+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Report Assist in Technical; Report writing on Report plus going great guns at our school at the momnet. Just wondering what other people are ...
    Thank Post
    Report writing on Report plus going great guns at our school at the momnet. Just wondering what other people are doing (or what ComputingData thinks?? ) about getting the reports ready for the head to review and comment on. Last year, with Report Assist, all the teachers saved their reports onto memory sticks and then sent them to the head.

In Report Plus, doing File ...Save As comes up with an interesting message about how this will change the default location. Have also looked at exporting the pupil file to a (non-U3) memory stick, but that seems to imply formatting the stick. We don't nevessarily want a backup fo the files, more saving a second copy to go to the head .... or is there a better way of doing this? We are not on a networked version on Report Plus, each computer/laptop has the software installed on the hard drive.

Thank Post
    In windows, if you use 'Save as' in a program, a program is supposed to change the default name and location for that file to where you 'pick', some teachers are un-aware of this, so we give them the warning (as it's not something teachers would normally really want to do). Soln. B below is prob. what you want to use (it should be most familiar to you), but I personally like soln. A best...

There are two main methods to give the head the reports for them to write their section:

A) If you're using our servers, get the teachers to 'upload the pupil file to our servers', then once they are all uploaded, the admin can bring up the administration window and click 'select all', the 'download' will then change to a 'merge' or similar (I'm going from memory). Click 'merge' and it will download them all in sequence and merge them into one file for the head to do their bit, then printing.

B) If you're not using our servers, you can use the pulldown next to the pink save icon to 'save pupil file to memory stick'. It does NOT need to be a U3 stick (a U3 stick can be used to install a special version of the program, so it actually runs from the stick, not the computers hard drive). You will have to prepare the stick first, this does NOT delete anything already on the stick - it just renames the stick so the program can identify it when you want to load from the stick in future (memory sticks have an annoying habit of changing drive letters and this gets past this problem). Then the head loads this file ('load from memory stick', see the validate pull down menu). The reason why we use two different pulldown menus for save/load from memory stick and server is to prevent people clicking the wrong one by accident. Some teachers are 'click happy' and just click 'yes' or 'ok' to everythng without reading first! After the head has done their bit, they can save to memory stick and give it back to the teacher or print out.

There should have been a message in the 'prepare memory stick' that lets you know it doesn;t delete anything - did it not show that message? If not, let me know and I'll get it sorted asap.
    Last edited by ComputingData; 4th May 2010 at 02:31 PM.

3. Thanks to ComputingData from:

kaphc (4th May 2010)

Thank Post
    I have just got to grips with ReportPlus and have installed it on Teacher Laptops for them to try. The first problem I had was that I entered a teacher name incorrectly and there is no option to delete. I read your reply earlier in this thread ComputingData, so I now realise that I will need to get you to delete the unwanted name from the server. Next problem is that I need to log in to each teacher laptop (because of the way the County have set up our security) as an administrator in order to install the software. Teachers do not have permission to install and I cannot log in as the teacher. I therefore need to stand over each teacher as they log in and load the necessary files from the memory stick I have prepared just to check that all is in place. Can I just copy across the files to their My documents folder?

I have also been asked to set up ReportAssist 2009 again for this year (the County have not yet got round to adopting Windows Vista or Windows 7. We are still using XP!) and I will be interested to see which one the teachers use. Not my decision.

Thank Post
    Users and Teachers are treated differently by the program - you create users in the Admin window and currently you can't delete them once created (we can do this for you). Teachers are created either by importing them along with pupils, or by clicking 'add teacher' in the 'Teacher' menu at the top of the screen. To delete one, just select him/her in the dropdown above the pupil list then click 'Delete teacher' from the 'Teacher' menu.

Counties around the Country have setup stricter security settings for teachers that MI5 do it seems! lol.

If you have saved the settings to memory stick (using the option within the program), you can load them in from memory stick too (using an option within the program). If you wanted you can manually copy them to documents and settings/ReportPlus, but don't copy settings/options.ini ...

So the teacher has both RA and RP on the computer at the same time? If so, they may find it useful to know they can paste from ReportAssist to ReportPlus by copying the text in ReportAssist, then positioning the cursor where they want it to go in ReportPlus and pressing Alt-V (normally paste is Ctrl-V), or by clicking the 'Edit' menu and selecting Paste (Not AI).

6. Thanks to ComputingData from:

SneakyBeaky (8th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Now thats what I call a quick response! Yes it is a User that I have entered incorrectly. It doesn't matter because I have not used up the available spaces. I added the correct name as well.

I assumed that the files were saved in each teacher's Documents/ReportPlus/ as that is where I can see the reports.rp file. Its certainly in a folder called Documents/ReportPlus on the memory stick. If they are in Documents and Settings then I can't get at them without logging in to each laptop.

Thanks for the tip with pasting between the RA and RP progams. Once the county upgrade our computers to Windows7 we will have to abandon RA anyway.

Thank Post
    I've PM'ed you with my email address.

If you PM or email me with the school licence name, the first and last digits/letters of the licence password and the user that you want to delete I can sort it out for you asap.

Thank Post
    If you have any ideas on how to help you copy the settings across faster then I'll try help as much as possible. There is a silent install option already, if you need more options then that could be a solution?

(To silent install use 'installplus.exe -silent' in your script).

Thank Post
    Thanks. I will do that.
    Here is another problem.
    I have installed on my home computer (as I wanted to anticipate any problems for teachers doing their own install on home computers).
    It tells me to update and then gives the following error.

Copying install/update/uninstall to program folder.
    *** failed ***
    'C:\Program Files (x86)\ReportPlus\InstallPlus.exe'

I an running on a Windows 7 x64 as Administrator.

Thank Post
    I have that same setup. It may be that windows has locked that folder for some reason? (the executable is being denied access to write to the folder)

Try deleting the folder manually, then download the program from the Internet and re-running it. Only the program is stored there, so there will be no harm done.

12. Thanks to ComputingData from:

SneakyBeaky (8th May 2010)

Thank Post
    O.K. Thats fixed it. It does not indicate that it needs an update anymore; But I will not know if the same problem occurs until I try installing a new update.
    I checked the security on the ReportPlus folder and it was set to Full Control. Another Windows mystery!
    Last edited by SneakyBeaky; 4th May 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Thank Post
    lol. I don't think it will happen again, if it does though please let me know.

Thank Post
    Should there be any folders within the ReportPlus folder?

O.K. I have just checked on a laptop. The only difference is that the laptop has a file called updateplus.exe.
    Presumably this is the file that Windows would not allow to be installed.
    Last edited by SneakyBeaky; 4th May 2010 at 06:34 PM.

Thank Post
    No folders, unless you are running in the alternative network mode (see the website resources section).

It looks like it was Windows denying admin access within an executable (updateplus.exe) that can only run in admin mode! This happens sometimes with Windows - I've even had it happen on an update to the 'Google pack', after it starts then the only way to replace certain files is the manually delete the files and replace rather than copy over.

If it happens again then I'll put in a 'delete and retry' routine for you in the Install.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputingData View Post
    In windows, if you use 'Save as' in a program, a program is supposed to change the default name and location for that file to where you 'pick', some teachers are un-aware of this, so we give them the warning (as it's not something teachers would normally really want to do).
    Ah I see, it sounded such a serious warning message when I looked at it, it never occured to me it was stating the obvious lol!

Quote Originally Posted by ComputingData View Post
    Soln. B below is prob. what you want to use (it should be most familiar to you), but I personally like soln. A best...
    I like Soln A best too, and as all the data is being uploaded to your servers then that sounds like a good way to proceed. Quick, clean and efficient - will have a look at that on Friday when I am back at the school. BTW, am not sure about the message saying that it doesn't delete anything. I can't remember seeing anything but that's not to say that it wasn't there ... will check this again. Can I just confirm - if we are doing an export of the pupil file, does that include the pupils reports as well?

Thank Post
    The pupil file contains the pupil text for all the pupils. The settings and data files are virtually everything else (custom pages, logos, custom subjects, default pupil list, subject order, etc...) except things that may be unique to that user - such as editor preferences, favourites, custom spellings, etc...

This means that the admin can still change most of the settings even AFTER users have started writing reports. They just re-upload the settings and the users re-download them. However, they should be careful removing subjects after people have started work, as the pupil text for that subject will 'disappear' - the user can get it back though by re-enabling the subject. If the Admin changes templates AFTER a user has started work then they won't change - but I'm currently coding something that will allow them to do this (if the actual template line/paragraph hasn't changed). Any editor specific settings or preferences that the user has changed to make life easier for themselves can't be messed with by the admin.
    Last edited by ComputingData; 4th May 2010 at 08:52 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast