+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Arrggggh! Collins Primary software network installation in Technical; I've been trying to install Collin Primary Maths software over a school network, the installation is successful however when attempting ...

Thank Post

Arrggggh! Collins Primary software network installation

I've been trying to install Collin Primary Maths software over a school network, the installation is successful however when attempting to launch the application the web browser simply says "page cannot be displayed".

The software uses a web-backend with an apache server installation. I've now had this same problem in two schools. The software requires port 8080 to be used which is already open.

Does anyone know how to install this over a standard school network?

If you require any further details, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Thank Post

Change port number

I had problems with it too I think port 8080 is used for the sims document server o I uninstalled and reinstalled on a different port i check which port I used and post back in a bit

Thank Post
    9098 is how mines set and I have checked document server and it does use 8080 but it could be other software stopping it

also have you added the site in to you proxy exceptions (if you use a proxy server for your internet)

just rermembered it was a complete pain to uninstall and i had to remove regisrty keys after unistalling it

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply. Let me know what port you're using. I might try a different port now - will let you know how I get on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alextreadwell View Post
    9098 is how mines set and I have checked document server and it does use 8080 but it could be other software stopping it

also have you added the site in to you proxy exceptions (if you use a proxy server for your internet)
    Yes - I have added the site to the proxy exceptions.

Thank Post
    found this email from collins

<quote>

"Hi Alex - sorry to hear you're having problems with this software. It sounds like you may have tried this already but here is a routine that has worked for others that have had problems:

Uninstall completely. Remove any files related to Collins Primary at installation directory. Go to the registry (run->regedit). HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> delete the Collins Primary keys. Then install the software again and make sure you use the default location to install to.

If you're still having problems let me know and I'll get someone from the development company to give you a call.

Best wishes

Nathan

</quote>

and this email

<quote>
    Dear Alex
    This application an be configured to any available port.

I have attached an installation Guide and a troubleshooting guide.

When you install more than one CD-ROM they will update the installation automatically.

You can access the installed levels when you logon to the product.

If you are still having problems when you have following the attached procedures than I have attached a questionnaire which you can return to us for further support.

I hope this answers your query. If not, please reply to this e-mail with any further information your require. "

</quote>

attachments uploaded
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    I didn't have the chance to do a network install - all the teachers installed onto their laptops at an INSET day, without my knowledge, because "It was easy and the rep said it was OK". Next week I have a number of "swaps" to make as teachers are moving year groups

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alextreadwell View Post
    found this email from collins

<quote>

"Hi Alex - sorry to hear you're having problems with this software. It sounds like you may have tried this already but here is a routine that has worked for others that have had problems:

Uninstall completely. Remove any files related to Collins Primary at installation directory. Go to the registry (run->regedit). HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> delete the Collins Primary keys. Then install the software again and make sure you use the default location to install to.
    Finally sorted!! The above solution from Alex helped - thanks for this.

I'd also like to add that this worked when I installed on C:\Program Files instead of a network apps folder.

Thanks for all your help on this forum. Collins are awful with their support service!!

Thank Post
    Hateful piece of software.
    What on earth makes them think installing an apache webserver on a school server is a good way to install some software? Argghhh.

I do not want another sql process on my servers, or another web server. I especially do not want it just for one piece of occasionally used piece of software. software

It may end up being installed on the front display server, a celeron 600 with 256ram and powerpoint running 24/7, the performance with 30 kids accessing it should make sure collins software is never purchased by our school again.

</rant>

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_baduk View Post
    I'd also like to add that this worked when I installed on C:\Program Files instead of a network apps folder.
    This nugget saved my sanity today...

If you install on a share or outside of the norms it simply will not work... This ICT Coordinator will be read the riot act on running stuff past me in future...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_baduk View Post
    This nugget saved my sanity today...

If you install on a share or outside of the norms it simply will not work... This ICT Coordinator will be read the riot act on running stuff past me in future...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread