+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, studio ct in Technical; I just don't believe it One of my schools has just bought Textease Studio CT and I've just looked at ...

Thank Post

studio ct

I just don't believe it

One of my schools has just bought Textease Studio CT and I've just looked at the network install instructions - I have to install it on the server (fair enough) and then go and install it manually on each client workstation

I thought the software deployment world had moved on in last 10 years!!!! and it was just me that was living in the past

Back to AutoIt then

regards

Simon
    PS The instructions even refer to installing on Win98 - even I don't have any Win98 clients.

Jon
    Thank Post
    You can safely ignore those instructions...

I have it installed quite happily in several schools using the msi and group policy to deploy.

3. Thanks to Jon from:

SimpleSi (2nd December 2009)

Thank Post
    Have you got any instructions on how to do that - will it pick up sn/key automatically???

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    we contacted Texttease support, they emailed back within a day msi for the serial number/key.

7. Thanks to HiredGoon from:

Thank Post
    I need more help than this please - remember I'm not called simplesi for nothing

I never had to make an msi before - I just greatfully use them use them in a batch file to ease my workload

So, will RM do me a "special" msi with my sn/key in it?

What about setting path defaults for load/save wordbanks etc?????

Do I need to map a drive letter to the server or will the mis just install it locally - how are updates handled????

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    yeh rm/or Lightbox Education just provided a msi for the serial no. And we just deployed the textease msi and the serial no. msi through Group policy to all clients.
    Havent applied any updates as of yet.
    Dont know about you but a 2nd Cd called Resources was also provided, which they advised to install locally, which we did.

Hope that helps?

Jon
    Thank Post
    If you run the setup.exe it will extract the msi into a temp directory, can't remeber where but if you search for textease.msi you will find it.

as has been said if you call softease ( in my opinion thier support is excellent) they will supply you with an msi for the serail/key.

The resources are best installed on the server, you can make a .reg file to get textease to use this shared location for resources, again cant remember off the top of my head what it is exactly but remeber it being fairly straightforward...

11. Thanks to Jon from:

Thank Post
    We are looking into changing the installation instructions as the current network installation is a fairly big job with having to visit the clients. It is also difficult with this install method in regards to applying program updates, so we advise using Group Policy where possible.

As mentioned we do supply msi’s for the program, resources and serial/key. Anyone who needs an msi for the serial/key only need to call support (Studio CT only, not Studio Plus or Textease 2000).

Lightbox Education (formally Softease)

13. Thanks to softease from:

Thank Post
    Thanks to Paul at Lightbox I've got an msi with my sn/key

But still left with problem of defining save/load folders and I'm assuming I still need to lock path to resources like old Textease Studio

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by softease View Post
    We are looking into changing the installation instructions as the current network installation is a fairly big job with having to visit the clients. It is also difficult with this install method in regards to applying program updates, so we advise using Group Policy where possible.

As mentioned we do supply msi’s for the program, resources and serial/key. Anyone who needs an msi for the serial/key only need to call support (Studio CT only, not Studio Plus or Textease 2000).

Lightbox Education (formally Softease)
    FormERly not formALly

Pedantry aside, I'm glad you are taking this issue up. It is a shame that it has taken this long for the company to recognise that one machine at a time just is not practical in most schools.

Lightbox Education (formerly Softease) are not alone in this sadly. While Textease's instructions imply installATion is a PITA, at least there is an msi available. Sadly too many other companies don't seem to recognise that, in the real world, schools have had networks and large numbers of computers for many years.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 2nd December 2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Thank Post
    The man Paul at Lightbox has emailed me with
    To define the save/load path look in Tools > Options > Administration.

The program resources (Resources tab) are locked to the top level (Textease Resources folder), so users cannot browse above that. The My Resources tab is a free for all so users can browse anywhere. You can restrict this on Resource Bank tab, still in the Options.

Once you set the options the files are updated in C:\Program Files\Softease\Textease 6\Option so you can copy the Option folder to the same location on each pc to save setting them in the program.
    So I've installed it on one workstation and I'm just configuring it and then i'll try deploying the 3 msi's and copy the options folder using a batch file

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    well that failed - couldn't save from options said I didn't have permission to save to this location

And as you all know, I give everyone and everything full read/write anywhere, anytime!

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    mm - it seems to have actually saved my changes so I'm back on with it

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    FormERly not formALly

Pedantry aside, I'm glad you are taking this issue up. It is a shame that it has taken this long for the company to recognise that one machine at a time just is not practical in most schools.

Lightbox Education (formerly Softease) are not alone in this sadly. While Textease's instructions imply installion is a PITA, at least there is an msi available. Sadly too many other companies don't seem to recognise that, in the real world, schools have had networks and large numbers of computers for many years.
    Installation not installion

In any case we have had msi's for our products since 2005 so it hasnít just been a recent addition. We do understand the systems that schools utilise and do our best to accommodate them, whether itís vanilla, CC3 etc. Iím sure we will continue to make msiís available for future products to make it easier for you guys.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast