+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Dazzle in Technical; Run the first reg file. Install Dazzle Run the second reg file. dazfix.reg Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Dazzle

Run the first reg file.
    Install Dazzle
    Run the second reg file.

dazfix.reg
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
    "CSDVersion"="Service Pack 4"
    dazfix_postinstall_xpsp2.reg
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
    "CSDVersion"="Service Pack 2"

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by AVService
    :cry: DAZZLE PLUS Patch - www.skillsite.com appears to be down, although a new site has appeared under the url of www.skillsite.co.uk, but appears to be unrelated. Can anyone help by sending me the patch by email?
    Why the hell are you looking on skillsite?

The URL I gave you was for skillsfactory

Best url to have for things Granada Learning, SkillsFactory, Blackcat, SEMERC, Anglia MM etc is The Granada Learning Support Page

Just do a search in the box top left for the application you need help with

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GL_Guy
    Aimed at nobody in particular...

This application is approximately 9 years old - Why don't you just bite the bullet and upgrade if you are having issues? Dazzle '03 is brilliant and works flawlessly on XP...
    Pointless remark - don't you think I would, if I could?
    No money down here at the primary end
    I still have the same problem by the way
    Did you solve it, Contink?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    I still have the same problem by the way
    Did you solve it, Contink?
    Not as yet.. I suspect I'm dealing with a permissions issue though so I'm a little unsure..

I'll let you know when I get a chance to get back in and see what's what.

Thank Post

Not an entirely pointless remark Witch.

I have seen people post in this section of the forum who are struggling to make old versions of applications work within their operating environment when there are free upgrades available which resolve issues they are whinging on about, if only they had common sense to contact the publisher and ask.

Thank Post

Yeah well - free upgrades are all very well but as you know, Dazzle isn't free!

And as for having common sense -sometimes people just don't know the things that you know
    That's what this forum is for, surely

Thank Post

Not an entirely pointless remark Witch.

I have seen people post in this section of the forum who are struggling to make old versions of applications work within their operating environment when there are free upgrades available which resolve issues they are whinging on about, if only they had common sense to contact the publisher and ask.
    Must be nice playing backseat quarterback..

I've lost count of the number of times I've spent hours looking for ways to resolve problems relating to software. Sure some of them relate to patches, etc.. but in some cases (one of them being Granada Learning) you have to spend considerable time figuring out their search system is a pile of cr*p, or that they have sites that their own support people don't know about that have the wrong patch on, etc...

You want an example.. SuperTools.. Have fun looking for patches.

I've had things take days to tie down and others where someone else has done it already and posted here or responded with a helpful bit of info...

So to summarise... Don't sit in judgement.. if you have something useful to add, go ahead.. if not, quit name calling.. Thanks.

Thank Post

OK Blackcat Supertools - An easy one for me as you have picked my best subject - Granada Learning Software!

Suite of 8 applications...

Fresco - Latest version 1.3 from the Supertools 1.3 CD - Available as a FREE upgrade if you have issues with earlier versions of Fresco such as the lack of undo feature.

Logo - Latest version 1.3 from the Supertools 1.3 CD - Available as a FREE upgrade if you have issues with earlier versions of Logo such as unrecognised "command?" errors.

Numberbox 2 - Latest version 1.3 from the Supertools 1.3 CD. Known errors are the CSV importation and usage of autofill function which do not perform as adequately as they could do.

Information Workshop 2000 - Latest Version 2.1.4 from Supertools 1.3CD - Known to produce really large print files which can be bothersome to locally installed and/or shared laser printers with less than 128Mb memory.

Pawprints - 2 patches available at http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/s...p?fileID=33610 - PawprintsUpdate fixes error caused when the copy buffer fills, and PawprintsUpdate2 fixes the error caused as a result of resizing stamp.

Slideshow - Latest version 1.2.0.0 on the Supertools 1.3CD - No known errors, so no patches available.

Decisions3 - Latest Version 1.1.0.8 on the Supertools 1.3CD - No known errors, so no patches available.

Write Away! - Still on V1.0 on the Supertools 1.3 CD - Only patch is for print and print server improvements at http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/s...p?fileID=33601 does not support long filenames as it was originally written for Windows 3.1.

Rule of thumb for ALL blackcat titles:

After installation, check your "My Documents" folder for a hidden folder of the same name as the app you have installed - Delete it, start the app, press CTRL+T and ensure that both temp and save paths point to an area, locally or on your network, that restrictive accounts have full control of.

Any available patches for Granada Learning titles are at http://priorityone.granada-learning.com

To summarise:
    If you assume that I sit in judgement, then it is only because I am in a position to do so - I AM GRANADA LEARNING SUPPORT - I am THE person you assume does not know where the patches are - There is ONLY me providing support for GL CD based media, therefore, I am THE person you judged in your earlier statement.

Do not judge lest you be judged yourself...

Thank Post

To summarise:
    If you assume that I sit in judgement, then it is only because I am in a position to do so - I AM GRANADA LEARNING SUPPORT - I am THE person you assume does not know where the patches are - There is ONLY me providing support for GL CD based media, therefore, I am THE person you judged in your earlier statement.

Do not judge lest you be judged yourself...
    Lets recap here shall we.

1. When I spoke to a tech about 9 months ago they had no idea that the old site (URL published in GL manuals) existed or had information about "patches pending". Those patches were never released and the site should have been setup as a redirect ages ago.

2. Response times on tickets to support have in some instances taken 2 weeks or more.

3. Many those responses totally ignored the information provided in the ticket and told me to do things I'd already specifically noted I'd tried or just gave me a stock answer that were of no relevance.

But to come back to my earlier point.. When you have a package called "SuperTools" and nobody has bothered to create a small document that uses the keyword so that someone can find the support they need it seems a little strange. The whole point of FAQs and support systems is that they help people.

And finally, coming back to your own point:
    You assume I didn't... as per my experiences above; when you get a response that is unhelpful, or no response for weeks on end you tend to give up..

Speaking honestly I'm glad there's someone on here now that can answer questions on Granada, BlackCat, etc.. but my experience of the past 3+ years has been pretty awful so that's coloured my thinking and opinion.

Thank Post

I have a version of Dazzle that wont even install on XP, any ideas?? And we can't really buy a new version...

Craig

Thank Post

I don't do books, I don't do websites - They are the responsibility of someone else within GL. I have only written one section of a manual in my two years employment, which was the installation guide for NFER Nelson's Dyslexia Screener.

What I do is make software work. I provide solutions, and where there are no solutions available I try my best to provide a workaround. I report bugs back to the development team and await an update or patch. If I get a patch, I upload it to http://priorityone.granada-learning.com along with a description. I collate feature requests fro future releases.

To be frank, the quality of response depends entirely on the quality of query. over 90% of the work I get in involves an immediate response to the customer for additional information because their initial "Fresco don't work on my class computer" doesn't really give me anything to go on, and I can't honestly remember the last time a ticket came through that had ALL of the information I needed without me having to ask. They miss off flash version, or just put "latest one", thay mail with print issues, but don't tell me their printer memory, or connection method, they don't include the version of the app they have issue with etc etc.

I am home based, and have a full test rig in my office, as most of the time I have to replicate as accurately as I can, my customer's operating environment in order to find a solution. I support over 1700 Granada Learning applications on all Windows operating systems from 98 upwards, and Apple Mac OS9 upwards - As you must be able to appreciate, I am quite busy for most of my day, which is one reason why our online help may not feature information on the application you are looking for.

We have used this ticket logging system since Sept 2005, and I am the administrator of it - Having just ran off a report, I can tell you that the oldest ticket pertaining to GL CD based software that was in a state of "solution suggested" was in fact only five days old, although it is getting late and I may not have ran the report correctly. If you could give me a ticket number or account name, I can check

Please bear in mind that I cannot use this forum as a replacement for GL tech support - Support is what I do and I am unfortunately not currently in a position that I can afford to have Granada Support dwindle to such an extent that my services are no longer required

Thank Post

Almost forgot - Craig, I sent you a PM

Thank Post

I don't do books, I don't do websites - They are the responsibility of someone else within GL.
    Hmm.. ok, I can't help but think that it would be helpful if someone had told you..

From what I've read you are the outsourced support and as such fed whatever GL themselves actually feel like sending. Add to that it's not really in your own interests for them to actually put more effort into their website FAQ as it means you get more queries.

I know what you mean about the amount of info people send ("it doesn't work" is always very useful :|) but it's not something I've ever done, if anything I tend to go overboard.

Please bear in mind that I cannot use this forum as a replacement for GL tech support - Support is what I do and I am unfortunately not currently in a position that I can afford to have Granada Support dwindle to such an extent that my services are no longer required
    T'is fair enough..

Overall though i can't help but think that having one person handling the websites, another doing manuals and then you handling the actual stuff bumped up the chain.. with none of that actually meeting in the middle or collaborating a great deal it seems that GL are making a rod for their own back.. The whole point of a FAQ for example is that it gets updated with stuff that could avoid someone needing to ask the same question.. I'd have thought that would be a natural part of your remit.. Stuff like addinig in keywords to aid with searching help docs is a no brainer too..

All in all though, as you said, it's not in your interests to go there.. From a customer point of view though, it's not ideal. Ah well..

Thank Post

I'm not outsourced support - I have been a Granada Learning employee since August 2005.

I know it's not ideal, but things are improving. We have new owners who seem to be injecting new life and energy into GL and are very forward thinking.

The main reason for me not updating knowledgebase articles is because we are currently considering a new support tool - This doesn't mean that knowledgebase articles aren't being collated - As I said, I support over 1700 applications at the moment, so as you can imagine, I have loads of knowledgebase articles ready for importation into whichever support tool we use, with loads more stuck in my head because I don't have the time to get them into print... The more I can get into the support tool, the more "self service" hits it gets, the more time I will have to run over our new products and prep more knowledgebase articles for our customers.

Thank Post

P'raps a line in your sig or a note on your Avatar would tell us who you are - then we would know where to come for help!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information