+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, GL online assessments in Technical; Is anyone using this company for online testing? Up to now the school (Primary Years 3 to 6) have been ...
    Thank Post

GL online assessments

Is anyone using this company for online testing? Up to now the school (Primary Years 3 to 6) have been using GOAL for online assessments, but is now looking at GL. (is that Grenada Learning?) Would like to read any comments/opinions/experiences please.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Used GL Assessments online stuff in a past place I worked, was fine and worked really well after my initial concerns over it all. Made a Serco export with them to pre-stage the tests and was fine. Just needed headphones for each child which was a bit of an annoyance but was fine in the end.

3. Thanks to john from:

leco (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Pop Up Blocker OFF

Latest Firefox & Flash

Direct Conn to Internet

Headphones

all of the above and you'll have an easy ride, some proxys cause issues... we had to recover data by obtaining the POST data from each machine using Fiddler, not something i'd recommend to anyone... especially on the first Friday back after summer!

The testing is easy for the kids to understand and intuitive, I exported from SIMS and then imported - very easy process.

5. Thanks to dwhyte85 from:

leco (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    Pop Up Blocker OFF
    Latest Firefox & Flash
    Direct Conn to Internet
    Headphones
    Yes needed all of those for GOAL also, thanks

all of the above and you'll have an easy ride, some proxys cause issues... we had to recover data by obtaining the POST data from each machine using Fiddler, not something i'd recommend to anyone... especially on the first Friday back after summer!
    Sorry could you explain this a bit as I don't quite understand what it means.

The testing is easy for the kids to understand and intuitive, I exported from SIMS and then imported - very easy process.
    Do you mean that all pupils have to be imported into the GL system before they can use a test? How does that work in practice? Does the pupil need to select their name from a list or just enter their name at the time of the test?

Thanks for the info.

Thank Post
    You have to import bits of data into a website before you test the students yes, its simple stuff, name, age, class etc very simple all avaliable in your MIS.

Thank Post
    Isn't that yet another set of school data being exported to yet another web server? A service being hosted on an unknown server beyond the control of the school? Is that allowed?

Thank Post
    Its just simple data to allow them to be tested and you to know who they are for grades, if your that worried make up names, etc but then analysis and reporting at your end will be a royal pain but its only like putting names and stuff on GCSE Exam papers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Sorry could you explain this a bit as I don't quite understand what it means.
    IF you did use a proxy and the sending of data fails the flash app keeps trying to re-send (and fails) you need to install a 3rd party app to see exactly what is being sent from the flash app to the server, you then need to copy all of this data into a compressed file (it's not quite a zip file, diff name) then mail it over - takes 10 minutes a computer and is a total PITA. It's annoying as the CEM tests you can just copy and paste them into a normal text file, takes 2 secs.

The MIS exporting of data on SIMS is literally 10 clicks of a mouse - a custom report, the import has to match what they want of course, you need to check with your LM I guess about whether you should do it, my LM came to me and asked so I had no issues with this side of things.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Its just simple data to allow them to be tested and you to know who they are for grades, if your that worried make up names, etc but then analysis and reporting at your end will be a royal pain but its only like putting names and stuff on GCSE Exam papers.
    Not necessarily "worried" it's just that the tests we used previously didn't have this method. I created a test, say Class 3 English which generated a test number (I didn't set the questions I hasten to add). Pupils in that class entered the number along with their name, dob and gender then started the test. Reports were generated when all tests were completed for the class. Analysis of results was included in those reports, for individuals and the class, setting future targets. Transfer to Assessment Manager in Sims was through a data file also supplied.

Different way of doing things I guess, I'll have to wait and see. As it hasn't yet been decided if GL should be bought, I just wanted some info for if and when. Thanks gives me an idea of what I might need to plan for, always useful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    IF you did use a proxy and the sending of data fails the flash app keeps trying to re-send (and fails) you need to install a 3rd party app to see exactly what is being sent from the flash app to the server, you then need to copy all of this data into a compressed file (it's not quite a zip file, diff name) then mail it over - takes 10 minutes a computer and is a total PITA. It's annoying as the CEM tests you can just copy and paste them into a normal text file, takes 2 secs.
    Thanks, the previously used tests had this issue - no probs though the pupil just re-did the test at a later time (not much bother only 20 or 30 multi-choice questions anyway)

The MIS exporting of data on SIMS is literally 10 clicks of a mouse - a custom report, the import has to match what they want of course, you need to check with your LM I guess about whether you should do it, my LM came to me and asked so I had no issues with this side of things.
    See my above post, similar system for GOAL, thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread