+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Educational Software Thread, Registration via internet of newly installed software (on each machine) in Technical; Originally Posted by nephilim Is it just network installs that are having the issue? (sorry if I missed it, got ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Is it just network installs that are having the issue? (sorry if I missed it, got a 2 year old running around, on the phone, and writing a document up as well! lol)
    I've tried installing it on my computer after copying the modified file to the installation folder first. It worked fine. Is there any reason why it wouldn't work across a network if it works on one computer?
    BTW the computer I tried it on was XP. Also, the number of bytes in the modified file is 3 more than the original. Would this make a difference?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlapworth View Post
    if you modify it (or rather, replace this one with a modified one) some people are saying it isn't copied acroos by the installer...
    Could it be related to the file versioning rules in Windows Installer?

Installing Non-Versioned Files
    Installing non-versioned files with Windows Installer differs from legacy script-based installation tools. Most users expect the file with the most recent date and time to be installed. However, Windows Installer does not use this method to determine non-versioned file installation and instead uses a two-step procedure.

First, Windows Installer compares the file's unique hash value generated for its content with the MsiFileHash table in the .MSI. If the hash values match, then Windows Installer determines the files are the same and does not replace the file on the destination computer.

If the hash values differ, Windows Installer compares the date/time stamp of the file on the computer. If the file's modification date is newer than its creation date, Windows Installer determines the file contains user-modified content and does not replace the existing file. To override this behavior, use companion files.

By understanding how Windows Installer handles different file-replacement scenarios, you can create a package that installs in a predictable manner. For more information about file versioning rules, see the topic titled File Versioning Rules in the Windows Installer SDK. (Source)
    Are the people having problems, installing TaskMagic on a computer which has previously had it installed? Which program are you using to create the MSI?

3. Thanks to Arthur from:

mlapworth (16th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Are the people having problems, installing TaskMagic on a computer which has previously had it installed? Which program are you using to create the MSI?
    I don't think it's related to versioning, as it's not to do with replacing existing files. (Which answers you 2nd question :0) This is for initial installs...

The problem might be to do with the program that creates the msi package (digitalweb installwizard) - but what confuses me is that it was working fine for over a year.

It's as if the installer doesn't recognize the modified file as being the same one listed in the msi - even though it has the same name, same attributes etc. The only difference is the extra 3 bytes - maybe I should make the original file 3 bytes longer and see if that fixes it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,469 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In terms of your registration, could you not set it up to point to a central location? For example N:\Program Name\reg.ini and then have it pull the registration information from there?

That way you bypass copying the registration around to different machines etc, and an MSI set up would be far simpler as you can predetermine where it installs from.

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    I don't think I'd do that within the msi. But it might be an idea to offer people the option to place the registration file somewhere else. I could do this via the configuration file, maybe.
    Still don't know why it stopped working properly though...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts
    This is for initial installs...
    I thought it might be. Just checking. Is there any commonality between the users reporting issues with the network install? For example, are they all using the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or do they have RM CC3/CC4 networks?

The problem might be to do with the program that creates the MSI package (DigitalWeb InstallWizard) - but what confuses me is that it was working fine for over a year.
    As Pete suggested above, I would try to obtain the log files produced by Windows Installer. If the issue only occurs when they do the network install, you may need get them to enable Windows Installer logging as described in KB2545723.

Is there any chance of posting a link to your MSI either publicly or via PM? Do you have one for the trial version of TaskMagic or a version with none of the files (just the MSI itself)? Alternatively, have you tried opening the MSI in InstEd or Orca and running the validation tests?

9. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    I thought at first that the common thread was RMCC4 on win7, but I've had it reported on non-RM and non win7 setups, so there's no common thread that I can see.

Many thanks for your replies and suggestions Arthur. I'll look into them over the weekend / next week and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234