+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Educational Software Thread, Softlink Oliver in Technical; Why is this piece of software built using 'Concordance'? Just why? Concordance is designed as a data repository for Legal ...
  1. #1

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,879
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838

    Softlink Oliver

    Why is this piece of software built using 'Concordance'? Just why? Concordance is designed as a data repository for Legal documents (ie. court transcripts, depositions etc...), and not for a general relational database!

    Add in the joy that Softlink has now released a new version built on SQL server, but we can't update to it yet, as it doesn't contain the functionality to integrate with Renaissance Place...

    I'm just bewildered really. It isn't as if SQL is new or anything - it having been first introduced in 1974... Gah!

  2. #2
    ahuxham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,122
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 138 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    I thought the point/concepts of Concordance was a few of the following:

    Language teaching
    Language learning
    Data mining
    Language engineering

    and obviously various other activities.

  3. #3

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,879
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    As far as I'm aware, Concordance was designed for legal stuff, as I stated. It is now part of LexisNexis, the publishing company that specialises in Legal and related fields.

    Litigation Document Management Software: Concordance | LexisNexis

  4. #4
    ahuxham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,122
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 138 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    As far as I'm aware, Concordance was designed for legal stuff, as I stated. It is now part of LexisNexis, the publishing company that specialises in Legal and related fields.

    Litigation Document Management Software: Concordance | LexisNexis
    As far as you were aware indeed. It may have been designed for that use, but its moved into pastures new. It's not just for legal stuff, its very hand for data-mining as well as language teaching.

    Concordance isn't an entity assigned to a single task, its also a very good principal system other software can inherit.

    Viagra was designed for a completely different purpose other than male impotency (I'm sure it was designed for head-aches), a prime example of something starting and than moulding into various other platforms

  5. #5

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,433
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 646 Times in 528 Posts
    Rep Power
    159
    It's an educational sector piece of software. Be lucky it's going\gone SQL. Alice is one of the better bits of software on the market.

  6. #6

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,879
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    As far as you were aware indeed. It may have been designed for that use, but its moved into pastures new. It's not just for legal stuff, its very hand for data-mining as well as language teaching.

    Concordance isn't an entity assigned to a single task, its also a very good principal system other software can inherit.

    Viagra was designed for a completely different purpose other than male impotency (I'm sure it was designed for head-aches), a prime example of something starting and than moulding into various other platforms
    You are thinking about an entirely different piece of software. I'm talking about Concordance the database/document management system, not Concordance released by RJC Watt of Dundee University...

  7. #7
    ahuxham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,122
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 138 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You are thinking about an entirely different piece of software. I'm talking about Concordance the database/document management system, not Concordance released by RJC Watt of Dundee University...
    Didn't I just say its not an entity itself more a principal....?

  8. #8

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,879
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Didn't I just say its not an entity itself more a principal....?
    Err... You are still confused. Concordance is an entity - it is the renamed and improved upon 'DataFlight' software. If you had bothered to click on the link I placed earlier, you'd be able to see that!!!

    Independently, another guy developed his own data mining software.

    Discussion of 'principal' is irrelevant - i'm talking about database backends! Not linguistic (or any other type of) principals!

  9. #9
    ahuxham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,122
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 138 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Err... You are still confused. Concordance is an entity - it is the renamed and improved upon 'DataFlight' software. If you had bothered to click on the link I placed earlier, you'd be able to see that!!!

    Independently, another guy developed his own data mining software.

    Discussion of 'principal' is irrelevant - i'm talking about database backends! Not linguistic (or any other type of) principals!
    Yet again Local showing is forum prowess and being an utter idiot at the same time.

    Firstly Concordance was a program for Litigation documents, however the system and design were borrowed and added to various other products around the globe, therefore it is a principal.

    It's how the system was designed, how it was set-up, interaction, searching, data-mining, general, database set-up and overview that was move from this piece of software. We used a piece of software in the Speech and Language department at the RUH in Bath, that used the same back end and design to control litigation documents, which was modified to-do a completely new task.

    And I did click the link!!!!!! (Few more !!!'s as it seems you like to use these)

    Oh and btw, aren't you supposed to leave me a response here, your changing of topics was outstanding: Wireless roaming throughout the school

  10. #10

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,879
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    Yet again Local showing is forum prowess and being an utter idiot at the same time.

    Firstly Concordance was a program for Litigation documents, however the system and design were borrowed and added to various other products around the globe, therefore it is a principal.

    It's how the system was designed, how it was set-up, interaction, searching, data-mining, general, database set-up and overview that was move from this piece of software. We used a piece of software in the Speech and Language department at the RUH in Bath, that used the same back end and design to control litigation documents, which was modified to-do a completely new task.

    And I did click the link!!!!!! (Few more !!!'s as it seems you like to use these)

    Oh and btw, aren't you supposed to leave me a response here, your changing of topics was outstanding: Wireless roaming throughout the school
    Ok, may I ask why you brought this software up? This principal? It is irrelevant in its entirety to this thread. I have no interest in what someone else borrowed and turned it into for another task. I am referring to the narrow item of 'Concordance' as a database backend, which Oliver uses. It hasn't been altered, it isn't special, it is just Concordance, being used as a relational database backend. Rather than a much more sensible choice of an SQL server. A school library system does not need advanced data-mining techniques, it doesn't need to be a document management system, it doesn't need linguistic analysis etc... It just needs a decent, stable, RDBMS.

    And I will look at the other link shortly, I have been up to a lot recently, so things slip through the net. The fact that you remembered an old thread, and then think it reasonable to bring it up on something else is amazing. Its almost like some form of forum stalking...

  11. #11

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,935
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 290 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Add in the joy that Softlink has now released a new version built on SQL server, but we can't update to it yet, as it doesn't contain the functionality to integrate with Renaissance Place...
    !
    Thanks localzuk,

    Hurrah to new SQL version....

    Booooo to no renaissance.... any eta on renaissance integration?

  12. #12
    ahuxham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,122
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 138 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ok, may I ask why you brought this software up? This principal? It is irrelevant in its entirety to this thread. I have no interest in what someone else borrowed and turned it into for another task. I am referring to the narrow item of 'Concordance' as a database backend, which Oliver uses. It hasn't been altered, it isn't special, it is just Concordance, being used as a relational database backend. Rather than a much more sensible choice of an SQL server. A school library system does not need advanced data-mining techniques, it doesn't need to be a document management system, it doesn't need linguistic analysis etc... It just needs a decent, stable, RDBMS.

    And I will look at the other link shortly, I have been up to a lot recently, so things slip through the net. The fact that you remembered an old thread, and then think it reasonable to bring it up on something else is amazing. Its almost like some form of forum stalking...
    You brought it up, you're arguing that the backend is horrible and useless and I am merely proving its not.

    Please, in future to save argument could you keep your nonsensical forum threads to a minimum, clearly wasn't worth it and to be honest no one has even commented, clearly proving what a flop train of thought that was. If you're merely after post counts, I'm sure there are plenty more threads you can add your own thoughts to.

    And I'd argue that advanced data-mining is quite a nice feature for a library system, allowing users to search content in all books and finding a relevant book to the task.

    The fact I remember it, was your blatant and absurd views on the matter, saying it doesn't work, it wont work, and when shown it does and the technology, standards and living proof you just tried to derail the fact, you were wrong.. as I clearly stated, thought it was a bit cowardly not to have responded, but oh well, too each his own.

  13. #13

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,879
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    You brought it up, you're arguing that the backend is horrible and useless and I am merely proving its not.

    Please, in future to save argument could you keep your nonsensical forum threads to a minimum, clearly wasn't worth it and to be honest no one has even commented, clearly proving what a flop train of thought that was. If you're merely after post counts, I'm sure there are plenty more threads you can add your own thoughts to.

    And I'd argue that advanced data-mining is quite a nice feature for a library system, allowing users to search content in all books and finding a relevant book to the task.

    The fact I remember it, was your blatant and absurd views on the matter, saying it doesn't work, it wont work, and when shown it does and the technology, standards and living proof you just tried to derail the fact, you were wrong.. as I clearly stated, thought it was a bit cowardly not to have responded, but oh well, too each his own.
    Yes, I asked why they had used it. It is a system that I have proof on a day to day basis that is not reliable and difficult to manage. Even one of SoftLink's support chaps mentioned it was a weird system today, after showing me that in order to edit a field in the database he had to do various things such as 'packing' the database. It doesn't seem to have a reliable transaction logging system, so tracking where mistakes are occurring, or rolling them back is a large undertaking (unless I feel like simply restoring the entire database from a backup, losing any changes made).

    Why must you turn up on a thread, be confrontational, bring up irrelevant products derived from the software but not actually related to it etc...

    Face the facts - I am talking about a specific product, a specific database backend, and you decided to try and make me look a fool by talking about something completely different - and then tried to turn it into an attack on me as an individual. I'd suggest you grow up my friend.

  14. #14
    ahuxham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,122
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 138 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yes, I asked why they had used it. It is a system that I have proof on a day to day basis that is not reliable and difficult to manage. Even one of SoftLink's support chaps mentioned it was a weird system today, after showing me that in order to edit a field in the database he had to do various things such as 'packing' the database. It doesn't seem to have a reliable transaction logging system, so tracking where mistakes are occurring, or rolling them back is a large undertaking (unless I feel like simply restoring the entire database from a backup, losing any changes made).

    Why must you turn up on a thread, be confrontational, bring up irrelevant products derived from the software but not actually related to it etc...

    Face the facts - I am talking about a specific product, a specific database backend, and you decided to try and make me look a fool by talking about something completely different - and then tried to turn it into an attack on me as an individual. I'd suggest you grow up my friend.
    I'm sure you're original post ask why, why, why? Leaning toward someone else to jump on the band-wagon and give you some pretend e-crony-ism.

    I wasn't confrontational, perhaps you should re-read the second post and the third when you turned into "LOCALZ-FORUM-WARRIORZ"

    Perhaps in the future, if you don't like what people have to say or don't like other peoples opinions, you might think about starting another thread.

    I was trying to express my opinion that Concordance and its backend isn't as crap as you make it out to be, perhaps I was defending a product, it wasn't an attack either.

    Thanks for the negative rep Here comes yours.

  15. #15

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,879
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    I'm sure you're original post ask why, why, why? Leaning toward someone else to jump on the band-wagon and give you some pretend e-crony-ism.

    I wasn't confrontational, perhaps you should re-read the second post and the third when you turned into "LOCALZ-FORUM-WARRIORZ"

    Perhaps in the future, if you don't like what people have to say or don't like other peoples opinions, you might think about starting another thread.

    I was trying to express my opinion that Concordance and its backend isn't as crap as you make it out to be, perhaps I was defending a product, it wasn't an attack either.

    Thanks for the negative rep Here comes yours.
    OK. Let me get this straight...

    1. I post asking why Softlink used this product as their backend.
    2. You post comments about it being related to linguistic analysis (which is in no way related to Oliver, or Concordance, the product I posted about).
    3. I post a link to the product I am referring to.
    4. You talk of a seperate product, by another person which took some of the principals of the software and created their own product.
    5. You insist that you are being relevant by saying 'Concordance is a principal' - ignoring that the topic is about Oliver and Concordance the DBMS.
    6. You then launch into personal attacks "Yet again Local showing is forum prowess and being an utter idiot at the same time." and bring up another, irrelevant topic (wireless).
    7. I reiterate my comment about it being about the DBMS purely, including a comment about it after being told it was weird by a Softlink support chap.
    8. You launch into another personal attack.

    Neg rep for that? Damn straight you got neg rep!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep
    Thanks localzuk,

    Hurrah to new SQL version....

    Booooo to no renaissance.... any eta on renaissance integration?
    Indeed hurrah. I've not been given any time-scale, I only found out about it after our librarian was sent a flyer discussing upgrade costs. I'd hope they would get the renaissance place integration done speedily - it is pretty widely used. Our teachers use it every day here now. The kids seem to like it too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] Oliver Sacks: What hallucination reveals about our minds
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th December 2009, 11:46 AM
  2. Softlink Alice
    By pritchardavid in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th October 2009, 09:05 PM
  3. Oliver BDZ System
    By katie.lawe in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd June 2009, 04:51 PM
  4. Softlink Alice
    By azrael78 in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 6th December 2007, 10:39 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •