+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Educational Software Thread, Dazzle in Technical; Originally Posted by GL_Guy I'm not outsourced support - I have been a Granada Learning employee since August 2005. Duly ...
    Thank Post

Re: Dazzle

Quote Originally Posted by GL_Guy
    I'm not outsourced support - I have been a Granada Learning employee since August 2005.
    Duly noted.

I know it's not ideal, but things are improving. We have new owners who seem to be injecting new life and energy into GL and are very forward thinking.
    Well I guess that's got to be an improvement. Here's looking forward to the future...

.. and as for 1700 different packages... The word "Ouch!" seems rather inadequate..

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    P'raps a line in your sig or a note on your Avatar would tell us who you are - then we would know where to come for help!
    But considering what I have just said above, why would I do that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts

Sorry, don't get it
    You are prepared to admit who you are when asked, but not to broadcast it to everyone in case you don't get called in 'officially'?
    Why admit it at all?

Also, it is likely that we will all know who you are anyway, very quickly, so your cunning plan to stay below the radar will backfire!
    I should imagine that there are plenty off people off this forum that will need your help anyway so I doubt we would significantly reduce your 'official' workload by much.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GL_Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    P'raps a line in your sig or a note on your Avatar would tell us who you are - then we would know where to come for help!
    But considering what I have just said above, why would I do that?
    Because not everyone will have read this thread in years to come and they will puzzle about things that you might be saying.

We try to persuade suppliers or people who work for a commerical provider of resources / ervices to schools to put the name of the company in their sig ... not a full blown advert (as some people have done previously) but something simple like your name, your job title and the company.

Something like ...

Tony Sheppard
    God
    Univerals Creations (you get the idea)

Some companies just prefer to lurk, but we like everyone to be involved and it saves any members getting worried about having the hard sell by the back door.

Hope you enjoy it here, pop over the the General Chat section and introduce yourself in the introductin sticky.

HAND

Thank Post

WITCH, I know you said you'd gone through permissions thoroughly already, which probably means you know all this, but it may help someone else anyway.

I've used two utilities called Filemon and Regmon in the past with my Win2k workstations to diagnose problems with permissions in software when the obvious things didn't work. Looking on the net for where to download these, I have found that these two have recently been replaced for operating systems post-2k SP4. There is now one utility called Process Monitor. I haven't tried it yet, but the blurb indicates it does the same thing as Filemon and Regmon only better. The link below has information on how to use it and a link to download it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx

There are also links from here to downloads for Filemon and Regmon; or you can Google these to get them.

With Filemon and Regmon, you would set them up to be run as an administrator. Then log in as a pupil, start Filemon/Regmon, type in the admin password to get them running, then start the problem software. At the point it stops running, you halt Filemon/Regmon and capture the data. You can then search for Access Denied on any of the lines produced, which gives you an idea of where permission problems may lie.

Sorry if this is a bit vague - it's a while since I've run these. But hopefully the link will help.

Thank Post

Hi Tony,

I'd rather not if it all the same - Not because I am unhelpful, and not because I am going to try to sell stuff.

If people just come to me for a fix becuase of where I work, then it negates my reason for being here. I like to see how our software works in the real world and the issues it creates for real users - And I especially like to see how you all work around the issues you get. I prefer not to interject with a workaround straight away, and when I do, I always try to offer a free solution - After all, I do support, not sales.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts

Thanks Andie, will try it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd rather not if it all the same.
    I do not think forum members will accept that. When you are masquerading as a 'average' forum poster but you actually work for an educational software supplier.

If people just come to me for a fix becuase of where I work, then it negates my reason for being here.
    We have other forum members here who work for educational hardware/software suppliers and identify themselves as such. This is exactly what happens. Not because we barrage them with questions, but because they voluntarily comment on threads that discuss their area of business or their products. Just as you have here.

I like to see how our software works in the real world and the issues it creates for real users
    Just because someone has a 'I work for blah' signature will not stop anyone slating their product on this forum. I 100% guarantee that!

I prefer not to interject with a workaround straight away
    I fail to see how this attitude is constructive. It's completely diametrically opposed to the aims of this site. Please reconsider.

Thank Post

You obviously confuse me with someone who is concerned with what others "accept" Geoff. I have been in this game for far to long to concern myself with what others think.

To suggest I "masquerade" would imply that I am pretending to be something I am not. If this was the case then I wouldn't have mentioned who I work for.

For me to accurately recreate everyone's working environment would be impossible, so to see how GL's products work within real live environments is a real boon for me and pays dividens when attending development meetings for future products.

I don't want anyone to stop slating the products I support - On the contrary - If people are in difficulty then they should ask for help. If soeone can show me where a product is poorly written or bug riddled, then this is useful feedback for me to feed back up the chain to the development team.

I don't visit this forum on a daily basis, as I have a job to do which takes up a great deal of my actual working day (not that I am trying to suggest that anyone spends all of their working day on here, whilst skiving). I don't visit during my free time unless I'm bored (wife's out, no footy on and I can't be bothered dragging my motorbike out), so the chances of me seeing a new thread which is about one of my company's products and being able to respond quickly are less than slim.

If an administrator is "diametrically opposed" to what I do on this forum, then they are free to banish me from it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

@GL_Guy

PM on the way to you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information