+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Symantec Backup Exec 10d Price in Technical; Ok, well I am going to spend some money on getting this program which I don't mind but I got ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

Symantec Backup Exec 10d Price

Ok, well I am going to spend some money on getting this program which I don't mind but I got a price from Ramesys who I normally use and I was rather shocked at the price they quoted!

I need a 1 user licence for Server 2003 for it, I dont need or want any modules or options on it, just the main program, just wondering what others had paid for it, I am looking at close enough to £300 + media for it which I thought was a bit high, but just wondering if anyone else would mind telling me what they paid in the area of.

Thanks

BTW, It has to be 10D for USB tape drive support.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts

Re: Symantec Backup Exec 10d Price

Why do you need to use BE instead of NTBackup?

Ben

Thank Post

I have tried it and its not reliable with my tape drive, its ok if I am there each day to tell it to start and ensure its running ok but I am only on-site once a week, if that, so its got to run and be trusted. I have tried NTBackup and what the drive came with (Freecom branded HP drive - think its Yoesemite software) but i just know and trust BE. Its been on 60 day eval and its not missed a beat so its the one for the job really.

Thank Post

Have you looked at BackupAssist for NTBackup makes ntbackup a joy to use.

Ben

Thank Post

At another site I tried the eval and it was ok. I guess I have been spoilt in the past with BE, I have used BE since about V5 so am used to it and progressed with it so I am not impressed by much else (Also the fact that for V9 I have the complete open option suite so have the full works )

I could give it another go but I have the school on my back saying we are still trialing and the system does still not backup reliably every day (if it fails) as its one server for everything and they are really worried about loosing vital data and the way NT backup performed if I had not kept checking it, it would have been a disaster for them as it failed to backup 9 time out of 10, even when I stood there and watched it through for a few Gb of data, it would just randomly stop for no reason at all. I will keep it in mind as an alternative, but we have been experimenting and trialing since March so its been going on long enough now for them I think.

Thank Post

I always used to use Backup Exec and bought it for this school when I moved here but I constantly had problems with it on one server.

I like the email funtionality of BackupAssist so you get emails to remind you to change tapes and when the job is complete or if it didn't complete.

Ben

Thank Post

I recently purchased two copies of Backup Exec 10d from Probrand and it set us back £315.82 per licence (including media). Certainly expensive, but cheaper than the grief you'll get if data gets lost

Thank Post

Oh well seems that must be the sort of price, one of the places I was at it came with the tape drive from the countys IT team, no mention of seperate licence, just came with it, the full thing which surprised me, but it was there name on the supplier info so if it was illegal it would be bounced straight back at them, but I digress. Looks like I may try Backup Assist again and see what that does....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread