+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Edexcel Promissor piece of junk in Technical; All sorted- special thanks to RinSewand for the phone number he PM'd me....
    Thank Post
    All sorted- special thanks to RinSewand for the phone number he PM'd me.

Thank Post
    Would you mind sending me that that number too?

We had a test scheduled this morning, when the new build came down and then failed.

Thank Post
    ygpm

RwD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    2. If you're using MSI-based software deployment, you can run the AdmSetup.Exe file to install the Administrator, and you will find the MSI files for the Administrator and Microsoft XML 6.0 SP1 under your TEMP folder whilst the installer is running.

3. To install unattended using the MSI, you'll need to use Orca to either either modify the MSI file or create an MST file to create a property called DATAPATH which contains the path to the shared folder on the server (for example: \\examserver\esm_test_centre). To do this quickly in Orca:

i. Open ORCA and then open the Administrator.msi package
    ii. Click the Transform menu and choose New Transform
    iii. Find the PROPERTY table in the list and select it
    iii. Right-click in the right-hand pane and choose Add Row
    iv. Enter the property name DATAPATH and then the value is the path to your shared folder
    v. Click the Transform menu and choose Generate Transform. This will create your MST file which you will need to deploy along with the Administrator.msi. Don't forget you will probably need to deploy the msxml6_x86.msi as well

4. You must ensure that the users who are running the tests have at least MODIFY NTFS permissions on the C:\Program Files\Promissor folder
    Just did this myself, then found your post, anyway it's at Promissor Administrator MSI deployment

I also wanted to change the permissions to add a ESM group which I add exam users to, much more complex, new transform, then follow It is possible to set security on a file, a folder or a registry key from a MSI file
    Use Create a GUID
    I ended up with a
    Component: Component = LockFolders, ComponentId = {guid} (ie like {D3541-23423-24DA}), Directory = LockFolders, Attributes = 0
    Directory: Directory = LockFolders, Parent = blank, DefaultDir = SourceDir
    Add a LockPermissions table, Lock Object = ADMINISTRATOR, Table = CreateFolder, Domain = blank, User = ESMGroup, Permission = 268435456
    And that line repeated for each group, so add BUILTIN Administrators at least
    Then Transform>Generate Transform again

Not actually tested this with a real test yet, but it installed correctly, this MST is attached, the other one needs your own server setting anyway, so no point
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Would be handy to do the same for ESM Server, needs permissions to write to the registry key adding to the ESM Admin group, and a key for the path.

Thank Post
    After the software helpdesk (bunch of monkeys) told me the issue was a problem with the SEGFL firewall blocking http and https ports, i finally found this thread. Thanks to PeterH for his run down of what he did. Following his post got the school sorted.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyluke View Post
    After the software helpdesk (bunch of monkeys) told me the issue was a problem with the SEGFL firewall blocking http and https ports, i finally found this thread. Thanks to PeterH for his run down of what he did. Following his post got the school sorted.
    I don't know if SEGFL is atomwide managed aswell, but their software refuses to work with the atomwide proxy and my own internal isa, so I static assigned ip, and allowed that IP straight through via the atomwide site.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12