+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Librarian Software in Technical; Can anyone here recommend a decent library package OTHER than anything provided by MLS? They've just won my "#1 Way ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Librarian Software

Can anyone here recommend a decent library package OTHER than anything provided by MLS?

They've just won my "#1 Way to Make Me Hate You" award in quite big style. Spent a few months going between LEA and ISP to get a few ports opened and MLS's servers added to the proxy bypass to speed things up somewhat - when it finally all went through a fortnight or so ago it was wonderful. Everything worked, it wasn't JL 3 but it was better than it was by a long way.
    Then on the 29th one of my schools gets an email.

"Hi. I know you've done all that hard work, but as from tomorrow, It's useless. Ha Ha. We're changing servers and the URL is changing from juniorlibrarian.net to microlibrarian.net. Tomorrow. Yeah that's right. A Saturday. Just so you don't have time to do ANYTHING about it. Tttthhhrrrrrpt!"

That wasn't a word for word quote, but in my rather annoyed head, the above would at least have been truthful.

So, school is back to having a barely functioning library system. I think ideally they'd like a similar idea, a library they can use anywhere effectively, however if that's not going to happen we may roll back to Junior 3 forcibly.

Thank Post
    I take it your running the hosted version?

It's funny, we've got someone in to do some training/a user group session at the mo

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 2,255 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use AccessIT here which is now actually pretty decent now Access-It Library and Resource Manager its apparently got good UK support and is NZ developed software It uses java so will run on Windows or OS X and has full web based access and booking for students. It uses the opensource Firebird SQL server and can integrate with LDAP and Clickview. You can run the server on a workstation OS or server if you preffer.

Ages ago, before it was released in the UK it used to be rubbish as it was based on 4D database rubbish but thankfully that has been cast aside for propper solutions as above.

Thank Post
    We use AccessIT too. Still have some initial set issues (link to SIMS) but fundamentally a good system.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know Softlink does a few packages.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    We are planning to switch to Softlink Oliver in the summer after years on their previous product, Alice. I visited the SoftLink stand at BETT this year and got a great technical run-down of the product from the guy on the stand (can't remember his name, but he was very knowledgeable). I was pleased with what I saw.

Back end runs on Java Enterprise, with the database in MS SQL Server. The OPAC is entirely web-based, AJAX enabled, web parts for SharePoint and Moodle, and it even has a mini-CMS built in to allow you to run a separate library portal run by the LIS staff, if you want. It can also talk to SIMS and Serco for user information. Although they market it to secondary schools, it has a tiered OPAC system that you can assign to appear to particular users via AD integration, and the least complex one would suit almost down to Reception level. I don't have the quote to hand, but it's also quite reasonably priced.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is also a open source package you can look at, Koha I think it's called.

Thank Post
    We switched to the latest SQL version of Oliver late last year, having been part of the original pilot for the very first version of Oliver.

The result is one very ticked off librarian, an increase in technician time trying to get it working and softlink technical support have now made it onto our speed dial for the first time in over ten years of dealing with them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Can anyone here recommend a decent library package OTHER than anything provided by MLS?

They've just won my "#1 Way to Make Me Hate You" award in quite big style. Spent a few months going between LEA and ISP to get a few ports opened and MLS's servers added to the proxy bypass to speed things up somewhat - when it finally all went through a fortnight or so ago it was wonderful. Everything worked, it wasn't JL 3 but it was better than it was by a long way.
    Then on the 29th one of my schools gets an email.

"Hi. I know you've done all that hard work, but as from tomorrow, It's useless. Ha Ha. We're changing servers and the URL is changing from juniorlibrarian.net to microlibrarian.net. Tomorrow. Yeah that's right. A Saturday. Just so you don't have time to do ANYTHING about it. Tttthhhrrrrrpt!"
    thats why its stopped working i just thought the server was down or lea isp was being poor like usual the sooner i can get rid of them the happier i will be. JL3 was so much less hassle than this online one im steering schools towards the old software as it just works.

well changed address to microlibrarian.net and at least i now get an error lol

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
    Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /junior.aspx
    Last edited by sted; 2nd February 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by limbo View Post
    We switched to the latest SQL version of Oliver late last year, having been part of the original pilot for the very first version of Oliver.

The result is one very ticked off librarian, an increase in technician time trying to get it working and softlink technical support have now made it onto our speed dial for the first time in over ten years of dealing with them.
    Whoo, that's not what I wanted to hear! Now I have though, I'd be interested in learning more about the problems you've had, either here or via PM if you don't want to go off-topic.

Thank Post
    Heritage?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    We are planning to switch to Softlink Oliver in the summer after years on their previous product, Alice. I visited the SoftLink stand at BETT this year and got a great technical run-down of the product from the guy on the stand (can't remember his name, but he was very knowledgeable). I was pleased with what I saw.

Back end runs on Java Enterprise, with the database in MS SQL Server. The OPAC is entirely web-based, AJAX enabled, web parts for SharePoint and Moodle, and it even has a mini-CMS built in to allow you to run a separate library portal run by the LIS staff, if you want. It can also talk to SIMS and Serco for user information. Although they market it to secondary schools, it has a tiered OPAC system that you can assign to appear to particular users via AD integration, and the least complex one would suit almost down to Reception level. I don't have the quote to hand, but it's also quite reasonably priced.
    I would run if I was you, we have oliver v3 and the support/software is a joke. They are trying to get us to pay more for v4 now when v3 does not work well!
    The support appears to be very very small (we only really speak to one person ever it seems) and as far as they are concerned any app/software can just *magically* route onto the internet without nasty things like proxy addresses etc. They couldnt handle to concept of proxies and thats their support. We are actually getting a demo of Access-IT in the future to replace oliver/softlink for good!
    I would really run away as its been pain for us and I hold no confidence in v4 being any better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    any app/software can just *magically* route onto the internet without nasty things like proxy addresses etc. They couldnt handle to concept of proxies and thats their support.
    We're also considering Oliver at the moment (about to upgrade from Alice) - can I just clarify that you're saying Oliver doesn't work if you have a proxy server? If so, I think that's decision made for us!

I think Softlink must be a small company - we also speak to the same person every time (Yves), and their stand at BETT was him (why send tech support to BETT?) and the Director. I wonder if that's the extent of the company!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    We're also considering Oliver at the moment (about to upgrade from Alice) - can I just clarify that you're saying Oliver doesn't work if you have a proxy server? If so, I think that's decision made for us!

I think Softlink must be a small company - we also speak to the same person every time (Yves), and their stand at BETT was him (why send tech support to BETT?) and the Director. I wonder if that's the extent of the company!
    Well we use ISA server with NTLM auth and you cant say set a field in an ini to point it to a proxy (at all) esp with any auth so the z-catalogs etc dont update here. I *think* it didnt even bother to route a packet to ISA properly for a deny error to occur which screams of problems. The only fix I have heard about is moving oliver to a DMZ outside your network which is madness tbh and that was not suggested by softlink as they still insist it magically works but rather other people on forums. We were not going to DMZ it so we dont have any external connection for it. The fact the support is so weak I really really wouldnt wish the pain on anyone. This is all v3 though so v4 might be better but they have the gaul to charge us to upgrade when their own stuff does not work for us...
    If I were you I would def try and get a demo of Access-IT simply because I know SYNACK knows his stuff and you dont need a SQL lic (which you may already have)
    I have not seen it myself but we have a demo soon.

15. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

SYNACK (5th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Our proxy is upstream of our network, so that wouldn't work. We're having a demo from MLS in a few weeks, but I will suggest Access-IT too. Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast