+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Eclipse - Library Software in Technical; I imagine that there would be trouble with the fingerprint stuff, no matter how much you explain it. Our local ...

Thank Post

Re: Eclipse - Library Software

I imagine that there would be trouble with the fingerprint stuff, no matter how much you explain it.

Our local rag had a letter from the UK independant party saying it was infringing the rights of the kids to have their fingerprints taken for their canteen software.

Thank Post

I have found Eclipse to be set and run which to me was great. Not like the giant pile of turd called Oliver which we have just installed at my current school.

Thank Post

As a school librarian, I have experience of the Eclipse software... It is in desperate need of optimisation, and there are a lot of bugs. That said though, it does get the job done, if not in a timely fashion.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravening_Wolf
    I have found Eclipse to be set and run which to me was great. Not like the giant pile of turd called Oliver which we have just installed at my current school.
    I hate it too and softlinks support is a JOKE!

Thank Post

It's a bit clunky, but works most of the time. MLS support is very good.

I've got the Eclipse.net upgrade sitting on the floor at the moment. Hope to use some of their web parts to integrate into Sharepoint in the future.

Thank Post

We were using alice softlink but thankfully the librarian wanted to keep it all local on the library-master machine. The only interaction that it had with the network was backup to a network share.

It was horrid

Thank Post

We're just about to upgrade from Alice to Oliver

Thank Post

Kearton - whatever you do, think very carefully before you do that! Softlink's support is poor beyond belief. We had the system installed on August 22nd 2006 and nearly a year later, the initial problems with the system are still not resolved.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravening_Wolf
    Kearton - whatever you do, think very carefully before you do that! Softlink's support is poor beyond belief. We had the system installed on August 22nd 2006 and nearly a year later, the initial problems with the system are still not resolved.
    We are having a hellish time with there support too. Basically the instructions are always completly wrong and there support does not have a clue.
    What problems did you have Ravening as we are in hell trying to resolve issues here? (but we just got it)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73
    I imagine that there would be trouble with the fingerprint stuff, no matter how much you explain it.

Our local rag had a letter from the UK independant party saying it was infringing the rights of the kids to have their fingerprints taken for their canteen software.
    We use fingerprinting for the library at our school. It is very successful. I don't really know how it infringes on a child's rights. It's not as if you can use it for anything other than books/food.

Thank Post

Our biggest problem was that the initial data conversion was not completed corectly; a fact which only came to light after the system had gone live and we had begun issuing books. This is the problem we are still working through - hopefully all will be sorted by next term, but who knows?!

There was also a major problem right at the beginning of the project with getting our barcode scanner/magnetic wand to work correctly with Oliver. The instructions supplied to the Softlink engineer, the Plescon engineer and myself all missed the first and most important step of creating a bat file to open a com port and set some security. Fortunately this is now resolved.

For half-decent support, try and get hold of Peter Barr or Simon Rathbone as they seem to be the best at answering technical queries. We have actually been in contact with our LEA legal department regarding the current situation.

Oliver seems to be a great solution and we are impressed by its features, but if the initial installation doesn't work out, I suspect your relationship with Softlink won't either...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sqdge
    We use fingerprinting for the library at our school. It is very successful. I don't really know how it infringes on a child's rights. It's not as if you can use it for anything other than books/food.
    Its more the sense of if its stored then the police ALWAYS have the right to get the data in a investigation. Parents dont like the idea of a repository of there pupils fingerprints being stored and the police using them in the future (as if its stored, by law the police always have rights).
    That just shows how many parents/pupils are crims

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour
    Quote Originally Posted by sqdge
    Its more the sense of if its stored then the police ALWAYS have the right to get the data in a investigation. Parents dont like the idea of a repository of there pupils fingerprints being stored and the police using them in the future (as if its stored, by law the police always have rights).
    That just shows how many parents/pupils are crims
    I believe that the system uses some pitiful recognition though (3-points comes to mind) which means that the data held about the fingerprint is equally lacking. The fact that it is only one finger is also enough to stop it being useful information in a criminal investigation.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ravening_Wolf we have a problem (one of many) right now where Oliver cant update the book images from Library.ox.ac.uk
    We tell softlink "how do we setup the proxy details?" and then they claim everytime it does not need proxy settings.
    How did you get yours to work?
    We have ISA 2004 btw.

Thank Post

@ZeroHour

Yeah, that's right, it doesn't need the proxy details... or more precisely it won't use them.

It needs a route to the server that doesn't use any proxy, we found we had to put it into a special VLAN on the outside of our firewall for it to work properly. I did eventually sort out our PIX/Router to send the packets correctly.

Your gateway device needs to have a rule that allows access from the library machine (I set mine a static in the DHCP), to the remote public IPs, without any sort of authentication involved. It uses an unusual port too, can't remember what it was.

We stopped using these features when we got a new Librarian... so it is no longer an issue...

This Librarian is also quite keen on changing the Library software, for something else...

We still have issues with our system, I wanted to integrate the users with the Windows AD, and the instructions I got (for Apache), were related to Moodle.. which has a different file structure.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast