+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, ProEngineer Wildfire 4 Installation in Technical; I have been landed with installing ProEngineer 4 over the next week, which seems to be a bit of a ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ProEngineer Wildfire 4 Installation

I have been landed with installing ProEngineer 4 over the next week, which seems to be a bit of a problem....

I have a ptc logon provided by the technology dept, but I don`t have the Product ID for the package!

Can anyone enlighten me to the product code?

I then need to look at doing a silent install, has anyone acheved this? I was hoping for a MSI of some kind on the cds but it looks sadly missing.

Any hints?

RobK

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We just got the new version (after we made comments to them about the last version they rewrote parts of it due to the security issues I found) and I am going to be trying to get it going this summer. I have not tried to use it yet but I will give it a go this week (off work on wednesday though) and let you know what I find at our end.
    Not sure about the product code stuff yet until then.

3. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

robk (30th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did end up getting a response from schools@ptc.com with a product code.

I am not sure if they are user specific, so will refrain from posting, PM if anyone is stuck!

Now to wait for the licence file to be emailed back, and to install flexlm....

RobK

Thank Post
    Great... probably doing this over the holidays... funny how they say it so easy to install on a network now... hmmm... not holding my breath.

Thank Post
    I got this to do next week! Last version I refused to install becuase of the security issues and the fact the licence server didn't bloody work. They reckon it does now so watch this space.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well I got the licence server working ok, but there seems to be no mention of MSI/silent deployment in the PTC docs.

Anyone got there yet?

RobK

Thank Post
    Hi

Ijust get the licence server installed on my RM server. It is now time to create the package on the RM desktop but this is where i get a failure just before the end of the second scan. at this point Rm App wizard point me to a log file which is empty (didn't help at all ) )

I don't know if anyone of you had this kind of issue ? if so did you get it solved ? and how if possible.

Thanks

Humberty

Thank Post
    After having loads of hassles with their unattended "trail" file install, I got in touch with PTC support and they said "don't use it".
    There's a much easier way.
    1. Install the licence server on one of your servers (remembering to open port 7788 in the firewall).
    2. Install Wildfire 4 on one of your PCs, pointing it to the server for the licence
    3. Once complete simply copy the ProEngineer folder to the other client computers (or use something like Advanced Installer to build an MSI).

The only problem with this is you get a 1-2GB install, which takes a while to install (especially if, like us, you also have ProEngineer 3 advanced edition to install)

Richie

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hey
    I have been finally able to try this out again at ours. I found an exploit that allows anyone to access to the C:\ so we have haulted rollout. I found the same exploit months ago (Jan'ish) and they said they were fixing it but the latest build has only one of the holes fixed and not the one that allows you to type C:\ into the inbuilt browser window.

Thank Post
    Why does it have a builtin web browser anyway ?

We already have Firefox and IE...

Would it be possible to send the default homepage to an http address, so for example http://intranet/proengineer/ assuming you then create on ? We've been installing the old version 3 manually only for the new version 4 with the license server to arrive today... yarrg... And I haven't once looked to see what is displayed on the browser page... other than it appears to be on c:\program files\ptc\pro engineer (or similar).

Thank Post
    Do we know if they've made any progress fixing the security hole? Or anyone know who to contact about it? They don't seem to have anyone technicial who you can talk to!

We've refused to install it here because of the browser problem, & our DT Department's attitude is "other schools don't care, why should you?"!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well our school does and our DT agrees with us.
    I have spoken to USA about the issue and explained it all to the guy in charge of the developers so he is looking into it. I will be giving him a prod about a fix this week. He tried to initially brush it off but I have told him its a major issue and eventually he got the point.

Thank Post
    Has anyone found a way of stopping the flamming Open/Save boxes allowing kids to folders at a higher level than the mapped drives?

For a program that has so many darn configuration options, they seem to have totally ignored the fact that schools need SECURITY!

If anyone has an email address for someone in PTC with half a brain, please let me know! We're seriously fed up of these people now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Diello, thanks for the reminded. I emailed the guy again and got this back:
    WE have identified the issue.,..thanks. WE have filed an SPR for the issue and it will be addressed in the next build of Pro/E schools edition.
    My sense is that it will be in the first release of Pro/E WF 5.0 Schools edition out next month on January.
    So its sounding good. I can pm you his details if you want to prod him too but it sounds like its in hand (hopefully)

Thank Post
    Sounds good - thanks for the update ZH

Wouldn't mind the details thanks, though will be nice & sit on them pending WF5!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast