+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Eclipse.net? Hosted? in Technical; Hello I am considering upgrading from Eclipse2 to Eclipse.net (befre the end of term) as can see many benefits of ...

Thank Post

Question Eclipse.net? Hosted?

Hello

I am considering upgrading from Eclipse2 to Eclipse.net (befre the end of term) as can see many benefits of getting the school library catalogue online. However, I'm not sure whether to opt for the hosted version of .net or rely on my very nice, but extremely overworked IT dept. Does anyone have any comments on how eclipse.net is working for them? What are the advantages/disadvantages of going for the hosted version?

Please help!

Thank Post
    From a technical point of view, if you want control over Eclipse - I would host it internally. You get 100% control over it and it's local to your network - even if the net is down because it is internal you'll still be able to use it.

The plus side from hosting it would obviously be the fact that they would carry out all updates and as such, would be a perfect system. But, there is no reason for yours not to be a perfect system (if you have a support contract - which I would strongly advise!)

Hope it helps

Thank Post
    Why don't you ask your overworked IT department whether they would prefer risking outages when your outside line dies or adding Eclipse to their workload? Pretty pointless asking us to decide for them.

Anyway, I have it hosted internally and for the most part it looks after itself (our librarian does all administration and I just make sure it backs up and apply upgrades, and do the annual scary sacrificial dance to make all the kids move around properly), so you can point that out to them if it helps.

Thank Post
    we run Eclipse.net internally and at times it can be very slow (and it's not down to our network/servers)...... Dread to think of the response time if externally hosted.

You'll lose some functionality in the move; reports do not work properly in Eclipse.Net so be prepared to do some exports to Excel to get correct figures/charts. Getting the catalogue online though is worth some of the pain.

Thank Post
    we host it internally and it's installed on our RM server.

no real problems with it so far, installed it on server, installed client programs and it's good to go.

after the installation we haven't had to touch it apart from updates.

client machines need to be a bit meaty to run it smoothly; we have it running on a celeron 2.8ghz and 768ram client machine fine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We are also looking at this at the moment, and we will be hosting it internally mainly for the reason we have more control over it. i will also be buying the webparts so we can integrate it into our sharepoint solution.

James.

Thank Post
    We run it internally. It's a nightmare, I've fixed it countless times, but am never quite sure how I end up sorting it out. Should really write down what I do

Thank Post
    I installed it in that school I used to work in about 2 years ago. Fairly straight forward to install (from what I remember). As people have said, only time I really touch it when we had updates to do. When our librarian went for it, went didn't get told until it turned up on my desk.

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehill06 View Post
    I installed it in that school I used to work in about 2 years ago. Fairly straight forward to install (from what I remember). As people have said, only time I really touch it when we had updates to do. When our librarian went for it, went didn't get told until it turned up on my desk.

Steve
    yeah i am also going to install it :-) save on install costs! already getting it for 1500 so bargin! < that include's webparts and i dont have to pay it until next financial yr!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread