+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Dazzle in Technical; Put in new XP machines over the summer. All machines working fine EXCEPT Dazzle will not save. I have reinstalled, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,793 Posts

Dazzle

Put in new XP machines over the summer. All machines working fine EXCEPT Dazzle will not save. I have reinstalled, tried running it off the server,(which works fine on the server itself) but still no luck. I do have some older XP machines which have Dazzle which save perfectly well, but even if I share the program on one of those and run it from one of my new machines, I still cannot save.
    I have checked all permissions etc, which are exactly the same as those on the XP machines that do work

I have obviously missed something - PLEASE does anyone know what!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Dazzle

Dazzle doesn't work correctly if it's installed after SP2 is put on an XP machine. If you put Dazzle on first then upgrade to SP2 it works fine. Or you can just buy the new version of Dazzle, which plays nicely with SP2 (as I did).

Thank Post

Can't help exactly on this one, but if it's anything like some of the older software we have, you'll need to go through the permissions with a fine tooth comb comparing the old machines with working installs to the new ones. We have a few pieces of software that assume they will have change permissions even though all they need to do is read... We do have an older version of Dazzle, running on 2K machines. Haven't had any problems saving that I know of but it certainly has some other interesting quirks.

Thank Post

Are you chatting about Dazzle 03 - the paint package? (I think there is another program called Dazzle.)
    If so, there is an upgrade available from their website - don't know if it fixes your problem. I have dazzle installed after SP2 and it works fine. I think I installed it using a MSI (snapshot).
    What do you mean by problems saving? Is save up as an option (because you can switch it off).

Thank Post

I have the basic dazzle paint program. The children should be able to save to their file on the server but cant. I did wonder if it is trying to save locally and can't because each user has no access to the C drive of the local machine, but it seems to be able to see their files OK, just cant save to them!
    Havent got to Dazzle03 yet so no upgrades available.
    I wonder if Dazzle03 works OK after SP2, but the basic Dazzle does not.
    As far as I can see I have checked all permissions everywhere and they are the same on new and old.
    I think I will see if we have any money for a new one - unless anyone else can suggest anything else?

Thank Post

Is it accessing the network location via a UNC (i.e \\server\share\folder) or mapped drive letter? - some programs don't like UNCs.
    Perhaps try switching on compatability mode on the shortcut (a long shot!).
    Dazzle 03 is something like £300 for the site licence and it's a pretty good program.

Thank Post

It is accessing via a UNC but this shouldnt be a problem as the older XP machines are perfectly happy with it!
    This is driving me MAD - I really want to know.
    Anyone else confirm that Dazzle doesnt like SP2?

Thank Post

Dazzle requires a patch for it to work on Windows XP - It is called win2k_xp service pack.zip, and is available for download from http://skillsfactory.com/updates

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

I had to use that patch to get it to work on XP machines, as a result I sent it back, If they state its workable with SP2 but failed to tell us it needs patching until I phoned and waited on hold for a while I am not a happy dude. I use Splosh instead, similar type of program, not quite the same but those who have swapped seem happy with it and haven't said it doesnt do the job they were thinking of.

Thank Post

What you have to take into consideration is that Dazzle is just over 9 years old, and that because XP wasn't invented nobody could forcast it's compatibility. It was patched after XP testing as a quick fix until the release of Dazzle 03 , which is compatible with XP - The release of Vista will produce testing of another 1700 GL applications...

Thank Post

As I'm currently struggling with Dazzle myself the info here is pretty useful so thanks for that.

Thought I'd add to it.

My version of Dazzle (seems the old one with Copyright of 2000 on CD) was a pain to uninstall as it couldn't locate the INSTALL.LOG file.. Eventually I spotted it in the Palettes folder (lord knows why?!)..

So, to uninstall I found that you have to go to the dazzle installation folder, doubleclick the unwise.exe then locate the INSTALL.LOG file in the palettes folder and it got rid.

Anyway, now to run a repack all over again with this patch to see if that works better.

Thank Post

i am using dazzle plus v 2.0.0, i use the patch above with xp sp 2, to install it and it works fine.

we used to use an old dos/win 95 program called kidpix, which was perfect for primary school kids,( the new version is too complicated) so i extracted the stamps from it and now we have dazzleplus/kidpix program

no problems saving/opening etc

Thank Post

Just as an update I checked back on this and the save problem is still very much in evidence..

I'm guessing this is an issue caused by the repack or something similar but definitely more work required.

Thank Post

Aimed at nobody in particular...

This application is approximately 9 years old - Why don't you just bite the bullet and upgrade if you are having issues? Dazzle '03 is brilliant and works flawlessly on XP...

Thank Post

:cry: DAZZLE PLUS Patch - www.skillsite.com appears to be down, although a new site has appeared under the url of www.skillsite.co.uk, but appears to be unrelated. Can anyone help by sending me the patch by email?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information