+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Softlink Oliver in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk OK. Let me get this straight... 1. I post asking why Softlink used this product as ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    OK. Let me get this straight...

1. I post asking why Softlink used this product as their backend.
    2. You post comments about it being related to linguistic analysis (which is in no way related to Oliver, or Concordance, the product I posted about).
    3. I post a link to the product I am referring to.
    4. You talk of a seperate product, by another person which took some of the principals of the software and created their own product.
    5. You insist that you are being relevant by saying 'Concordance is a principal' - ignoring that the topic is about Oliver and Concordance the DBMS.
    6. You then launch into personal attacks "Yet again Local showing is forum prowess and being an utter idiot at the same time." and bring up another, irrelevant topic (wireless).
    7. I reiterate my comment about it being about the DBMS purely, including a comment about it after being told it was weird by a Softlink support chap.
    8. You launch into another personal attack.
    1. Here's a clever idea, I know it sounds logical right... why don't you ask them instead of people who know nothing about how its created/designed
    2. But that's what it's used for in other applications
    3. I put my point across about its usefulness as a backend
    4. Your point being, an example of a product where concordance as a back end works
    5. The topic wasn't about the use of Oliver or DBMS, the topic was "Why do they use concordance"
    6. Not an irrelevant topic, one where as per usual your comments were unjust, confusing and no way relevant to the topic, and its not a personal attack, its known fact.
    7. Re-iterate a point not linked to the topic or not explained in the topic, very cleverly done there.
    8. Known fact again..

Thank Post
    I was shocked to hear when I rang softlink today that Oliver is not supported on Firefox.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    I was shocked to hear when I rang softlink today that Oliver is not supported on Firefox.
    I'd guess that they are referring to the librarian side of things, rather than the pupil side, as it uses various technologies IIRC (I have memories of some form of IE addon that needed installing).

We use the pupil side, so they can search the catalogue/see links etc..., on Mac's with Camino at our school and it seems to work great. It is also available to parents and pupils out of school - and we get a variety of browsers connecting to that.

Thank Post
    I expect the main reason you need IE for the librarian back end is for the reports (overdues etc), which use a word/excel template and some vb jiggery pokery.

I know this because we had a problem yesterday with our librarian's computer which turned out to be CC3 using a different location for word templates to what Oliver expected.

I am filled with dread every time we get a problem with Oliver (because it's never anything I can just wander down to the library and fix) but I would have to say that they are always very helpful when you call them... most of the time we let the librarians call them, we don't even have to get involved. It's one of the better systems we have.
    Last edited by Batman; 9th March 2010 at 08:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Despite giving seemingly frequent problems, I dont mind Oliver. The backend is strange, wouldnt say performance is bad or anything, just that I dont know much about administering it.
    And tbf the problems are often because our librarian is always trying to do something different with it, the basic day to day functions work well.

Softlink are a genuinely good company with regards to support too, quick response, and they're always willing to do a remote support session or talk you through something if you're happy to do it yourself. Also (I assume because the UK office is fairly small) you can usually deal with the same few people each time, which makes things a lot easier

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree - their support is first class, and their staff are always friendly (which is always important, as I dislike sitting on the phone with someone for an hour who sounds like they've given up on life).

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone know if you can install Oliver on Windows 2008 R2?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Timeous thread appearing. We are having issues with our oliver. The Catalogue lookup part is taking ages.. sometimes up to 10 mins if they user has a lot of items out. This only started a few weeks ago.. It happens in both firefox and IE and on Win7 and XP.. Oliver support have suggested a few tihngs but none have worked.

Anyone come accross this issue before?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes its the same Issue I am having, we thought it was our server so I'm doing a managed transfer to a new virtualized one hence my question above.
    Last edited by zag; 27th May 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Anyone know if you can install Oliver on Windows 2008 R2?
    I did it once and ended up using 2003 instead. I can't remember the exact reason but it was something to do with a proglet that wanted to run in console/session 0 and couldn't because of the way 2008 works.

I'd say it's best to have a dedicated server for it anyway so keep it simple and stick with 2003 is my advice - although things may have improved since I used it last. Ask Softlink if they support it, they may be doing so now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Timeous thread appearing. We are having issues with our oliver. The Catalogue lookup part is taking ages.. sometimes up to 10 mins if they user has a lot of items out. This only started a few weeks ago.. It happens in both firefox and IE and on Win7 and XP.. Oliver support have suggested a few tihngs but none have worked.

Anyone come accross this issue before?
    Same issue here, 4gb allocated.

Java seems to be eating it all, although giving it a reboot clears the memory use and drags it down to 200mb. Strangly its very fast and quick, over the next few hours it gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

Not happy, there other servers that do far more work.

Support are nice, but not much use so far.

Thank Post
    Hey,

I had an email from Softlink offering to host Oliver with Softlink and they would do all the upgrades etc (we are on 4 but they will move us to 5 as part of the migration) This seems like a good idea to me as I wouldn't have to worry about backing this up or running a dedicated server onsite. Anyone else considered this or have any thoughts?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_2k View Post
    Hey,

I had an email from Softlink offering to host Oliver with Softlink and they would do all the upgrades etc (we are on 4 but they will move us to 5 as part of the migration) This seems like a good idea to me as I wouldn't have to worry about backing this up or running a dedicated server onsite. Anyone else considered this or have any thoughts?
    How much did they quote you to host it for you? (If you dont mind me asking?).

We use Alice and I have been advised that Alice will not work with Win 7 and Server 2008 R2. Something to do with SMB2. We are therefore looking to upgrade to Oliver but at over 2000 it is not cheap.

Thank Post
    I wonder how much that hosting would cost? We, well I say we when actually I mean the librarian, wants to upgrade to version 5 but that is RAM hungry which means I need to upgrade our PDC to cope with it.

Thank Post
    Speaking to our librarian this afternoon, apparently they charge 600 a year and if you want to upgrade to v5 its an extra 1200. Surely this can't be right?! Why pay 600 year for maintenance and have to pay for an upgrade on top?!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast