+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Photoshop Extended CS4 in Technical; Our Art dept. has some money they need to spend before the end of the financial year and they've asked ...
    Thank Post

Photoshop Extended CS4

Our Art dept. has some money they need to spend before the end of the financial year and they've asked me to help them

Probably going to suggest a mix of hardware and software as they need updates to both so as part of the planning process I legitimately need the trial version of Photoshop Extended CS4 to see how it runs on some of our existing machines.

Trouble is, in typical Adobe fashion (I've never been a fan since their fonts screwed up my Windows 3.11 installation), they've overcomplicated the download process; you can't just download the file, that would be too easy, no, you have to use the "Akamai download manager". Which doesn't seem to work through the LEA proxy (or with Opera, saying "this program only works in Windows" (even in pretend to be IE mode)) it just sits there at 0%, then pauses after a while I'm sitting at the end of a whacking great broadband connection - what do I need a download manager for?

So... any suggestions? either of the "I've got it on a Celeron 1.8 with a gig of ram and it's fine" type, or suggestions of where to download it from without the silly download manager.

Cheers
    Last edited by BatchFile; 22nd January 2010 at 10:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Think I have got a download of the trial software somewhere. If so, I will PM you a link to it.

Steve

3. Thanks to Devontechie from:

BatchFile (22nd January 2010)

Thank Post
    I've got it running on a 4 year old laptop and it's fine. Not quick mind, but it works.
    If it were me, I'd factor in some training from a proper company as it is a very complicated piece of software to get the best out of.
    Rich

5. Thanks to Tricky_Dicky from:

Thank Post
    The download manager works fine here so I don't think CLEO have it blocked in any way.

We've tried to steer people away from Photoshop (in most cases it's totally under-used - even in our Art department) and towards some of the free products. GimpShop being one.

7. Thanks to jcollings from:

Thank Post
    just managed to get the download manager window to open (but still no data came through) in Opera so I could get at the full URL it's pointing to...

I've found direct links to the 2 files it was trying to download (in case anyone else has this trouble in the future) but I better not post them here - PM me if you need them

saved them to a folder and ran the .exe..... and it works

@JCollings:
    Couldn't get any data through the download manager even going strainght out to Lancaster - but it doesn't matter I've got it now thanks

I'm just putting together a few suggestions of which Photoshop is one - we've got a concurrent licenses for Photoshop 6 (old) and Elements 2, which are used at the mo.

New versions of Elements and Paint Shop Pro are also in the frame, and I'll get that GimpShop, too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread