+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Smartboard Software with PowerPoint 2003 in Technical; One of our HS science teachers is having a problem with the SmartBoard but it only seems to exist when ...
    Thank Post

Smartboard Software with PowerPoint 2003

One of our HS science teachers is having a problem with the SmartBoard but it only seems to exist when using MS PowerPoint (2003). Her desktop OS is XP Pro, all patches. She is running the most current version of SNB, and drivers are all up to date. There is a significant delay when attempting to change slides in PPT or making annotations - sometimes 3-5 seconds and sometimes it does not fully recognize contact with the board.

Here are the steps we have taken so far:
    1. Tested other applications outside of PPT including Smart Notebook, Internet Explorer, MS Word, Excell, Desktop, and all work normally.
    2. Uninstalled and reinstalled the SmartBoard drivers.
    3. Replaced the USB cable, no change.
    4. Tried her PowerPoint presentations on another teacher's station and SmartBoard logged in with a generic teacher account - worked fine.
    5. Tried her PowerPoint presentations on her station logged in as a different user - admin and generic account - they worked fine.
    6. Connected another laptop to her SmartBoard and had her login and run the presentations - issue still existed.
    7. Deleted her local user profile, had her log in again - issue still existed.
    8. Deleted the Smart Technologies and Smart Notebook folders in her user space thinking that there may be some temporary file in there causing the issues. No change.
    9. Uninstall the Smart NoteBook software, and reinstall.

The issue seems to be related to her profile somehow, but I'm not sure how. We don't use roaming profiles in our District. My first thought was the there was a registry entry that was causing a problem, but since the issue occured when she was logged on to a different laptop that can't be it.

The only thing I can thing of to try next is to uninstall everything, go through the registry and delete any reference to SMART Technologies, delete her profile, and start from scratch. Or I could reimage it.

Is there anything I missed? I've seen some posts out there where other users have had issues with PowerPoint, but haven't really found a solution.

Thanks,

Joe
    Last edited by naturalbornchaos; 4th March 2010 at 08:37 PM.

Thank Post
    hermmmmmmm

she defo getting a mandatory profile? same as all other teachers as you say you had to delete her local profile

check in ad what profile she is getting
    Last edited by round2it; 4th March 2010 at 08:48 PM.

Thank Post
    I've only spent 20 minutes or so on this. I had someone else do all the grunt work after I gave them a few suggestions via e-mail while I was in VMWare training. I would like to know what is going on, if possible, because we are adding 75 more of these Smartboards bringing us to over 125 total. I feel perfectly justified in trying to figure out what is going on as I currently have the time. I support 900 workstations/laptops working 30 hours week at this District. I think I know what I'm doing.

Sorry ff this sounded harsh, it was not meant to be.
    Last edited by naturalbornchaos; 4th March 2010 at 09:00 PM.

Thank Post
    just seems to be profile related to that user to me
    Last edited by round2it; 4th March 2010 at 08:52 PM.

Thank Post
    I know it seems to be profile related, that' what I can't figure out. No way is she getting a roaming profile. I checked her setup, Group membership, etc against some other teachers, she's the same. I thought maybe it was a video driver issue as I just reimaged her laptop for another reason a month or so ago, but if that was the case I'd think it would affect all users.

I don't know. I am stumped. If it IS profile related, then'll it probably come back after a reimage. Whacking her profile didn't fix the problem.

Thank Post
    you got me
    could you try promote her username to admin level and see if that works any differently just to see if it is a permissions thing ?

sorry clutching at straws here

6. Connected another laptop to her SmartBoard and had her login and run the presentations - issue still existed.
    cant be video as problem existed on another laptop unless it was identical to the other

is it all her presentations or a few
    Last edited by round2it; 4th March 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Her account is a member of our AD Group "Teachers" which is a member of the Administrators Group on the machine. (I know, that is not a good idea. But that was not my decision).

If we test the same file on her computer while logged in another teacher, or as a domain admin, it works fine.

I could possibly add her to the Domain Admins group for testing, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference as the Domain Admins group is also part of local Administrators.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

This is def. a weird one.

Thank Post
    thats the way i would go

full access then work backwards
    keep things simple and dont take anything for granted as it always ends up as something blindingly obvious

hopefully the guys and girls on Edugeek might be able to help more than me

you could also ask sysman_MK who seemed to have the same sort of issue that you are having with the long delay in PPT.
    Slow Responding SMARTBoard

see if he ever got to the bottom of it.

Thank Post
    One thing I would like to clarify. When I say that her profile was deleted, I mean that one that gets created in C:\Documents and Settings on the workstation.

Thank Post
    As of right now, it looks like the fix is to roll back the software to an older version.

Thank Post
    well it is another "well thats just weird" moment to add to the list of fixes

why does it work for others

glad you fixed it and sorry i was not much help.

Thank Post
    You don't have to be sorry. I appreciate you taking the time to look at this issue, and your input.

As for it working for "other users", let this be a lesson NOT to take someone else's word when they look at an issue like this. Today was the first day I could sit down at the computer, and when I logged in as a domain admin (not the teacher) I experienced the dreadful slowness on the smartboard. Now, maybe something is goofed up with that profile, or the default user profile on the machine. Or maybe the person doing the troubleshooting was not totally accurate in what they were telling me.

Oh well, thanks again. Cheers!

Thank Post
    ok the vital piece of information falls into place

14. Thanks to round2it from:

naturalbornchaos (5th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Yes, it would have been nice to have known that little bit of info before I posted.

Thank Post
    no worries buddy any time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast