+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Report Assist in Technical; Because a lot of classes are set, the way I intially set up RA is to allocate all pupils from ...

Thank Post
    Because a lot of classes are set, the way I intially set up RA is to allocate all pupils from a year to one teacher. The other teachers use that to log in and they have access to all the pupils, regardless of their class. I dished out the memory sticks to the year heads and said make sure you explain this to the teachers when you give them out. I reinforced this with an email to all teachers. I've just got my 5th email from a teacher to say their name isn't there! All I can say is at least I know RA pretty well and can answer queries without having to look in manuals.

Thank Post
    If you're using ReportPlus then you could do something similar.

1) Give each of the teachers different usernames and passwords
    2) Input all the pupils for the school in one go, optionally allocate them to class/form teachers (have a teacher column in the csv file)
    3) Give the same files out to all teachers, them import them into their computer at home or whatever
    4) They write the reports for their children, if you have allocated the teachers then they can select themselves and the list gets cut up.
    5) At the end, they give you back the sticks with the reports saved to them
    6) You use the merge to load them all back as a single file
    7) Printout

The problem you may have in the future is that ReportAssist has 'issues' with Vista (you have to run it out of program files, or give write access to users in program files), even more issues with Windows 7 (dll incompatibility from what I can gather) and doesn't seem to like x64 systems at all <- all of which are becoming increasing common. They could run it on VirtualPC though (running XP).

Also don't forget that the NPC is law from next year, virtually all the statement banks will have to be updated in ReportAssist.
    Last edited by ComputingData; 8th May 2010 at 05:19 PM.

Thank Post
    I am still getting a error when trying to update on Windows 7 x 64.
    Copying install/update/uninstall to program folder.
    *** failed ***
    'C:\Program Files (x86)\ReportPlus\InstallPlus.exe'
    The Reportplus folder contains a file, downloaded today, called updateplus.exe so at least the file has been written to the folder this time.
    Running that file installs the update correctly but there is obviously a permissions problem somewhere that might case my teachers a headache when they try the update on a home computer. (I don't yet know if any of them are running Windows7 on their home computers)

Thank Post
    The problem you may have in the future is that ReportAssist has 'issues' with Vista, even more issues with Windows 7 and doesn't seem to like x64 systems at all <- all of which are becoming increasing common. They could run it on VirtualPC though (running XP).
    I'm sure ReportPlus does all it's supposed to do, the problem I had was getting it into a state where I could pass it over to the staff and they could get on with it. The learning curve was just too steep and I didn't have the time available. It could well be that we will use it next year unless SIMS becomes a viable option and I'll give myself plenty of time to get to grips.

Thank Post
    SneakyBeaky: That is the InstallPlus.exe program actually running, updating other items in the folder. It should be executred in admin mode as it has admin properties. If you try the fix that I mentioned before, I'll put a 'delete and retry' routine in the installer code - this may fix it for you.

6. Thanks to ComputingData from:

SneakyBeaky (8th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Laserblazer: No problem, just thought you would like to know that the steps were quite similar.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputingData View Post
    SneakyBeaky: That is the InstallPlus.exe program actually running, updating other items in the folder. It should be executred in admin mode as it has admin properties. If you try the fix that I mentioned before, I'll put a 'delete and retry' routine in the installer code - this may fix it for you.
    Ok ComputingData, I have now done that. Strange why it has the problem on my desktop running Windows 7 64 but not on my laptop running windows 7 x 32.

Thank Post
    Doesn't happen on my x64 Win7 at all. Ever. Seen it on XP once or twice though. Windows is a strange beast! lol.

Thank Post
    Just out of interest, I wanted to mention that when we are doing the install and setup of ReportPlus, the final bit to download school settings doesn't seem to be working as well as it suggests. One the "Installation" page of the Teachers help sheet, the final box suggests that the teacher will be prompted to update Reportplus to bring over settings that the Administrator has installed.

We haven't been seeing a prompt for this and a couple of teachers missed this step out so I had to talk them through what to do. Might be a minor bug or might just be us, but am interested to see which!

11. Thanks to kaphc from:

ComputingData (8th May 2010)

Thank Post
    No, it's not a bug - it's a misprint. That box should instruct them to click 'Download school settings'. Thanks fo letting me know - I'll report it to the office asap so they can recreate and upload that page.

Thank Post
    Thanks, that makes sense. Will watch out for the new page on the site if we have any more installs to do.

Thank Post
    The pdf doc on the website (teachers quickstart) has been updated with the misprint removed. I've also uploaded another doc that shows the control words you may like when creating custom front pages, etc...

I think Lizzy has also (at the same time as updating the teachers quickstart) updated the help file that can be downloaded into the program - I think the instruction manual update pdf will also be updated in the next few days as it is based upon that file.

Thank Post
    Is there a way to change the font Size of a particular line in a paragraph?

Thank Post
    Just one line? To avoid inconsistency it keeps the report paragraph text to the same font type and size (you can change to bold/italic/underline though). You can change the overall font and/or size for the report text if you like. If you let me know more details I can perhaps suggest something or implement something in an update to the program?

Thank Post
    yeap just one line is there a way to do this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast