+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, ProEngineer School Edition Wildfire 4.0 in Technical; Hi everyone, I first tried creating a package for this software usinng the RM Application Wizard, but it didn't work. ...
    Thank Post

ProEngineer School Edition Wildfire 4.0

Hi everyone,

I first tried creating a package for this software usinng the RM Application Wizard, but it didn't work. I was told that RM App Wizard is no good with handling large packages.

So I am now at a stage where I have installed it locally on to the PC. Created the shortcuts. I can load the software when logged on as systemadmin or a teacher but NOT as a student. There are no error messages to indicate permissions issue.

First of all does anyone use this package and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post

Pro|ENGINEER on CC3

Hi,
    A workaround for the package CC3 package builder problem is to copy the install folders and desktop shortcut for Pro|ENGINEER onto the other machines. Note: This only works for the License server installation option and not the standalone option.

Pro|ENGINEER needs to run scripts to work so amend the student profile to allow scripts, this is a sub option in allow access to C: prompt. Note: You do not need to allow students access to the C: prompt only the sub option to run scripts.

Regards
    Tim

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TimB View Post
    Hi,
    Note: You do not need to allow students access to the C: prompt only the sub option to run scripts.
    And what are the security implications of just turning on the command promt script processing for students exactly?

Thank Post
    We know of many schools using this method successfully to allow Pro|ENGINEER and presumably other software that uses scripts to run.
    Preventing scripts from running for pupil profiles is confined to certain brands of network so I assume the brands that allow scripts to run by default are happy with this.

Thank Post
    We know of many schools using this method successfully to allow Pro|ENGINEER and presumably other software that uses scripts to run.
    Preventing scripts from running for pupil profiles is confined to certain brands of network so I assume the brands that allow scripts to run by default are happy with this.

Is there a list of scripts that need to be run or is there a specific location that they execute from?

The reason I ask is we use software restriction policy to ban all scripts and exes but you can exclude certain folders or files.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Doesnt really answer the question now does it, and by certain brands you mean RM then i can tell you i have not come across any other software titles that require this and i have installed many many software titles a number of which are utter rubbish. PTC prodesktop doesnt seem have have this problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Is there a list of scripts that need to be run or is there a specific location that they execute from?

The reason I ask is we use software restriction policy to ban all scripts and exes but you can exclude certain folders or files.

Thanks.
    Indeed adding some path or or hash rules would be preferable.

Thank Post

Angry Pro Engineer Wildfire 4 install

Just been given the latest edition of ProEngineer Wildfire 4 (Date Code M092) to install ("You have plenty of time to install it , we don't want it until after break tomorrow").

Tested it by installing on an stripped out RM build machine as a local install because of the size (2GB+) - it works, OK it throws up warning messages because it wants to go off to the internet but it works.
    The problems start when you want to put it onto a full network configured machine. It will work for someone with administrator access but only once and then you have to restart the machine, the browsing feature is great, it allows you to see all the drives everywhere on the network and delete files anywhere!

At the moment the plus point is it doesnt work for a student user at all, I spoke to RM about this and found out that there is some clever person out there in the wild who has found a way to make it work for student users.

Apparently the program writes a batch file when it starts up then runs it and then deletes it all at startup, the solution is apparently to allow this batch file to run by adding an exception so it can run and do its job. Me, I am not clever enough to solve this on my own, and the RM guy wasnt allowed to give me contact details for the wizz kid, (RM guy did go away and try to persuade the powers that be to let him but no go). HELP!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This seems like the thread to attach this query to:

I am currently working up an image for a laptop including ProEngineer 4. The software works before SysPrep and image collection but not after.

I un-installed ProEngineer 4 and reinstalled ProEngineer 4 on the imaged station in the hope that an install on a per-machine basis would solve it [ProEngineer 4 is installed per-machine where it works right now: so it is not a profile issue]

Does SysPrep/Ghost/Image Collection make changes to the system that somehow prevents ProEngineer 4 from working?

Is there a fix for this?

If there is no fix I will have to start on the image again [all that invested time lost ]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Note that version 5.0 is now out. Which has some of the security problems removed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robk View Post
    Note that version 5.0 is now out. Which has some of the security problems removed.
    Can't work on version 5: Technology staff are already geared up for version 4. Changing to 5 would cause me no end of grief with staff complaining about changes being made without consultation.

Thank Post
    Hi DaveP

I have the same problem with Wildfire 4 and Wildfire 5 on an imaged computer (Windows 7 AIK imageX/sysprep) as you.
    Have you found a solution to the problem? How to make Wildfire work on the imaged machine without having to re-install?
    Thank you

cmgui

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    This seems like the thread to attach this query to:

I am currently working up an image for a laptop including ProEngineer 4. The software works before SysPrep and image collection but not after.

I un-installed ProEngineer 4 and reinstalled ProEngineer 4 on the imaged station in the hope that an install on a per-machine basis would solve it [ProEngineer 4 is installed per-machine where it works right now: so it is not a profile issue]

Does SysPrep/Ghost/Image Collection make changes to the system that somehow prevents ProEngineer 4 from working?

Is there a fix for this?

If there is no fix I will have to start on the image again [all that invested time lost ]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgui View Post
    Hi DaveP

I have the same problem with Wildfire 4 and Wildfire 5 on an imaged computer (Windows 7 AIK imageX/sysprep) as you.
    Have you found a solution to the problem? How to make Wildfire work on the imaged machine without having to re-install?
    Thank you

cmgui
    The solution we have adopted [after much experimentation] is to image the machine without Wildfire 4 join it to the domain and add Wildfire 4 when all other network configurations are completed.

Thank Post
    We have an RM network and faced this same issue of students not being able to run Wildfire 4.0 a while back.

The issue with this application is that it uses the command prompt to do some work as it loads. The RM Staff UserType does allow staff access to the command prompt but the Standard (Student) UserType doesn't and it also disables the use of script files, which is in this case the issue. We altered the Standard (Student) UserType to allow dos scripts to run but still disabled direct access to the command prompt by members of that UserType. You can find the offending setting under the Software Restictions settings of the UserTypes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread