+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Careersoft gubbins in Technical; We have Higher Ideas and CID here and for a network install they use what Careersoft call a "lightweight HTTP ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Careersoft gubbins

We have Higher Ideas and CID here and for a network install they use what Careersoft call a "lightweight HTTP engine" to serve the pages. We have it installed on our IIS server. To me it seems downright daft to run two HTTP servers on the same server and considering that HI and CID seem to be written in ASPX, IIS should be able to handle it fine.

Has anyone tried using IIS to serve the pages instead of the Careersoft service? Any success?

Cheers,

Norphy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Re: Careersoft gubbins

Hi Norphy,

No I haven't as the careersoft cd's make it so easy to install their products I have just run with them as they are.

Ben

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy
    We have Higher Ideas and CID here and for a network install they use what Careersoft call a "lightweight HTTP engine" to serve the pages. We have it installed on our IIS server. To me it seems downright daft to run two HTTP servers on the same server and considering that HI and CID seem to be written in ASPX, IIS should be able to handle it fine.

Has anyone tried using IIS to serve the pages instead of the Careersoft service? Any success?

Cheers,

Norphy
    We couldn't make it work with IIS when we looked at this a little while ago.
    We also decided we weren't interested in running a new server service which we knew nothing about either, so we refused to install the software.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

if got cid then should get free internet version of it ask them and they can supply a custom link we use that instead of installing on the servers.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

This is the response I got from them in regards to this query:

Dear Ian

This is a good question. I am afraid the short answer is no.

The pages are aspx pages as you have noted. In fact we do run it under IIS for our Internet version, but that is compiled differently to use a SQL Server back end (instead of Jet) and an altogether different way of licensing, so deploying it outside of our own Internet servers is not really doable.

On the schools release it is compiled differently to make use of some features from the 'lightweight HTTP server' which are not there in IIS, especially for licensing. So the schools release will not run under IIS.

I realise this is a disappointment for you, and I will keep your request in mind for our future planning.

May I help with any further questions?

Yours sincerely

Steve Aze
    Technical Director, Careersoft

Thank Post

Just to add that this remains the case (customer version runs under it's own steam but not under IIS) as of Jan 08, although we keep it under review. Lots of (most?) of people like plexer find it's a really easy way to roll it out across the school - nothing to go on the clients except an http shortcut. One I know rolled it out to thousands of workstations on scores of sites in the space of 40 mins - very happy bunny! - but having them all on the same private network made it easy. Others like russdev are content with their private url access to it on the Internet, if their Internet connectivity is good - nothing to install anywhere except the shortcut. We're trying hard to make sure we keep *everyone* happy, but haven't quite got there yet :-) User feedback is that some users are no more keen to have something mess with their IIS than to have something that keeps it all within its own service on the server :-( Can still do an individual install to each machine, if wanted...
    Steve Aze, Careersoft.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    if got cid then should get free internet version of it ask them and they can supply a custom link we use that instead of installing on the servers.

Russ
    I'm with Russ here - we use web links provided by Careersoft - saves tedious updating every year!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Is it just me or does anyone else wish companies would use open source and freely available/distributable technologies?

For example PHP-based (DB using SQLite or MySQL?) apps can be distributed and deployed on any server of a major platform (Windows, Linux, BSD) at no cost, using Apache or even Lighttpd.

On-topic; we use the website shortcut method.

Thank Post

We install the software onto one of our servers. As we can't rely on the internet connection being up / running faster then dialup.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread