+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, CD Label Software - Package Creation in Technical; Our music teacher has recently bought some gear, and needs the following free software to be installed: PressIt | CD ...

Thank Post

CD Label Software - Package Creation

Our music teacher has recently bought some gear, and needs the following free software to be installed:

PressIt | CD Label Makers. Easy Design, Print & Apply with Free Label & DVD Cover Design Software

As he needs it on about 20 machines I thought package is the easiest way to go. I created a package easy as pie, but upon testing (as a testpupil user) it allows access (read/write) to the C: drive, as well as read access to areas such as the RMPublic drive (P.

Anybody got any idea how I can go about configuring this so it doesn't allow this? I think it's done with Java - don't know if this makes it more complicated to achieve. I'm definately not going to roll it out until I get this issue resolved as it is quite a security loophole on the network.

I have contacted the company (about a week ago) and still had no reply so decided to pop it up on here.

Cheers,

Thank Post
    Just giving this a little

Thank Post
    My recommendation would be to first of all do a normal install on a machine (i.e. from the disk as the vendor would of anticipated) and see if the same issue is still there. If so, then it probably would be quite hard work to achieve ..

The other option is to set up templates in Publisher (assuming you have that at your gaff) that can be used to print the labels from. A bit harder work perhaps, but certainly not as hard work as fixing your network when a little darling deletes half of the stuff.

Personally, I hate sticky label systems. The number of wasted discs if you don't get it quite right, you're better off buying an inkjet printer with CD Printing Capabilities (epson do a few at a reasonable price) or getting a LightScribe Drive and Media (which I've been using recently to label the Christmas Performance DVDs).

If they insist on using the software, then if you can, get a standalone machine with it on, as you're right, public access like that would not be healthy for a network with little darlings wanting to play.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread