+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Eclipse.net Barcode Scanner? in Technical; Off the top of my head I can't remember the characters it sends, but all it needs to be setup ...

Thank Post
    Off the top of my head I can't remember the characters it sends, but all it needs to be setup to do is send a control character before every barcode and I believe a CR at the end.

Anyone who's got a scanner setup and working for eclipse, just scan something with it into notepad and you'll see what characters it sends. Any barcode scanner can be setup to work quite easily, normally using the control code book which comes with it - I did our new one in about 2 minutes once I knew the characters it sent.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Off the top of my head I can't remember the characters it sends, but all it needs to be setup to do is send a control character before every barcode and I believe a CR at the end.

Anyone who's got a scanner setup and working for eclipse, just scan something with it into notepad and you'll see what characters it sends. Any barcode scanner can be setup to work quite easily, normally using the control code book which comes with it - I did our new one in about 2 minutes once I knew the characters it sent.

Mike.
    That's the odd thing - in notepad it just appears as the code read and a line break, yet in MS Word or Wordpad, it adds a bulletpoint or number point at the start of it. That is the ONLY difference we can see, but it must mean something otherwise it would work, right?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    That's the odd thing - in notepad it just appears as the code read and a line break, yet in MS Word or Wordpad, it adds a bulletpoint or number point at the start of it. That is the ONLY difference we can see, but it must mean something otherwise it would work, right?
    I'll have to try ours again sometimes. Off the top of my head I think it sends a ~ before each code, but I can't remember precisely as it was a while back when I programmed our new one.

Thank Post
    So we eventually got through to MLS on the phone (long wait). It seems it needs the character ~ before the code to work, once they told us this it was fine!

Also annoyingly, they said if our old barcode scanner is faulty, we can send it back to MLS and they'll fix it for free and send it back for free! Just to let anyone else know that in case you buy a new one like we did.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    So we eventually got through to MLS on the phone (long wait). It seems it needs the character ~ before the code to work, once they told us this it was fine!
    Ah you beat me to it - we bought some WASP readers and had the same problem. Also found that we had to set the keyboard to US to get it to read the correct key when setting it (??) - much better now we bought USB readers - not the old serial type.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Interesting that you say you had to set it to US before you got the right key.

I just reprogrammed a heron D130 after the original scanner packed up and I had to make sure that the scanner was set to UK in order for the right prefix character to be sent which as has been stated is a ~

I now have a wasp 8905 which I bought as replacement for our asset management now that I've given our heron to the librarian but I don't like it so I'm going to try and program the wasp for the eclipse and get my heron back the only issue appears to be that the keyboard setup is only usa, french, german and some others but no english and as my system locale is UK programming the scanner for ~ actually generates a

Logged a request with wasp but not heard back yet.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Ah you beat me to it - we bought some WASP readers and had the same problem. Also found that we had to set the keyboard to US to get it to read the correct key when setting it (??) - much better now we bought USB barcode readers - not the old serial type.
    The usb barcode reader still could not offer some help?

Thank Post
    If you're looking any quick working barcode reader, check this out. Good enough for me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12