+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Educational Software Thread, ProEngineer Wildfire 4 Installation in Technical; I have been given v5 to install. I am not happy allowing students to run scripts, but would be willing ...
    Thank Post
    I have been given v5 to install. I am not happy allowing students to run scripts, but would be willing to allow the running of bat files from a limited location on the C drive that they cannot write to. Has anyone managed to get this to work?
    I too feel highly insulted by the idea that we are wrong to impose security on our networks.

Thank Post
    I am sorry if you interpret my comments as an insult, this was not my intention. I was simply pointing out there are different approaches to the conflicting requirements to protect IT infrastruture and educate pupils to act responsibly.
    I deal with schools around the world on a daily basis and this limited dataset would suggest UK schools have the most restrictive approaches to network security across the globe. The consequences of restricting pupil access to IT tools is limiting their ability to engage with industry standard software that is being used by design professionals around the world. How do pupils on courses that require programming/macros get on? Are they considered to be scripts and prohibited?
    We can keep children safe in school but what happens when they go home? Who is protecting them in their bedroom where the majority will be subject to little or no IT monitoring or protection?

Thank Post
    If they break the computer in their bedroom they will be without a computer for a length of time - only they are hurt by that. If they break a computer at school they are effecting not only their education, but the education of every other student who needs to use that machine until I can fix it. Programming can be done in a sandbox - a restricted area which doesn't affect any other area.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123