+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Easy way to add SMART Gallery to SMART Notebook? in Technical; Hi guys, I have recently gone into a school where they have SMART Notebook on all networked PCs, but they ...

Thank Post

Easy way to add SMART Gallery to SMART Notebook?

Hi guys,

I have recently gone into a school where they have SMART Notebook on all networked PCs, but they don't have the gallery content installed. I have copied the gallery content to a network share and then by adding the "\admin" switch to the Smart Notebook shortcut I have gone in as admin and added the Gallery content in. This works great.

I have done all the PCs in the IT Suite in this way and was just wondering if their was a easier way to specify the path to the gallery, maybe a .reg entry that could be put in a script etc..? They will need the same doing in the classrooms too and the second IT Suite.

I have set \\dc1\smartgallery as the path to the machines I have done manually.

Please help save my fingers! :P

Thanks

Re: Easy way to add SMART Gallery to SMART Notebook?

had a quick look in the registry dont know if these are any help

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\DCC0179C09A254544B9BE125F5BB1959\Insta llProperties

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{C9710CCD-2A90-4545-B4B9-1E525FBB9195}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SMART Technologies Inc.\Gallery\TeamContent\gallery.smarttech.com

Have you tried searching the registry affter you have run the admin install for the new gallery location?

Thank Post

Re: Easy way to add SMART Gallery to SMART Notebook?

Download the gallery as a separate file from the smart website then install onto your server.
    Look at the admin guide (also on the smart website) and it will tell you the command lines you can use. To make it run from the network, I use:
    Code:
    "\\server\Installer Files\System\SMART Essentials 1\SMART Essentials For Educators\Gallery setup.exe" --register -remote /destination "\\server\Program Files\System\SMART Essentials 1\"
    to make it copy the content to the local PC I use:
    Code:
    "\\server\Installer Files\System\SMART Essentials 1\SMART Essentials For Educators\Gallery Setup.exe" --installall -allowdownload /destination "C:\Program Files\SMART Board Software\Essentials for Educators"
    I use WIWW to make a MSI wrapper to run the commands then deploy using active directory.

Thank Post
    How you can do it in SMART Notebook 10? (Easy way to add SMART Gallery to SMART Notebook)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lanae View Post
    How you can do it in SMART Notebook 10? (Easy way to add SMART Gallery to SMART Notebook)

Try the Search function?

Thank Post
    How about mapping a drive to it?

Thank Post
    I've just done this myself, the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SMART Technologies\Gallery\TeamContent\gallery.smarttech .com\ImsManifestXml

points to where the gallery is stored.

I wrote the script below to complement the MSI, it checks for version 10 and updates the gallery location and removes all the unneeded shortcuts!

Hope this helps!

Jez

Code:
    On Error Resume Next

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

If WshShell.RegRead ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SMART Technologies\Notebook Software\Install Information\Notebook Version") = "10.0.187.1" Then

WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SMART Technologies\Gallery\TeamContent\gallery.smarttech.com\ImsManifestXml", "S:\SMART Notebook 10\SMART Essentials For Educators\imsmanifest.xml", "REG_SZ"

If objFSO.FileExists("C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\SMART Board Tools.lnk") Then

objFSO.DeleteFolder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\SMART Technologies"
    objFSO.DeleteFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Notebook Software 10.lnk"
    objFSO.DeleteFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\SMART Board Tools.lnk"

End If

End If

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CM786 View Post
    Hi guys,

I have recently gone into a school where they have SMART Notebook on all networked PCs, but they don't have the gallery content installed. I have copied the gallery content to a network share and then by adding the "\admin" switch to the Smart Notebook shortcut I have gone in as admin and added the Gallery content in. This works great.

I have done all the PCs in the IT Suite in this way and was just wondering if their was a easier way to specify the path to the gallery, maybe a .reg entry that could be put in a script etc..? They will need the same doing in the classrooms too and the second IT Suite.

I have set \\dc1\smartgallery as the path to the machines I have done manually.

Please help save my fingers! :P

Thanks
    If I'm reading this correctly, you're using a network share as where the galleries are installed and not copying them to the local hard drive. While I went for installing the content on the local drive instead, the commands are basically the same. I was having trouble getting the Essentials and LAT installed when installing Notepad via the Install Manager. No matter what I did (running from a batch file as we don't have AD to push the updates out) I couldn't get it to install the galleries as part of the setup. I kept getting a source not found error. I made a batch file that I now use to install the drivers, Notebook, the Flash 10 components needed, Essentials, and LAT with no problems.

The relevant parts you need would just be the two commands (or one if you're not installing the Lesson Activity Toolkit) for installing the galleries. I'm not using a share, so you have to change the command slightly to get it to work, but what I think you need would be something like this:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMART Technologies\SMART Product Update\Gallery Setup.exe" --register -remote /destination "\\dc1\smartgallery"
    I don't know exactly how you have your share setup, so I'm not entirely sure that is correct. I hope this helps or at least gets you pointed in the right direction.

EDIT: I just saw this is what eean posted earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by McDonnJD; 24th March 2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Typos, spelling, general corrections, etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread