+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Digital Blue Version2.0 in Technical; Hey I'm trying to install Digital Blue Movie Producer in a primary school. I'm having some fun doing it! It ...

Thank Post

Digital Blue Version2.0

Hey

I'm trying to install Digital Blue Movie Producer in a primary school. I'm having some fun doing it! It doesn't come with it's own MSI so I have tried creating one using winstall LE. That didn't work very well so have resorted to installing it manually.
    Installed it as the administrator and tested it. All the drivers installed and the software worked fine.
    Logged on and tested it with a student account and got the message that 'in order to run this software you will need to log into the system as a user with administrator privileges.' Now any good techie should realise that giving anybody admin privileges is not a good idea, so I'm currently to figure out how to get around this.
    Does anybody have any ideas what the program needs administrator privileges for? The documentation suggested that it needs it for the driver install and Direct X install. But both have been installed as Admin, therefore should be ok...

Any suggestions or any body who's got this software working and could help me, would be absolutley great

Thanks guys

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Try using the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit on it. You can make a deployable compatibility shim that tells the rubbish app that it is running as admin even if it is not. You would still need to clean up any file/registry access issues (track with regmon and filemon) but this should allow you to get it going.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

plexer (30th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Its the Devils own cackware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The easiest way:

Get them to buy another Camera (£99) - The newer version 3 software comes as an MSI and can be networked easily.

The Version 2 software only comes with a single machine licence (as far as I can remember).

The Version 3 is a site licence.

Oh, and the Drivers for v3 are signed, so no need to wander round every PC plugging it into every USB port to make sure the driver loads!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bollo318 View Post
    Does anybody have any ideas what the program needs administrator privileges for? The documentation suggested that it needs it for the driver install and Direct X install. But both have been installed as Admin, therefore should be ok...

It's been nearly two years since I had the misfortune of having to deal with a digiblue camera so I could be misremembering but I have a recollection of having to "admin-ize" a generic user account with a mandatory profile for students in a primary I supported for the first run of the software before I could remove the admin rights and it would run as a regular user.

Thank Post
    unless its v2.1 you will have to plug the camera in as an admin into every port you want to use it in as its not a certified driver.

i have a script (UNTESTED i made it for the intel microscope but iirc its pretty much the same software)

first on a pc without digiblue run setup /r and install as you want when its finished copy the setup.iss from c:\windows to you install directory

REM --- Check for an existing installation of Digital Blue
    if exist "C:\Program Files\Digital Blue\PC Digital Movie Creator 2.0\DMC.exe" goto _End
    REM --- Deploy to Windows 2000/XP/2003
    "\\server\packages$\digiblue2.1\Install\setup. exe" /s /f1"\\server\packages$\digiblue2.1\Install\setup.is s" /f2"c:\db21.log"
    REM --- End of the script
    :_End

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lots of different workarounds for this, I see!
    Discovered another one myself, based on the age-old bug of XP not finding drivers that are already there.

Plug in the hardware in an admin account
    Windows sees that it needs drivers. Prompts to install.
    You select "automatic" and it starts installing. Box pops up whinging that it needs the driver files. But they're already in location (mostly c:\windows\system32\drivers\)
    So you have to type in the location above in the box and away it goes.
    Repeat for each port
    Then works in limited accounts too

To work around this, I searched in regedit for one of the paths that was saved in the edit box that asks you for the files location (can't unfortunately remember the registry path at home). Added a key value for the system32\drivers folder. Lo and behold, it works. Not only did it eliminate the above problem of having to manually type in the location, but it stopped it asking for drivers already present when in limited accounts.

Worth a go, I ended up making a registry file for the digiblues (which I'll grab a copy of when im onsite next week) and did it manually for another USB camera (little egg shaped things) which worked wonders.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    eh? How wierd. I just installed the bloody thing on each of the workstations as an administrator and havent had a problem with it since.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    eh? How wierd. I just installed the bloody thing on each of the workstations as an administrator and havent had a problem with it since.
    it does depend on the version no 2.1 is much better than earlier ones

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, definately gonna check which one i was using when i get back to work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread