+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, SMART Install Manager (Installing Notebook 10 and Essentials) in Technical; In my case I am trying to place the LAT and Gallery on a network share to be installed locally ...

Thank Post
    In my case I am trying to place the LAT and Gallery on a network share to be installed locally to the staff members notebook, not simply telling Notebook that the files are still on the share.

In a way I am experiencing the same problem as McDonnJD except Gallery now works, despite me using AD and him Novell.

What does your CONTENT_SOURCE_PATH look like in the MST?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    might be worth installing manually on a pc then ripping reg settings out for gallery and just xcopying the gallery files across yes its a dirty way to install but should work thats how i had been doing lat
    That does sound like a messy way and I doubt there would be a noticeable difference in speed compared to using the Gallery Setup program like I am doing. The most time consuming part is while the files copy over from the server, but using the tools seems the better and cleaner option to me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Adam_ View Post
    In my case I am trying to place the LAT and Gallery on a network share to be installed locally to the staff members notebook, not simply telling Notebook that the files are still on the share.

In a way I am experiencing the same problem as McDonnJD except Gallery now works, despite me using AD and him Novell.

What does your CONTENT_SOURCE_PATH look like in the MST?
    I tell the admin tools to not install them. I extracted the LAT and Essentials ZIPs that Smart provides to a network share. I then point the Gallery Setup program at the two .gallerycollection files to install the galleries to the local hard drive. You can see the basics in the last batch file I posted, something like post 10 or something. On my phone, so canMt find out for sure while typing this.

*Gallery Setup is installed in the Common Programs directory when you install Notepad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McDonnJD View Post
    That does sound like a messy way and I doubt there would be a noticeable difference in speed compared to using the Gallery Setup program like I am doing. The most time consuming part is while the files copy over from the server, but using the tools seems the better and cleaner option to me.
    i agree it is messy but it does work and sometimes thats enough

if you are just pointing the gallery to a shared location then you just just again set it up on one right and mjust export the reg settings from that pc then import to the rest if you are just having issues with the gallery

Thank Post
    i agree it is messy but it does work and sometimes thats enough

if you are just pointing the gallery to a shared location then you just just again set it up on one right and mjust export the reg settings from that pc then import to the rest if you are just having issues with the gallery
    Or just change the command line options you pass to Gallery Setup, I think you just add the -remote option, but I kind of skipped over the options that didn't involve installing locally, so it might be more complex than that. Both methods work, but this is the method I found first and it just works.

If anyone was wondering, I found this PDF. It's for version 9.7, but the Gallery Setup command line options are still the same for 10.6, didn't check how relevant the rest of the content is. It has all the command line options for installing locally, using a share, downloading the galleries instead of pulling them from a share to install locally, etc.

As long as Smart doesn't change how this works, I like using the Gallery Setup install. It provides a single command (granted it's somewhat long with the options I pass to it) to copy the files to the local drive and register it within Notebook and takes less than 15 minutes to install. I don't know the exact time as I've only run it in the batch file along with the Notepad 10.6 install and my whole batch file takes ~15 minutes to install the drivers, Notebook, ensure the Flash components are at least the minimum required for the Flash based stuff in Notebook, install the Essentials for Educators gallery and the Lesson Activity Toolkit. The only way I'd see switching to xcopying all the files over and then importing the registry settings would be if it was significantly faster, but the part that seems to take the longest is copying the files over, the "installation" (registering them with Notebook via either the Gallery Setup or registry settings) takes almost no time at all. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other really.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McDonnJD View Post
    Or just change the command line options you pass to Gallery Setup, I think you just add the -remote option, but I kind of skipped over the options that didn't involve installing locally, so it might be more complex than that. Both methods work, but this is the method I found first and it just works.

If anyone was wondering, I found this PDF. It's for version 9.7, but the Gallery Setup command line options are still the same for 10.6, didn't check how relevant the rest of the content is. It has all the command line options for installing locally, using a share, downloading the galleries instead of pulling them from a share to install locally, etc.

As long as Smart doesn't change how this works, I like using the Gallery Setup install. It provides a single command (granted it's somewhat long with the options I pass to it) to copy the files to the local drive and register it within Notebook and takes less than 15 minutes to install. I don't know the exact time as I've only run it in the batch file along with the Notepad 10.6 install and my whole batch file takes ~15 minutes to install the drivers, Notebook, ensure the Flash components are at least the minimum required for the Flash based stuff in Notebook, install the Essentials for Educators gallery and the Lesson Activity Toolkit. The only way I'd see switching to xcopying all the files over and then importing the registry settings would be if it was significantly faster, but the part that seems to take the longest is copying the files over, the "installation" (registering them with Notebook via either the Gallery Setup or registry settings) takes almost no time at all. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other really.
    like i said its a messy solution but if all else fails then it does work. Ive never tried remote clipart settings as a fairly high percentage of the pcs i shovel smart onto are laptops that go home at night so need it locally so to keep my life simple i just have 1 set of settings so even machines that stay put get local cliapart granted it can take time to install but saves on network traffic later and lets face it im seldom going to fill even an 80gb drive on a school pc so may as well use the space

Thank Post
    like i said its a messy solution but if all else fails then it does work. Ive never tried remote clipart settings as a fairly high percentage of the pcs i shovel smart onto are laptops that go home at night so need it locally so to keep my life simple i just have 1 set of settings so even machines that stay put get local cliapart granted it can take time to install but saves on network traffic later and lets face it im seldom going to fill even an 80gb drive on a school pc so may as well use the space
    I do the same thing, I'd rather not have the network traffic going across the MAN links to the central server every time they want something from the galleries. Granted we did just upgrade from T1's to a 100meg link this past summer, but I'd still rather not do it. Until doing this install, I didn't even know you could use a network share and I did briefly consider it, but then remembered all the laptops that the teachers take home. I also didn't want to mess with different setups, so I just have the gallery files extracted to a share on the admin server that I only have to reference once during the install for them to be installed locally on the hard drive.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12