it just failed silently (the failure is listed in the log file).

Like I said earlier (and as you discovered), using the non-admin installer works fine.

I'm thinking that the deployment job will need to look something like:

msiexec /i "smartproductdriveradmin\VC90 SP1\vc_red.msi" /qn /norestart
    msiexec /i "smartproductdriveradmin\SMART Product Drivers.msi" /qn /norestart

Total guess, of course..

Hopefully someone with a non-updated SMART board can verify this for us? I got told to politely go away when I'd asked to get access to any of the board PCs sometime today. Tch!

Cheers,
    Gerard

7. 2 Thanks to gerardsweeney:

LCPSWolf (3rd June 2010), tonysharps (5th July 2010)

Thank Post
    I have just manually run the VC90 SP1 first, followed by the SMART Product Drivers MSI, and it works fine.

Thanks for the solution!

9. 2 Thanks to jprice3:

oggster (27th April 2010), ranj (12th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Excellent!

Happy to help, and thanks for testing it out.

Perhaps SMART will correct this for the next release of the drivers? Fingers crossed.

11. Thanks to gerardsweeney from:

oggster (27th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im trying to download this just now, from SMART Notebook for Windows - SMART Technologies

But when clicking the Download link I get a Server Error

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Im trying to download this just now, from SMART Notebook for Windows - SMART Technologies
    I don't know about the server error (temporary glitch?), but I think this download might be for the non-silent version of the installers.

If you're looking to deploy the application/resources/driver, then I think this:
    SMART - Admin tools,

is the page you need.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerardsweeney View Post
    I don't know about the server error (temporary glitch?), but I think this download might be for the non-silent version of the installers.

If you're looking to deploy the application/resources/driver, then I think this:
    SMART - Admin tools,

is the page you need.
    Its just the standalone installer Im after cheers. I deploy whole images, so its just to use as the install on a new image.

Thank Post
    msiexec /i "smartproductdriveradmin\VC90 SP1\vc_red.msi" /qn /norestart
    msiexec /i "smartproductdriveradmin\SMART Product Drivers.msi" /qn /norestart
    I just did this from a batch file and it worked great for a silent install. Thanks!
    Last edited by LCPSWolf; 3rd June 2010 at 09:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Installing the vc_red.msi worked for me also. I got this error in the field but not on my test box, I guess there is a Windows update that I've not pushed. Have to take a look at that. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Thank Post
    Using this method is there anyway of disabling the autoupdates? Other than on every machine? My job for this week.

Oooh and do you have to uninstall the previous version of notebook or the drivers?
    Last edited by chrbb; 6th July 2010 at 09:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Using this method is there anyway of disabling the autoupdates? Other than on every machine? My job for this week.

Oooh and do you have to uninstall the previous version of notebook or the drivers?
    Provided you use the Install Manager application to create the TRANSFORMS file then you will be able to install without the Autoupdate features. The installation removes any previous versions prior to installing the new one. - It did in our case anyway but it was only a minor version change (10.0 to 10.6). My batch file looks like this:

@echo off

msiexec.exe /i "\\server\Software\smartboard\v10\10.6\Drivers\VC9 0 SP1\vc_red.msi" /passive

msiexec.exe /i "\\server\Software\smartboard\v10\10.6\Drivers\SMA RT Product Drivers.msi" TRANSFORMS="\\server\Software\smartboard\v10\10.6\ Drivers\Config.mst" /passive

msiexec.exe /i "\\server\Software\smartboard\v10\10.6\Notebook\Sm art Notebook.msi" TRANSFORMS="\\server\Software\smartboard\v10\10.6\ Notebook\Config.mst" /passive

19. Thanks to tonysharps from:

chrbb (6th July 2010)

Thank Post
    I spoke to Smart, they are aware of it, and have released a 'fix' that involves a lot of messing with the registry.

This one really wound me up after I deployed it to the whole school without testing, and thus managed to completely mess up the smart notebook installs on all PC's. OOPS!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast